Go to page Previous  1, 2

Hello
Its not completely ahistorical ,other than my made-up pommel, and maybe the fuller. Here`s inspiration pics.

Attachment: 50.15 KB
2d1525430cd4561932b87ca959d9c4ab.jpg

Attachment: 53.68 KB
[ Download ]

Last edited by Karl Knisley on Thu 02 Feb, 2017 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Karl,

I've formed the impression that you're more excited by the process of creation and acquisition than the fact of accumulation. There's certainly nothing wrong with that.

Yeah...the new one is allways the best one :-)
It looks like a perfectly accurate kriegsmesser with a fancy (fantasy) pommel. Enjoy that awesome sword!
The state of my collection.
I mean this to be humorous.

It is a mess. It is all over the house, stacked in corners, having repairs done. Swords need to be polished, some refaced and refinished.

I have more project blades than I can mount. I have more fittings than I can use. The attic is full of long boxes that swords get shipped to me in in case I need one to send a sword out.

My work benches looks like a hay stack made out of swords and armor (booth of them)
Sounds like it's time for a spring cleaning sale here pretty soon, David. ;) .......McM
Hello
Got this today. Maybe could have shortened the grip a couple inchs but otherwise...WONDROUS :- )

Attachment: 188.71 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 224.65 KB
[ Download ]
THAT, my friend, is one SWEET package. Congrats! :D ..McM
An example of similar pommels in historican manuscript (here middle 15th century):

[ Linked Image ]
:eek: I hope you stick to cutting water bottles and pool noodles! :eek: ........ :lol: ..........McM
Guillaume Vauthier wrote:
An example of similar pommels in historican manuscript (here middle 15th century):

Look at that scabbard!!
That scabbard has GOT to be a split-top design of some kind. There's NO WAY you could draw that sword from a solid scabbard. :wtf: ....I'd be interested to see an original, surviving example, but I doubt that's gonna happen. :) ...McM
With the suspension loops wrapped around the scabbard like that a split top wouldn't work. This would be an example of an artists interpretation not necessarily being accurate to real life. The path of the widest part of the blade would need to be maintained all the way until the point the blade is seated inside the scabbard.
Artist's impression of medieval fantasy sword IMO, these are obviously "evil foreign types" mistreating innocent royalty, hence the wicked crooked swords and the 'interesting' helms pulled down to conceal the eyes and leave only wicked bushy, unkempt beards.

What is it illustrating anyone?
Alan E wrote:
Artist's impression of medieval fantasy sword IMO, these are obviously "evil foreign types" mistreating innocent royalty, hence the wicked crooked swords and the 'interesting' helms pulled down to conceal the eyes and leave only wicked bushy, unkempt beards.

What is it illustrating anyone?

I think its the sacrificing of King Priam`s daughter over the tomb/grave of Achilles, after the fall of Troy.
Yes. It comes from the Mirouer Historial from Vincent de Beauvais (ca. 1465). The illustrations are from Maître François. You can found it on the BnF website.

In this book, there are many one or two-handed falchions, not necessarily in the hands of the "bad guys" by the way. There is also some executions with one-handed swords or longswords.
The State of my Collection: finished.

I haven't added any new swords to the collection for several years now; when I see something that would be interesting it's generally priced stratospherically.

I do still cruise the auction and dealer sites, but I am mainly trying to keep up with the prices that antique swords sell for, because as I approach retirement (I'm 65) I am getting nearer to the time when disposing of the collection will be a way to make ends meet without being employed.

-- ElJay
Guillaume Vauthier wrote:
Yes. It comes from the Mirouer Historial from Vincent de Beauvais (ca. 1465). The illustrations are from Maître François. You can found it on the BnF website.

In this book, there are many one or two-handed falchions, not necessarily in the hands of the "bad guys" by the way. There is also some executions with one-handed swords or longswords.

Sorry, I wasn't intending to imply that falchions (one or two handed) meant 'bad guy', just that these are obviously stereotyped 'bad guys' with the hidden eyes and unkempt beards; the rather exaggerated pointed wide bits I think are part of that impression.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: