Albion Knecht mark II?
I only now just noticed that Albion has made some design changes to the Knecht, notably changing the grip to enclose the tang. I was curious how common it was to do this historically with this style of sword. I haven't seen it before (not that this means anything).
It is not the most common solution, but you can see it at times. I think it may be more common on later ones (early 16th C)., but that is a rather vague guess. There are many representations in art that show out of the ordinary construction methods.

You can see those messers that by this feaure almost start to cross over into the group of sabers. They still classify as messers, though. Or so I would say. Reading museum catalogues and auction house descriptions of these weapons it seems there is a consensus that even with an enclosed tang, the weapon can be called a messer.

The Knecht was surprisingly challenging to get into smooth production. This is an attempt to make it possible to produce without making changes to the design that would involve things that are not seen on originals.

The guard, pommel and nagel are also re worked. The whole sword is more crisp and defined.
For me this change was a bit of a disappointment. It significantly changes the character of the sword for me and makes it less appealing. I like the design change of the lug as I think it's more aesthetically pleasing. However, the exposed tang is one of the characteristic features of the messer design and I'm sorry to see that go. I don't fault Albion for the change and I certainly understand why it was done, this sword was certainly a challenge to produce time after time in a production environment, and I'm sure it still is even with these changes. It's still a beautiful sword but unfortunately it's lost some of its zing for me.
Patrick, check with Albion but I am pretty sure you can choose either the original Knecht or the Mark II based on your preference.

My first impression was that I preferred the original for exactly the same reasons that you state, but as I have looked more and more at the Mark II photos I know I would be happy with either.
I agree, I much prefer the original. The scale tang was much nicer. I can see why Albion chose to modify the design, but I still prefer the overall look of the original.
I would like to know why a scale grip makes it harder to produce.

M.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: