Sparth
Hi all,just wondering if the Gallowglass were useing the sparth in the early to mid 1300's if so were thay any particular shape.Any info would be appreciated.
Hi John and welcome to the forums. As far as I know the Galloglaich or Gallowglass were using large two handed axes in the 1300's. As to what they looked like, they probably looked much like the earlier Dane axes. I dont know of any examples of axes found in Ireland or Scotland at this point but I know there are ones from the fifthteenth and sixteenth centuries that I'm sure you've probably seen online. Sorry I can't be of more help :\
Sparth axes are mentioned in the descrition of the scotish forces at the batle of largs (1263), in the norwegian King Håkon Håkonsons saga.
It states (roughly) that the scottish infantry was "poorly armed, mostly with spears, sparths and bows)
This contrasted to the norwegian standard equipment of shield, spear and hand weapons (as the infantry was the main force of the norwegian army). They where very impressed by the scottish knights, however.

That they had a separate name would indicate that they where at least sligthly diferent from the scandinavian broad axes.
Thanks for the info awesome.Now to have a go at making one :D

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: