A toast in Memoriam, Errol Flynn
Born a hundred years ago this year in Tazmania to a lecturer in Biology this person probably influenced many of us here on the myArmoury boards. I know he had a distinct influence on what I watched and read as a kid and today I lift a glass on the 50th anniversary of his passing.

To Errol Flynn who passed on this day 50 years ago.

Salute.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ][ Linked Image ]
While a rogue and a bit of a sycophant, he was undoubtedly one of the most charismatic entertainers of his era, or any other. I wouldn't have my passion for the subject that I do if it wasn't for Flynn and a few others like him, and my childhood would have been a far more boring place.

Glass raised.
I'll second the sentiment. Robin Hood was certainly an influence on my childhood, even if it was an old movie then. Flynn was one of a kind!

Slainte!
Craig,
I agree, maybe even educational for the children. Stealing is offense, but we must first know who the real thief.
Finally a word that is not necessary to translate. :p
Salute.:) (in Italian is equal)
Maurizio
flynn
You wonder how great he could have been in this time of technical achievements they couldn't even dream about back then...so yes, I'll have a scotch in his memory and my misspent youth watching his movies...JC
Excellent Craig!

I'll raise a glass...in fact, I justed watched a Flynn movie on TCM last night: "Escape Me Never". Not a swashbuckler, to be sure, but Flynn's bon vivant personality shines throughout.

Best,

Christian

PS. The axes showed today. In a word: Wow.
Hale
Thank you for joining me gentlemen. His performances in the swashbucklers where something that where great to watch as a kid and I still enjoy.

Best
Craig

PS Glad you like the axes Christian :)
Being a Tasmanian, I can assure you we hear about him and his exploits every other day :eek:
It doth wear thin after a while.
But on that note, recently watched his bit as Robin Hood, and I for one think it's right up there with Adam West's Batman, so campy it hurts, but it hurts so good :lol:
Happy Errol Flynn Day! :p
My childhood idol & never forgotten.

Pirate movies today owe so much ....

Salute !
I saw Captain Blood when I was about five, when I was seven I wanted to be zorro on a masquerade so I could have a rapier and now I teach fencing... Errol Flynn surely made a name in the buissness.

Cheers Mr. Flynn!
Cheers, to an outstanding entertainer!

Here he is in "The Charge of the Light Brigade":
His robin hood is a classic. Sometimes I wonder what he would have done if he had lived longer, what other great classics he'd have made. He certainly was a great actor.

RPM
I have Sea Hawks, Captain Blood and Robin Hood on DVD. What an inspiration those movies have been in my life. Cheers, Errol! :cool:
I was going to post about Errol earlier this week and got totally bogged down with business!

Thanks Craig for remembering him!

Yes I think that Flynn impacted all of us in one way or another. He sure did me, it made me start fencing when I was eight and now at 34 I am still fencing. I think I was Capt Geoffrey Thorpe from the Sea Hawk for Halloween four years in a row when I was little, and I think I probably had Robin Hood memorized. He my not have been "the best" fencer in Hollywood, but he LOOKED the best with a sword.

I know who I am watching this weekend. :D
A hats off and tip of the glass to the finest swashbuckler of them all!

Best,

Greg

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: