Patrick Barta's Vasby sword.
Patrick has recreated the Vasby (Sweden) sword pommel and put it on an excellent sword.

He is a true artist!

Paul

Attachment: 171.72 KB
[ Download ]
I'm not surprised. His work is always exceptional in detail. I'm amazed by the attention to detail and precision in his work. Not to mention his impressive ambition to make his own steel for pattern welding. This sword was no exception.
Makes the Del Tin Ringhilt look like a cheap knock off, that is beauty

Last edited by Mike Arledge on Wed 21 Oct, 2009 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Truly beautiful hilt! Do you have a photo of the whole sword, especially showing the blade?
that is beautiful, does not even start to do this justice. that is a mark of someone who loves what he does, and takes exceptional pride in his work! I think I even have a tear in my eye!

great sword. great work.
Re: Patrick Barta's Vasby sword.
Paul Mortimer wrote:
Patrick has recreated the Vasby (Sweden) sword pommel and put it on an excellent sword.

He is a true artist!

Paul

perhaps the best.
ciao
Maurizio
Simply stunning. He truly is an artist of great skill.
Fantastic workmanship! And on a ringsword no less... indeed, can we see more photos?
Awesome work!

His cloissonnee work also seems to be even better than it than it already was.

The green cells at the bottom of the pommel are a very nice detail.
I think this image alone shows the prowess of Patrick Barta's skill. When a single image of a pommel leads to requests to see the entire blade and leads to viewers praising his work, it really shows how good of an artisan Mr. Barta really is.

To be fair, I'm a huge fan of Patrick Bartas work and enjoy just about every piece he produces.
IMO he is the best.

Does anybody have a pic of the original sword or a link with information about it? Thanks.
I love ring-hilts and I can't think of a better craftsman to recreate this type of sword. Beautiful.
I get so excited whenever I look on myArmoury and something to the effect of "new sword by Patrick Barta" is posted.

Another example of a truely fine piece.

Jeremy
New Patrick Barta Sword
As ever, another work of beauty by the God that is Patrick Barta!! Thanks for sharing Paul.

cheers
Dave
patrick bartas vasby sword
Hi everyone at myArmoury,

This is my first post but I have watched and listened for many years, and I feel that I know many of you.

Let me introduce myself . My name is Jerry Monaghan, and I am a sword fanatic.

I am the proud owner of Mr Barta's new masterpiece, the Vasby ring hilt. I was on Patrick's waiting list since Jan 6, 2005, originally for a Sutton Hoo replica, however Patrick offered me the Vasby sword, as a previous order had fallen through, and I gratefully accepted.

The sword is 909mm in length. The blade length is 755mm, width is max. 52mm, with the point of balance 155mm from the guard. Weight is 1090g.

The pattern-welded blade is made from Patrick's smelted steel, using three straight and twisted rods to create the pattern.

The scabbard and scabbard parts are from engraved alder wood, antler, bone, ebony wood and purple leather. The hilt is made from gilted bronze pieces,ebony wood and bone. The engravings of the handle are inspired by a find from Gotland(Sweden). The Vasby pommel is inlayed with garnets(from Tanzania-Africa) and green glass, as in the original. The ring of the original was gold. Patrick has used gilted bronze.

It was worth the wait, and it makes me feel very priviledged to own such a beautiful piece of work after many years of coveting other people's purchases. The trouble is though, that Patrick makes such beautiful swords that I'm back on the waiting list for several more years.

regards

Jerry

Attachment: 20.19 KB
VasbyFull.jpg
Full length Vasby
new Patrick Barta sword
Hi Jerry

On behalf of other members , welcome to this Forum Jerry. Again thanks for sharing this image and information concerning your new 'art work'. :)

I adore ring pommeled swords of this period,

cheers
Dave
Welcome to the forums Jerry! Always good to have another migration age enthousiast. :D
Welcome Jerry,
I wondered who the lucky customer was.

Here is the original pommel -- not attached to a sword when found - as far as I can tell. It is one of a family of garnet and gold pommels that are all similar and found only during the sixth and seventh centuries mainly in Sweden and England with putliers in northern Italy (Lombards). The Staffordshire Hoard has brought a few more to light and this means that, now, there are more known from England than any where else, I believe.

Cheers,

Paul

Attachment: 36.57 KB
vasby1.jpg

Re: patrick bartas vasby sword
Jerry Monaghan wrote:
Hi everyone at myArmoury,

This is my first post but I have watched and listened for many years, and I feel that I know many of you.

Let me introduce myself . My name is Jerry Monaghan, and I am a sword fanatic.

I am the proud owner of Mr Barta's new masterpiece, the Vasby ring hilt. I was on Patrick's waiting list since Jan 6, 2005, originally for a Sutton Hoo replica, however Patrick offered me the Vasby sword, as a previous order had fallen through, and I gratefully accepted.

The sword is 909mm in length. The blade length is 755mm, width is max. 52mm, with the point of balance 155mm from the guard. Weight is 1090g.

The pattern-welded blade is made from Patrick's smelted steel, using three straight and twisted rods to create the pattern.

The scabbard and scabbard parts are from engraved alder wood, antler, bone, ebony wood and purple leather. The hilt is made from gilted bronze pieces,ebony wood and bone. The engravings of the handle are inspired by a find from Gotland(Sweden). The Vasby pommel is inlayed with garnets(from Tanzania-Africa) and green glass, as in the original. The ring of the original was gold. Patrick has used gilted bronze.

It was worth the wait, and it makes me feel very priviledged to own such a beautiful piece of work after many years of coveting other people's purchases. The trouble is though, that Patrick makes such beautiful swords that I'm back on the waiting list for several more years.

regards

Jerry

Thank you for sharing the entire package. Mr. Barta, makes the incredible his standard operating procedure. As has been noted before he doesn't make replica swords, rather he makes historical swords in the modern world.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: