Halloween
Hello all,

For Halloween this year I'd like to do a Medieval themed costume. Specifically something that would've been considered a costume in the Medieval period, such as a Fool or Plague Doctor. I already have several typical Medieval outfits.

To the degree that time and place matters I prefer late 14th century and Northwestern or Central Europe.

I'm hoping for suggestions on other costume ideas and where I can get information on them.

Thanks,
Steven
From WikiPedia

The Bal des Ardents

On 29 January 1392, at the behest of the king (Charles VI of France,) a grand party was organized to celebrate the wedding of one of the queen's ladies-in-waiting at the Hotel de Saint Pol. At the suggestion of a Norman Squire, Huguet de Guisay, the King, Huguet and four other lords [5], dressed up as wild men and danced about chained to one another. They were "in costumes of linen cloth sewn onto their bodies and soaked in resinous wax or pitch to hold a covering of frazzled hemp, so that they appeared shaggy & hairy from head to foot".[6] At the suggestion of one of the "Wild men" Yvain de Foix, the king commanded - in view of the obvious danger of fire - that the torch-bearers were to stand at the side of the room. Nonetheless, the King's brother, Louis of Valois, Duke of Orléans, who had arrived late, approached with a lighted torch in order to discover the identity of the masqueraders, and he accidentally set one of them on fire. Alternatively, it was a plot to kill the mentally deficient king. In any case, there was panic as the fire spread. The Duchess of Berry, to save a dancer who had come near her to intrigue and tease her, threw the train of her gown over him, and it was soon revealed to her that the life she had saved was the king's.[7] Several Knights who tried to put out the flames were severely burned on their hands. Four of the wild men perished: Sir Charles de Poiters son of the Count of Valentinois, Huguet de Guisay, Yvain de Foix and the Count of Joigny. Another, Jean son of the Lord de Nantouillet, saved himself by jumping into a dishwater tub [8]. This incident became known as the Bal des Ardents (the "Ball of the Burning Men").

Attachment: 82.91 KB
Bal_des_ardents.jpg

Sean Flynt wrote:
From WikiPedia

The Bal des Ardents

On 29 January 1392, at the behest of the king (Charles VI of France,) a grand party was organized to celebrate the wedding of one of the queen's ladies-in-waiting at the Hotel de Saint Pol. At the suggestion of a Norman Squire, Huguet de Guisay, the King, Huguet and four other lords [5], dressed up as wild men and danced about chained to one another. They were "in costumes of linen cloth sewn onto their bodies and soaked in resinous wax or pitch to hold a covering of frazzled hemp, so that they appeared shaggy & hairy from head to foot".[6] At the suggestion of one of the "Wild men" Yvain de Foix, the king commanded - in view of the obvious danger of fire - that the torch-bearers were to stand at the side of the room. Nonetheless, the King's brother, Louis of Valois, Duke of Orléans, who had arrived late, approached with a lighted torch in order to discover the identity of the masqueraders, and he accidentally set one of them on fire. Alternatively, it was a plot to kill the mentally deficient king. In any case, there was panic as the fire spread. The Duchess of Berry, to save a dancer who had come near her to intrigue and tease her, threw the train of her gown over him, and it was soon revealed to her that the life she had saved was the king's.[7] Several Knights who tried to put out the flames were severely burned on their hands. Four of the wild men perished: Sir Charles de Poiters son of the Count of Valentinois, Huguet de Guisay, Yvain de Foix and the Count of Joigny. Another, Jean son of the Lord de Nantouillet, saved himself by jumping into a
dishwater tub [8]. This incident became known as the Bal des Ardents (the "Ball of the Burning Men").

Hey! That's "Hop Frog" from E.A. Poe. I just remembered Poe was inspired by this chronicle by Froissart for his short story...read it a long, long time ago...Thanks, Mr. Flynt. So, "bals masqués" were dangerous back in the days...
Thanks Sean. I posted this on ArmourArchvie as well and got the same suggestions :lol:

I'll admit though that a costume of resin and frazzled hemp would probably be more involved than I can finish in a month. And very messy. It is an interesting solution to the problem that nowadays would be solved with synthetic hair.

Cheers,
Steven
Hello again,

So I've decided to go ahead and do a Fool's costume - because I'll enjoy playing a fool :p

But I don't know any resources for getting this costume right. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steven
Clown's and clergy's costume's haven't changed much, but there's a few paintings of jesters out there like this one. I don't have a source for it though.

Attachment: 16.5 KB
fouquet14.jpg

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: