Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > rune question Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Thu 08 Oct, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: rune question         Reply with quote

wow in these times runes are pretty popular Laughing Out Loud .
i would like to know ,when there is many letters pronouciation is it the complete pronounciation or you choose the letter you use?
Myles Mulkey

PostPosted: Thu 08 Oct, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: rune question         Reply with quote

Etienne Hamel wrote:
wow in these times runes are pretty popular Laughing Out Loud .
i would like to know ,when there is many letters pronouciation is it the complete pronounciation or you choose the letter you use?

Care to elaborate a bit on that? Big Grin I'm not quite sure what you're asking.
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Thu 08 Oct, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

for exemple a rune that has two letter like ''oe'' do we choose the letters of is it the pronouncciarion.
Myles Mulkey

PostPosted: Thu 08 Oct, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Etienne Hamel wrote:
for exemple a rune that has two letter like ''oe'' do we choose the letters of is it the pronouncciarion.

I think what you're asking is in a word like "toe" for example, do you write the actual characters "t" "o" "e" or do you spell it out phonetically like "t" "o" "w"?

The answer depends on what you're writing the runes for. The historical examples are written out phonetically. For example, in this thread http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=17662 the words "fierce friend" are spelled as the words themselves sound, not character for character. So, "fierce friend" becomes "firs frend". Does this answer your question?
Kjell Magnusson

PostPosted: Sun 11 Oct, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Etienne Hamel wrote:

If you see both letters next to each other like that, then both together are probably the sound associated with the rune, it's just that as modern English doesn't have a single letter for that sound, two different letters are needed to spell it out. If you could choose which letter the rune represented, then I'd expect whoever wrote the guide to separate them somehow.

For a modern example, the Swedish letter ä is sometimes replaced with ae in international settings (say as a pronunciation guide for non-Swedish speakers, if a computer system doesn't support the ä sign, or for other such reasons), as a "close enough" estimate.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > rune question
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic