Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A&A October News and Deals Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: A&A October News and Deals         Reply with quote

October News from Arms & Armor

We hope this finds you well and enjoying fall. It snowed here this morning so we may well have had the shortest fall on record in Minnesota. It has been a very busy late summer and early fall season for us and we have lots to catch up on.

Our first bit of news is a new item from our workshop. The #232 Italian Pole Hammer will be a great addition to anyones collection who enjoys pole arms or likes to practice this knightly weapon. The original is in the Metropolitan Museum of Art and we based our piece on this great example of the weapon makers art. Our piece is done with an eye on budget so while not as completely fancy as the original it has the flavor and style.

This was initially done as a custom order for a good customer and we liked it so much we decided to add it to our line of items after some tweaking for production and price.

We also have some other items that will appear on the site in the next few days as well as adding some items to the muster page so check back for updates. We hope you see something you like and look forward to hearing what you think of our new pieces.

Best
Craig

A&A Inc.

PS Just got some stuff on the Muster Page for anyone looking for a deal and instant gratification Happy Also don't forget to check our what's In Stock Page as well Happy

Last edited by Craig Johnson on Mon 12 Oct, 2009 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Fults

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love these announcements...and...I got to see one of these at Bristol.

Very nifty!! Big Grin

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Josh Maxwell

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If only I wasn't a college student, I'd pick up that sparth axe in a heartbeat.
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Keeping you updated         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
I love these announcements...and...I got to see one of these at Bristol.

Very nifty!! Big Grin

Hi Joe

Sorry I missed you at the fair. We were really busy at the shop and it was hard to get away this year. I am happy you like th updates Happy It is always fun to do and I look forward to letting people see what we are up to. It just gets kind of nuts in the fall and hard to keep them on schedule. Though by design the schedule is when I can get it done Happy

These hammers are really nice. It was a fun piece to bring to life and when we did we knew it was going to be something we keep up on. If any one is interested in the original the easiest pic available is found right here on myArmoury check out the Poleaxe article!

Be well
Craig
Joel Minturn

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll second that the Italian poleaxe is one sweet beast. I picked one up at the MN renfest and all I love it. The only problem I have with it is that every time I pick it up I really want to start hitting things with it. Big Grin So far the only thing that I have taken out is metal box fan casing. The only real surprise was how easily it so thoroughly destroyed the fan casing.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll also vouch for that bec de corbin. Its not only pretty, it feels wonderful in the hands.
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Nathan Johnson

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I want one of these SO BAD!!
But I cant afford the shipping for an item that long to Australia right now Mad Mad
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Tue 13 Oct, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, this is a wonderful piece...and one is heading my way as we speak, along with its Burgundian cousin. Happy

Cheers,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Alex Spreier

PostPosted: Tue 13 Oct, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a gorgeous piece! I already have the Burgundian, and have been very happy with it, but you can never have too many polearms.

Now if you will all excuse me, I have to go wipe the drool off my keyboard. Happy

Compagno, Northwest Fencing Academy

http://bunkaijuju.blogspot.com/
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 13 Oct, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: And more         Reply with quote

Here is another new item we are offering. It is a two handed trainer based on the Montante or Iberian two hander. This is based on an original sharp that is in a private collection and we have developed this piece working with Eric Myers and Steve Hick. I know that Puck Curtis along with some other great people have helped out a great deal as well. They have been translating and interpreting the work of Diogo Gomes de Figueyredo a Portuguese General and fight master from the first half of the 17th C. and hero of several battles.

This sword has turned out quite well and is an exceptionally good feeling sword in the hand. The system of combat that is outlined in the above work really comes to life when using a sword of the right weight and balance and is incredibly effective.

Check out more here A&A News

Best
Craig
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 13 Oct, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Shipping         Reply with quote

Nathan Johnson wrote:
But I cant afford the shipping for an item that long to Australia right now Mad Mad

Hi Nathan

I feel your pain, we have several customers who are held back from ordering due to shipping costs. The best we can do to Australia on something like this is about 250.00 or 260.00 US. There are just not any inexpensive shipping options any more. The best thing for foreign customers that can find like minded friends is to combine shipping as it usually means that the per piece price is less as it does not double the price to ship more than one.

Best
Craig
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 13 Oct, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: And more         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
Here is another new item we are offering. It is a two handed trainer based on the Montante or Iberian two hander.

For anyone who hasn't seen these, this Montante trainer is fantastic. They've been around for a little while, and several people in the WMA world have been using them, and they are wonderful trainers for the larger two handed swords of the Renaissance.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 13 Oct, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
Nathan Johnson wrote:

I feel your pain, we have several customers who are held back from ordering due to shipping costs. The best we can do to Australia on something like this is about 250.00 or 260.00 US.

The keen potential Australian buyer should ask whether it is possible to buy the head only.

Of course, one is then faced with the problem of finding decent wood here. Easy to find pine, meranti, Tasmanian oak, but finding a polearm length of god polearm wood takes some searching and/or delivery.
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 13 Oct, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping         Reply with quote

Timo Nieminen wrote:

The keen potential Australian buyer should ask whether it is possible to buy the head only.

Of course, one is then faced with the problem of finding decent wood here. Easy to find pine, meranti, Tasmanian oak, but finding a polearm length of god polearm wood takes some searching and/or delivery.

Hello Timo

Yes this certainly is possible. I have done this for several customers in Europe, Australia and Asia. The biggest draw back for Australia has been the wood issue. I am not sure if it in general needs to imported itself so it is expensive or just not something that is available. The cost to find a professional cabinet maker and have the run a piece for you as a haft is often far less that the shipping. I can send the head with directions and all fittings needed. This allows the use of the post, which is usually the least expensive option and will fall under the size restrictions. The size limits are set by each country so it varies for everyone.

Best
Craig
Eric Myers

PostPosted: Tue 13 Oct, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: And more         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
Here is another new item we are offering. It is a two handed trainer based on the Montante or Iberian two hander. This is based on an original sharp that is in a private collection and we have developed this piece working with Eric Myers and Steve Hick. I know that Puck Curtis along with some other great people have helped out a great deal as well. They have been translating and interpreting the work of Diogo Gomes de Figueyredo a Portuguese General and fight master from the first half of the 17th C. and hero of several battles.

This sword has turned out quite well and is an exceptionally good feeling sword in the hand. The system of combat that is outlined in the above work really comes to life when using a sword of the right weight and balance and is incredibly effective.

Check out more here A&A News

Best
Craig

WooHoo! Also, the translation and article are undergoing a final proof reading as I write this, so people will be able to work from the original text in very short order Happy

Eric Myers
Sacramento Sword School
ViaHup.com - Wiki di Scherma Italiana
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 14 Oct, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
Timo Nieminen wrote:

Yes this certainly is possible. I have done this for several customers in Europe, Australia and Asia. The biggest draw back for Australia has been the wood issue. I am not sure if it in general needs to imported itself so it is expensive or just not something that is available. The cost to find a professional cabinet maker and have the run a piece for you as a haft is often far less that the shipping. I can send the head with directions and all fittings needed. This allows the use of the post, which is usually the least expensive option and will fall under the size restrictions. The size limits are set by each country so it varies for everyone.

I expect the traditional polearm wood species need to be imported. We have native woods that will do the job perfectly well - the trick is to find out which ones. Before I was living in the city, I've cut my own for various uses, and some would make excellent polearms. Of course, cutting your own means you can follow the grain. Fewer options as a city dweller.

With a market dominated by easily-splitting quick-growing plantation timber, the best modern solution might be engineered timber. I've been looking (but not very actively yet) for a good source of laminated bamboo poles - these should work well.

Meanwhile, I think it's time to ask about woods in Off-topic!
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 20 Oct, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: And even more!         Reply with quote

A&A would like to add another training piece to our line. This is the #234 Spadone Trainer. This two handed trainer was developed with the help and input of two great martial artists, Steve Reich and Tom Leoni of the Order of the Seven Hearts. This sword was crafted to be very maneuverable but strong. The forces one can generate with such a large sword, overall length 65 inches, used as Marozzo describes are truly devastating and one needs a very solid weapon for such training and play.

We hope those interested in the use of the two handed sword find this a useful addition to their kit.

Best
A&A Inc.

PS these are the Italian Style trainers that some of you may have seen at WMAW 2009!
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 27 Oct, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Updated some New Custom Examples         Reply with quote

Updated the custom section of the site today with three new examples

Also fixed some misses in the item list.

Plus don't miss our 10% off in stock sale now through the Nov 2nd.

Best
Craig
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 27 Oct, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hmmm, not a saber in the bunch ... tsk tsk.

B-)
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Tue 27 Oct, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those are some very nice additions to the custom section.

I particularily like the Rondel. Most of the 16th century Rondels that I've seen have an over abundance of detail on the hilt. This one is relatively austere but it still seems very elegant. It's amazing what you can do with just a few little details. One day I plan on adding a 16th Century Rondel to my own collection. I always love to see them.

I also have to ask: How wide is the blade on the Type X?

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A&A October News and Deals
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: