Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Rosetta Stone of Reconstructing European Fighting Arts Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next 
Luke Zechman

PostPosted: Sat 03 Oct, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perhaps my statements above where out of context, and for that I apologize. I agree that it would be wrong to make a statement saying that what you knew was ultimate, and that everyone else was wrong. I guess what i really wanted to get across was that nobody is doing things exactly the way they had been X number of years ago. These are interpretations of the masters. What people should be doing is working on the things that work for them, enjoy themselves, and forget what anyone else has to say.
Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Sat 03 Oct, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian Henry Tobler wrote:
Just so Bill. The funny thing is is that one can, in theory, justify both narrow and wide stances in the 15th c. works. Talhoffer, for instance, shows both: wide stances in the '59 and '67 codices, rather narrow ones in the 1443 and early 1450's ones.

I just suspect that this is another case of folks getting too worked up over the artwork, which in many cases shows evidence of stylistic preferences on the part of the artists (who you can all but gaurantee weren't martial artists themselves.)

Christian

Your statements are a reaction to what others have assumed about something they have not yet read. As I told Steven and David, maybe you should wait until John Clements article on Die Vaage comes out and read what it actually says before you disagree with it or pass it off.

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW
Dustin R. Reagan

PostPosted: Sat 03 Oct, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin Fredrick wrote:
In fact I haven't seen this stance (Die Vaage) demonstrated consistently in any of the videos made available to the public on the web with exception to those put out by the organization ARMA. Not to say that its not out there but if it is, it isn't being touted to the extent where I can find it.

off the top of my head, here's one non-ARMA video which consistently shows this sort of deep stance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKM_tXlYiag
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Sat 03 Oct, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Randall,

Please don't attempt to tell me what I'm reacting to; the post was addressed to my friend and colleague Mr. Grandy. "Only this, and nothing more". My post was, in fact, an attempt to glean some useful discourse from an otherwise acrimonious thread.

I'm not commenting on the ARMA article at all; in fact, I haven't read it. Instead, I'm commenting on what Bill wrote, which relates to a subject he, Cory, and I have talked much about - which stance is appropriate.

There's been a lot of discussion trying to divine 'how they stood' in these fighting systems. And that may not be possible to determine given that a) it may not be consistent and b) using the art to answer the question can be precarious.

John may have, for all I know, a different take on this, so I can't disagree or agree, given I don't know what he thinks yet.

Best,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts

Last edited by Christian Henry Tobler on Sat 03 Oct, 2009 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steven H

PostPosted: Sat 03 Oct, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Pleasant wrote:

Christian

Your statements are a reaction to what others have assumed about something they have not yet read. As I told Steven and David, maybe you should wait until John Clements article on Die Vaage comes out and read what it actually says before you disagree with it or pass it off.

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW

And this illustrates exactly why Darwin and Einstein didn't self-publish glowing praise of their own work before they presented their evidence. Darwin gathered his evidence for decades before presenting it. And then let the evidence stand on it's own.

Don't want commentary and analysis - don't post it on forums. That's what forums are for.

Why was this article posted? Why was it written? I could understand that kind of article announcing a new book (when the book is available) -but out of the blue without any accompanying evidence . . . I just don't understand the purpose.

Want reactions based on the evidence - present the evidence first. And let others praise you based on it's truth.

And no one has yet to address the clear errors contained in that article.

This isn't about the "cheese". It's about unambiguous errors that go unacknowledged. It's about making bold claims without any evidence at all. It's about an assertion that no one has done it before even though there are published books to the contrary.

-Steven

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study
Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Sat 03 Oct, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian

I am true sorry. Please understand given the nature of so many of the posts on this thread how easy it was for me to mis-understand your post. Again, I'm sorry.

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Sat 03 Oct, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Apology accepted Randall.

Best regards,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Sat 03 Oct, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven H wrote:
This isn't about the "cheese".

Steven

You're right, it's not about cheese, it's about the recreation of the lost historical European martial arts. Those efforts recently took a large step forward but of course there are many miles to go. Is forward movement in our efforts to recreate these lost art not a good thing? Please do wait for the details.

Quote:
It's about an assertion that no one has done it before even though there are published books to the contrary.

We purchase and read all of the published books related to the recreation of these lost arts. We also read all of the online articles, blogs, class handouts, etc., that we can get our hands on. Plus we watch all of the videos we can get our hands on. Yet in none of that material have we seen anything close to what John Clements newest interpretations.

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW
Ruel A. Macaraeg

PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall,

Have you had a chance to speak with John and/or ARMA-Austin re: my offer to present your work at the Texas Medieval Assn. conference this month? As we discussed before, it'd at least give you an opportunity to present this "Rosetta Stone" material in a truly academic and neutral venue.
Tom Leoni
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Stance, Historically         Reply with quote

The issue of stance in the German tradition has been addressed by people much more knowledgeable than I.

Here's the perspective of stance in the Italian tradition: it varied greatly among masters and styles.

Our earliest record, Fiore, shows stances that by the canons of what we see 100 years later are undoubtedly moderate-to-wide. See, for instance, right posta di donna (24r), porta di ferro mezzana (26r) posta breve serpentina and posta di vera croce (37v), coda lunga and finestra (38r)--these are just a few examples.

The biggest difference between Fiore's wide stances and Meyer's is the fact that with the former, the body tends to be kept more erect.

Fast-forward a hundred years to the Bolognese, and stances become narrower (with some exceptions going either way--some with the feet all but together, others "in gran passo," in a wide stance).

Fast-forward another hundred years to the age of the rapier, and things vary even more. Some Masters like Giganti and to a lesser extent Fabris advocate a moderate stance (I know, the pictures in Giganti show otherwise, but trust me--the text is very clear); others, most prominently Marcelli, advocate a wide stance quite specifically.

Although the issue of weight-distribution is seldom discussed, the notions of tempo and the Masters themselves (when they address the issue) are clear: place your weight on the foot that is not the next to move. This is the only way to keep the other sufficiently nimble to satisfactorily take tempi as small as a change of guards from the opponent. The one exception is Fiore, whose illustrations point to a more even distribution of the weight.

Here's the conclusion to this:

1 - Historically, there is no "one" way to view stances. Narrow, moderate and wide stances have their place, since Masters give us their valid reasons to use all three. At this point, your choice of stance depends on the choice of master you study. Using a single stance for all historical martial arts may be martial but it becomes a different beast from a historical perspective.

2 - Those who have been practicing historical martial arts correctly know quite well where to keep their weight. Without waxing poetic or cavillating on semantics, weight is either centered or it is distributed unevenly between the feet. In historical Italian martial arts, the benefits of one and the other are quite clear, and they work for the art and the context in which it was practiced.

Tom
Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ruel A. Macaraeg wrote:
Randall,

Have you had a chance to speak with John and/or ARMA-Austin re: my offer to present your work at the Texas Medieval Assn. conference this month? As we discussed before, it'd at least give you an opportunity to present this "Rosetta Stone" material in a truly academic and neutral venue.

Ruel

I did pass your request to John but I don't have any idea if whither or not he or another member can make it, especially with such short notice. I know a lot of members, like myself, are trying to recover from the "back to school" thing with our kids. August and September blows our buggets really bad.

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: rosetta marketing         Reply with quote

I have re-read the thread a couple of times, wondering if my musings on the Rosetta Stone's innapropriate use was maybe a bit harsh. I come to the conclusion that they weren't. Worse, I have to question why the thread was started in the first place as the basic text does not offer the substance of what is being discussed, but is rather an announcement of sorts, while the person who will deal with the substantive issues remains in the background. This ressembles a marketing device, as old as John the Baptist, where the disciple goes forth to announce the act to come to arouse the interest of the community. In such a setting, the use of exageration to present the product is not unusual. It is like the drumroll at the beginning of an act, or the publicity campaign for a ''new'' product.
It respects the publicity world's adage : '' Parlez-en en bien, parlez-en en mal, mais parlez-en'', which roughly translates to '' Critique it or complement it, but keep talking about it'', in other words, create a buzz so that the community will want to check out the end product when it finally arrives. Good marketing. It sure has worked its magic in this thread.

Bon coeur et bon bras
James Head

PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: rosetta marketing         Reply with quote

Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:
Good marketing. It sure has worked its magic in this thread.

I agree. It's amazing how much has been said in the four-pages-and-counting of this thread concerning an article that essentialy said nothing. I also agree that the idea of presenting a Rosetta Stone is an awful big claim. If the article truly contained a Rosetta Stone, I would expect at least a small percentage of WMA students to read it and arrive at an "Aha!" moment; regardless of political affiliation. Instead I feel that the overall response has been "Huh?" instead of the advertised "Aha!".

Last edited by James Head on Sun 04 Oct, 2009 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Steven H

PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Pleasant wrote:
Steven H wrote:
It's about an assertion that no one has done it before even though there are published books to the contrary.

We purchase and read all of the published books related to the recreation of these lost arts. We also read all of the online articles, blogs, class handouts, etc., that we can get our hands on. Plus we watch all of the videos we can get our hands on. Yet in none of that material have we seen anything close to what John Clements newest interpretations.

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW

Until evidence is presented that's just boasting. Don't expect anyone to believe it without evidence.

But, that article contains clear, unambiguous, gross errors. Which has just been ignored.
"defending by Baroque-notions of parry and riposte is antithetical to the sources" False
"that nearly every strike and defense should wind from a bind while hanging" False

Address these or the criticism is correct, valid and will not stop. You should expect no less when false statements are made.

However, at this point I assume that nobody at ARMA has any intention of addressing these errors. Which is a shame; ignoring these errors does nothing to improve their work.

-Steven

Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:

Not sure if you have notice but nobody is selling anything. It's free to the public. Whither or not you take it will have no affect upon ARMA offering it to the public.

Steven H wrote:
Randall Pleasant wrote:

Until evidence is presented that's just boasting. Don't expect anyone to believe it without evidence.

Are you really asking me to prove to you that I actually read WMA relation materials? WTF?!
Meaning no insult to you but that is just plain silly. Laughing Out Loud

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW
Patrick De Block

PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When is the (deleted four letter word) John Clements going to publish that article. It's all his fault. I can't sleep anymore, I already need to take sedatives.
Steven H

PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Pleasant wrote:
Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:

Not sure if you have notice but nobody is selling anything. It's free to the public. Whither or not you take it will have no affect upon ARMA offering it to the public.

Except for John Clements. He is selling something. A book. And membership dues to his organization.

Randall Pleasant wrote:

Steven H wrote:
Randall Pleasant wrote:
<snip> Yet in none of that material have we seen anything close to what John Clements newest interpretations.

Are you really asking me to prove to you that I actually read WMA relation materials? WTF?!
Meaning no insult to you but that is just plain silly. Laughing Out Loud

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW

I left in the sentence that was boasting. Without any evidence at all the distinctness of John's new interpretation is just boasting.

You have replied to me several times, and taking snips of my posts and yet you have not yet answered the important question: How do you address the errors in the article?

Without answering that then the credibility is shot. And it should be. Just ignoring glaring errors calls into question everything else. If John Clements' article has two significant errors in it why should I believe that any other part of it is right.

Continuing to ignore the errors changes nothing. The article is flawed. His assertions are incorrect. He is getting all respect due to a such an article.

-Steven

Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven H wrote:
Randall Pleasant wrote:
Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:

Except for John Clements. He is selling something. A book. And membership dues to his organization.

Given that ARMA currently has about a 50 percent rejection rate on new membership applicaitons I think you can let go of the dues thing. Razz

Quote:
Without answering that then the credibility is shot. And it should be. Just ignoring glaring errors calls into question everything else. If John Clements' article has two significant errors in it why should I believe that any other part of it is right.

Continuing to ignore the errors changes nothing. The article is flawed. His assertions are incorrect. He is getting all respect due to a such an article.

You haven seen John Clements materials yet you already know they're flawed....oh wow. These post are getting too silly to keep responding to them. So I'll probably be ignoring you...unless I'm bored. Wink

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Monty Python         Reply with quote

Mr Pleasant,
I am reminded of an old Monty Python routine about '' I didn't come here to be insulted, I came for an argument...'' '' No you didn't'' and so on...Now you refer to the posts to which you cannot respond as being silly, and we should all await until you are sufficiently ''bored'' to read what you have to say. We are a long way from the enlightenment promised in the first posting with the Rosetta Stone and all that. I will wait for your futur posts with great anticipation, as I await the Monty Python reunification.
I really laughed hard at the scene with the french guard on the wall shouting down to the knights below, with their coconut horses, that he '' poofed on you, you silly king'', and can't help but think that this is the image you wish to leave us with, we silly people who question your motivation and are insufficiently appreciative of your Master's musings.

Bon coeur et bon bras
James Head

PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Pleasant wrote:

Quote:

You haven seen John Clements materials yet you already know they're flawed....oh wow. These post are getting too silly to keep responding to them. So I'll probably be ignoring you...unless I'm bored. Wink

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW

He was talking about the supposed errors in the original 'Rosetta Stone' article that started this whole thread. Maybe we should all take a breather on this one before everyone gets a little too punch drunk and can't see straight.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Rosetta Stone of Reconstructing European Fighting Arts
Page 4 of 9 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: