Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Looking for Armourer Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Reece Nelson

PostPosted: Mon 21 Sep, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Looking for Armourer         Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I am in need of an armourer that can make me a a german gothic harness out of aircraft aluminum.

I came across aircraft aluminum armour at my local ren fair and was fascinated how strong and light it was! Its strong enough for the type of sparring for my reenactment and light enough so that it wouldn't effect me while wearing my prosthesis. But the armourers work isn't really up to par of what I want for my harness Sad His stuff is ok...but Id rather spend the extra money to get what I really want Happy

So I was wondering if there any armourers out there that specialize with working with aircraft aluminum.
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 21 Sep, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you're using wooden wasters, it should be all right if it's the right alloy and heat treat. Steel would wreck the flutes and scratch the living daylights out of it, however.
jamesarlen.com
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Tue 22 Sep, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aluminum armor is awesome. Strong enough to run car over and does not rust. It is also easy to work with so despite any bullshit you might be told to the contrary is should not be expensive for that reason.

Check out Bokolos armory:

http://bokalosarmoury.com/

You have to drill and strap the armor yourself. I can advise you how to do that and where to get cheap leather, buckles and rivets. You can ask bokolo how much he will charge to strap the armor for you.

I advise you get his full leg set Item #835. Hang that from a weight lifting belt or make a C belt out of leather.

You can get a complete arm, item # 910. I prefer just and elbow cop #500. I cut my own vambrace out of leather and I find it is sufficient. The two pieces tie onto the gambeson separately and are not connected to each other.

For shoulders get item #365. It will cover your upper arm too.

I don't use much body armor because I use a shield but item #700 should be sufficient.

Item #320 will cover the throat.

I don't like his gauntlets because they have a fixed thumb. I use Ice Falcon's Kyndex guantlets.

Edit: If you want a custom aluminum armor talk to David at Rough from the hammer.

http://www.roughfromthehammer.com/galleries.html

I have been to his shop a few times and this gentleman is really an expert armorer. A lot of armorers buy stuff from him and resell it. He does a lot of exact period work. He has done a lot of historical research. He has a blast furnace large enough to temper a steel breastplate. He also works with aluminum and stainless. He is very flexible in that sense and will work within your budget and goals. He always has a back log of orders but we are going into his slower months so you may get lucky.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Reece Nelson

PostPosted: Thu 08 Oct, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

sweet! That looks very promising!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Looking for Armourer
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic