Question about saber scabbards
I noticed some scabbards for sabres have a strange "spatula" like attachment at the tip, where a chape should be.

[ Linked Image ]

Is it for anything? I figured it had something to do with how the scabbard is formed, but right now I figure it's just decoration.

M.
Just a guess, but I think it's to reinforce the scabbard's tip.

Keep in mind that the scabbard is just a thin sheet metal tube, and the tip of the scabbard does occassionally bump into things.
I believe that bit is named the "drag" , perhaps that implies something :D

Joking aside, I think it's designed to reinforce the chape. Despite the decorative aspect (besides the spatula, i've seen many ball shaped draga), it seems to be a mostly functional addition to the scabbard
As far as I know it serves a protective and decorative function. It is called a chape, shoe, or drag (as it does drag on the ground quite fashionably :) ). Some flashy scabbards even have little wheels on the drag!
Jonathan Hopkins wrote:
As far as I know it serves a protective and decorative function. It is called a chape, shoe, or drag (as it does drag on the ground quite fashionably :) ). Some flashy scabbards even have little wheels on the drag!

That would be worth a picture!
Timo Nieminen wrote:
Jonathan Hopkins wrote:

:D

http://www.michaeldlong.com/kolistB/1/0/111685.htm

A nice--but sadly shortened--HEIC officer's sword with wheeled drag. I would guess this is c. 1845-55.
Jonathan Hopkins wrote:
Timo Nieminen wrote:
Jonathan Hopkins wrote:

:D

http://www.michaeldlong.com/kolistB/1/0/111685.htm

A nice--but sadly shortened--HEIC officer's sword with wheeled drag. I would guess this is c. 1845-55.

Very cute!

But can this really be called a drag? Surely roll or similar would be more accurate.

Still, it could be useful - for drag racing if nothing else.
Aren't those caps supposed to jangle against the cavalryman's spur when the sword is slung in the lower position (the one used for riding as opposed to dismounted locomotion)?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: