Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Contest: Early Lowland Basket-hilt Giveaway!Contest
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 18 Apr, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Contest: Early Lowland Basket-hilt Giveaway!         Reply with quote

Win an Early Lowland Basket-hilt Sword!

We're giving away an early English/Scottish "Lowland" Basket-hilt sword donated by E.B. Erickson and Angus "Gus" Trim. This sword represents a collaborative effort by these two craftsmen. ElJay's basket, pommel, and grip have been mated with the ATrim blade, assembled and tuned by Gus, himself.

By my account, this sword is a very impressive piece and one that I would personally love to add to my collection. I've told both craftsmen that if it had not been donated to our contest efforts here, I would have purchased it myself.

The hilt's inspiration comes from a sword with a broken hilt in the Bolling Hall Museum in Bradford, England. The original's construction is an interesting mixture of crudity (uneven hilt bars, ugly welds) and elegant detail (pommel inlaid with silver wire). The hilt on this contest sword was the prototype for the baskets sold by All Saints Blades, and is inconspicuously etched "Dawgbasket Prototype" on the inside of the rearguards.

As a prototype, there are detail and construction differences from the production baskets; the most obvious one being the spiraled rivet on the saltire plates. The original has this feature, as do several other English baskets from the early 1500s. By most accounts, they were for decorative purposes only, although the rivet could presumably make a punch to the head with the hilt more effective!

The pommel is a hollow spherical type, brazed together and fluted vertically with a floral end cap. The grip is black leather with wrapped cord underneath. There are decorative finals at the ends of the recurved quillons and the entire hilt is blackened. The blade, a modified AT1215, is fullered and double-edged with a good amount of profile taper. It is made of 5160 spring steel and is heat-treated for optimum performance.

The sword is a one-of-a-kind piece and has an approximate value of $700 US!

Overall length: 37"; Blade length: 31"; Blade width (at base): 1.75"; Point of Balance: 4.25"; Center of Percussion: ~21.5"; Weight: 2.8 pounds

Click image above to see the full-sized photograph of the actual prize

HOW TO ENTER:
  1. Ensure you're a registered member of myArmoury.com

2. Go to the usergroups section of our site, view information for the Contest: Lowland basket-hilt sword group

3. Click "Join Group"
That's it! You're done!

You must be joined prior to Monday, May 31st, 2004. All participants will be entered into a drawing and the winning name will be randomly selected soon after the contest close. Shipping charges will then be calculated, and upon receipt of said shipping charges from the winner, the sword will be shipped!

Good luck to everyone!!

Click any image above to see the full-sized photograph of the actual prize

This contest is sponsored by E.B. Erickson and Angus "Gus" Trim. We at myArmoury.com want to thank the gracious generosity of these two craftsmen for their prize contribution.

Important rules and limitations:

1. You must be a registered member of myArmoury.com to enter
  2. You must be at least 18 years old or have parental consent to claim the prize
  3. If you are under 18 years old, you must notify us via email (arms@myArmoury.com) upon entering
  4. myArmoury.com moderators and affiliates of E.B. Erickson or Gus Trim are not eligible to win
  5. The winner must agree to pay actual shipping charges for the sword as shipped from California
  6. The winner has one week to claim his prize until another winner is selected
  7. Only one entry per household is allowed

Please read our detailed Rules and Limitations document for complete information and our disclaimer.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
J.G. Grubbs

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sun 18 Apr, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yet another fantastic contest, Nathan! Thanks!
Good luck everyone!

James

"The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour."
Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Sun 18 Apr, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Contest: Early Lowland Basket-hilt Giveaway!         Reply with quote

Nathan,

Wow! I want it. Cool A big thanks to you, and ElJay- Angus Trim- All Saints Blades for providing us with another great contest!
David McElrea

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 18 Apr, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's astounding that you keep coming up with competitions of this quality. Thanks too to ElJay and Gus for the donation to myArmoury.com.

David
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Sun 18 Apr, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I don't stand a snowballs chance in heck, but it is another great giveaway, and I add my kudos to all the nice folks involved in making it happen. Happy (Now, who do I have to bribe to fix this thing? Big Grin )
Tom Carr

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I want it! I need it! I gotta have it! WOW!! MAN I hope I win this one! I've been drooling over the AT Baskethilts since I first saw them on All Saints site. Thats what a Reiver Needs!
Federico Tyrawskyj

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Nice!         Reply with quote

Damn, that's a gorgeous blade! Thanks for setting up such a contest!
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan, ElJay & Gus, You guys are just too much! What a glorious blade & contest! Thanks ever so

much & good luck to everyone!

William
aka Bill
Nathan Cole

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2004 5:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wowie, more great contests from myArmoury.com.
Thanks to the sponsors,
Nathan Cole
Jeffery Hawkins

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: *drool*         Reply with quote

Ooooooohhh...... Ahhhhhh....... Sssswwweeeeeeeeeeeet........

Specs? How's she handle?

I would say "beautiful", but I think my earlier sound comments have already done so....

Ah, what the hell...

BEAUTIFUL!!!

"It is better to have and not need than to need and not have."
R. Laine

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I've ever wanted to win a contest, it would be this one... That piece is just beautiful! Just when I was wondering where I could find a good sword for doing Wylde, too. Like I'm even going to win, but still... Laughing Out Loud

Thanks to the sponsors and to you, Nathan!
Brett Josef Schmidthuber

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Amazing.... Yet another fantastic contest... Needless to say I think just about everyone of Us wants Our chance to cut water filled soda cans down with this beast :-D It looks like a great sword (No confusion intended). As usual, many, many thanks to everyone who's involved, and best of luck to all.
When in doubt, bleed them out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Chuck Perino

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had the fortune to see some of Gus's baskethilts at the Oregon Knife Collectors show this weekend. Very nice indeed!, would have loved to do some cutting! Razz
Ryan A. C.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As if all the features on this site weren't enough, you guys keep giving stuff away!
myArmoury.com is the best place on the net. Thanks guys.

Good Luck Everyone!
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd really like to win that sword - so would a lot of people. I checked and this website has more than 60 new members so far this morning, almost all of them signed up for this contest.
Gabriel Mailhot

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Great fencing tool         Reply with quote

Big Grin

For those who like the swordplay of basket-hilted sword, take a look at http://scrimicie.smithware.ca , in the "basket-hilt" section from the top menu. Some kool videos..

Good luck everyone for this contest !
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: *drool*         Reply with quote

Jeffery Hawkins wrote:

Specs? How's she handle?

The specs are in the first post.. measurements are there..

How's she handle? Fantastic.

I've already said it, but I'll say it again: I want to keep this sword. Right now it's hanging out with my Vince Evans Lowland Hilt. I think I'll be taking some photos of these two together before I have to give this baby away.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
James Nordstrom

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: *drool*         Reply with quote

Well, you could always give both away, that way there would not be any quandary about keeping or not keeping the pair. Laughing Out Loud

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Jeffery Hawkins wrote:

Specs? How's she handle?

The specs are in the first post.. measurements are there..

How's she handle? Fantastic.

I've already said it, but I'll say it again: I want to keep this sword. Right now it's hanging out with my Vince Evans Lowland Hilt. I think I'll be taking some photos of these two together before I have to give this baby away.
Anthony D.

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Amazing is all I can say......These Contests are the best.
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: *drool*         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I think I'll be taking some photos of these two together before I have to give this baby away.

Hi Nathan,

That would be great. I really liked your "Showing of the Schiavona" thread. It's always cool the see swords of the same type from different makers side by side.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...=schiavona

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Contest: Early Lowland Basket-hilt Giveaway!Contest
Page 1 of 4
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: