Scholarly Research on MS I.33
If I was looking to compile a bibliography of all the scholarly works referencing MS I.33, where would I start? I have access to a university library and the research facilities, but I'm frankly at a loss for where I should be checking.
Re: Scholarly Research on MS I.33
Craig Peters wrote:
If I was looking to compile a bibliography of all the scholarly works referencing MS I.33, where would I start? I have access to a university library and the research facilities, but I'm frankly at a loss for where I should be checking.

You'd do best by starting with the bibliography in Jeffrey Forgeng's superb translation of I.33. It contains references to all the most important work done to date.
Hugh Knight wrote:
You'd do best by starting with the bibliography in Jeffrey Forgeng's superb translation of I.33. It contains references to all the most important work done to date.

To which this one at least should be added:
http://www.irht.cnrs.fr/publications/shm39.htm
It's a French book that was published this year and therefore is not in Jeffrey Forgeng's bibliography.
Craig

In addition to Forgeng's book I also make use of the online ranslation by Freywild (http://freywild.ch/i33/i33en.html).

There is also Medieval Sword and Shield by Paul Wagner and Stephen Hand. However, I find this interpretation so bad that I cannot recomend it as a resource.

David Rawlings of Boar's Tooth an a DVD with his interpretation.

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW
Thanks. Just as a heads up, I'm not so much looking for various interpretations of I.33 as I am scholarly articles or discussions on it. My contention is that there probably isn't much of anything at all, but I need to double-check to be certain.
The book by Franck Cinato and André Surprenant I've linked to earlier is certainly a scholarly work (it is being published by the French National Center for Scientific Research) with very little interpretation but a translation and many comments about the structure of the manual. It has information that cannot be found in J. Forgeng's book, in particular it details how the various pages are bound together, which can inform our understanding of the order in which the manual should be read.

It is not a light read, though. As a French native I find it difficult to read :) Scholarly works can be like that... But if you can read French and are researching I33 it's a good idea not to neglect this work in my opinion.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: