Go to page 1, 2  Next

If you could have any armour from history, what would it be?
Let's say that somehow, magically, you would be granted one suit of armour from any historical period you wanted. This could include a garniture with pieces of exchange, or a single suit, in any style you wanted. For the sake of argument let's say it would magically be scaled to fit you perfectly, and it would be in brand-new condition, as if it had just came from the armourer. What would you choose? (And don't say "an armour made of solid gold that I can sell" or some other trick answer!)

I would pick a late-1500s Greenwich armour, very similar to the one which belonged to Sir James Scudamore, at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, with pieces of exchange, a burgonet, a close-helmet for the tilt, and some other things. Nothing as extravagant as George Clifford's armour; just gilt bands with inlaid designs over blued steel. (The armour shown here was originally blued to a very dark finish; so try to imagine it looking like that. And with greaves.)

[ Linked Image ]

What would you choose?
This early 17th century cuirassier suit supposedly made for a member of the Barberlini family.
I often lurk Flickr looking for pics of armour.
This one is my all-time favorite.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterjr1961/2783...652995786/

Make's me want to go to New York just to see it in person.
I've seen that up close; it really looks amazing. It must have been incredible when it was new.
Nothing fancy, just a basic set of late 14th century armour in the Milanese style in the black with latten accents engraved with passages of Scripture in Latin, complete with maille haubergeon. And barding for my horse. And a horse.
Not a full armour, but i always liked this particular helmet:
[ Linked Image ]
Catalogue number 57 in the "Deutsches Historisches Museum" (www.dhm.de)
These look so cool:) I would like one of them.

Attachment: 137.13 KB
armor.jpg

Attachment: 46.4 KB
hussar (17).jpg

I have to agree with you Norbert, thats why I'm half way through making my own hussar back & breastplate at the moment, with a always wanted project of puffy armour on the back-burner !

Attachment: 18.91 KB
DSCF0042_s.JPG

Nothing fancy but I would like to have the Sigismund of Tyrol suit... ;) Yes, it is one of my favourite armour.

Or a maximilian harness from 1520.
I've already got mine :cool:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=8942
Very cool, Dan.

Mine would be more akin to the Byzantine Empire of this fashion. :cool:

Attachment: 109.16 KB
Varag.jpg

I'd go for Archduke Sigismund of Tyrol's armour,....Beautiful

[ Linked Image ]
I'd take the armor that Edward IV wore at Tewkesbury in 1471. There aren't any records of it, but I bet it would be hard to surpass that suit of battlefield armor.
I spent the past few hours drawing this (if I can't actually have it, at least I can draw it.) I used ArtRage 2. This is an early Greenwich armour with Augsburg-style influences. I'd really like something like that.

[ Linked Image ]
I would love a suit of Henry VIII's armor but in a skinnier version lol
This piece would look really nice in my lounge room.

An Augsburg armour from 1591. Made for Christian I of Saxony by Anton Peffenhauser and decorated by Jörg Sorg the Younger. 6 of the 12 originals survive, and I'm not too fussy about which I'd take.

Attachment: 62.45 KB
Christian of Saxony.jpg

I have the harness I want. The only thing that would improve it would be if it were five hundred years older.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3650/3633093255_5e3ed8bdf5_o.jpg
The legendary armour of Achilles with proof of its origin would be pretty cool. I would feel obligated to turn it over to a museum though.
Jared Smith wrote:
The legendary armour of Achilles with proof of its origin would be pretty cool.

Thank Zeus that Hephaestus kept a receipt book on all of his commissions! :p
Michael Eging wrote:
Very cool, Dan.

Mine would be more akin to the Byzantine Empire of this fashion. :cool:

:eek: Wow, just wow,
I changed my mind. I want this suit of English armour.

Attachment: 27.96 KB
english armour.jpg

Attachment: 26.83 KB
english armour 2.jpg

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: