Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword recommendations for lesser strength person Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Keith L. Rogers

PostPosted: Fri 25 Sep, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was sort of expecting this topic to be a non-starter. Wow, thanks to all who have replied, there's much food for thought. Brian, I'll give you a call soon and set up a time to visit. Make sure the Conan scabbard is ready - she really wants to see it Laughing Out Loud . Thanks again to all and sundry.
-K
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 26 Sep, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryce Felperin wrote:
I'd also like to jump in and recommend perhaps one of the new Tinker/Hanwei swords. I don't know about their single handed swords, but the Tinker/Hanwei longsword is light and very fast for its size. Also at the price point of its cost is very good for a first sword to give to someone until they figure out what type of expensive swords they'd like to get. If I had go with a medieval sword gift that is the route I'd do.

The same seems to be true of the single hand models. For example, the Norman sword has the right dimensions for a smaller person and feels much lighter than it weighs on paper. I imagine the 'early medieval sword' would be similar.
P. Cha

PostPosted: Sat 26 Sep, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I find that many female fighters prefer shorter swords that are tip heavy in the SCA. The lack of arm strength can be made up with hip strength. Also the same is true for cutting...however once the armor or just cutting aspect is removed, it´s a whole other ball game. For cutting pumpkins, I would say either the falchion, reeve or bayeux would be good. For the I.33 any of the type XIV is good. Also heard great thing about the atrim riding sword for people with low arm strength.

Best thing is to take up the offer and have her try out a bunch of swords and see what she like though Happy.
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 27 Sep, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bristol.

http://kultofathena.com/product~item~CF403.htm

That is my suggestion.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Christopher H

PostPosted: Sun 27 Sep, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

After recently giving cutting lessons to some ladies about that size I wouldn't say anything approaching 3lbs is 'light', especially for single handed swords.
My Atrim bastardsword that is about a kilo (~2.2lbs) was quite tiring for them to use.
However, they handled a katana ok (which is nearly exactly the same mass) because, I think, of the longer handle and technique used - the POB is further out by a few inches.
I have an Albion Crecy and after training with lighter swords it seemed heavy even for me... and I am a bloke of average strength.
Stephen Curtin

Reading list: 18 books

PostPosted: Sun 27 Sep, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Keith and welcome to the forums. Unfortunately I dont have any advice on a choice of sword for your daughter, due to my own lack of experience but I would just like to say that its nice to see someone who shares their interests or hobbies with their kids, especially when it comes to swords Big Grin
Éirinn go Brách
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Sun 27 Sep, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the German Rapier from A&A is the way to go in this case .... http://www.arms-n-armor.com/rapier163.html
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 27 Sep, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For a sword that your daughter will love to wield, get one of the ATrim Maker's Mark or Legacy swords at Christian Fletcher's website. - http://www.christianfletcher.com/Christian_Fletcher/Swords.html - There are some singlehanders in stock. You will find that they are light and sweet handlers. They are also considerably less expensive thatn Albion swords. CF also makes a really good $95.00 scabbard
P. Cha

PostPosted: Sun 27 Sep, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher H wrote:
After recently giving cutting lessons to some ladies about that size I wouldn't say anything approaching 3lbs is 'light', especially for single handed swords.
My Atrim bastardsword that is about a kilo (~2.2lbs) was quite tiring for them to use.
However, they handled a katana ok (which is nearly exactly the same mass) because, I think, of the longer handle and technique used - the POB is further out by a few inches.
I have an Albion Crecy and after training with lighter swords it seemed heavy even for me... and I am a bloke of average strength.

This is what I mean...for shear cutting, short blade and tip heavy is fine...however for a sword to use when doing WMA where your not wearing armor, such swords actually become a hindrance and something like the atrim riding sword becomes more useful...however if you were to have somebody of small stature try to cut a pumpkin with the riding sword, I suspect they will get tried pretty quick vs say using an albion reeve.
Eric Spitler

PostPosted: Sun 27 Sep, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own a Yeoman and it's pretty nimble, but I still think the Poitiers is by far the easiest Albion to control, from the ones I've handled.
"I never heard a corpse ask how it got so cold."
- Richard, The Lion in Winter
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 29 Sep, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kieth, after this avalanche of advice, please tell us which sword you decided to get Big Grin
Darryl Aoki

PostPosted: Tue 29 Sep, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In Albion's line-up, I'm particularly enamored of the Crecy and the Doge; of course, on the subject of the latter, I'm prejudiced (I fight rapier in the SCA.) Both are nicely agile and have good tip control in the thrust. I was vaguely surpised how controllable and comfortable the Crecy is when thrusting one-handed, though for cutting I'd want both hands.

One thing about dealing with Albion is that their customer service is, in my opinion, pretty darn good; it's actually one of the reasons I've gotten a number of sword from 'em. If you're set on getting an Albion, you could maybe talk with the folks there to see what they'd recommend.

At any rate, do let us know what you and your daughter decide upon. Good hunting!
Keith L. Rogers

PostPosted: Thu 01 Oct, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Kieth, after this avalanche of advice, please tell us which sword you decided to get Big Grin

Avalanche is right. There are so many good suggestions I'm/we're just sitting on it for now while we investigate more. We'll certainly be visiting Brian K soon, but the slacker doesn't have one of everything! Razz I'll dredge this thread up when we make a decision. I'm afraid it'll end up being more than one... Happy
Keith L. Rogers

PostPosted: Mon 19 Oct, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A report mostly for personal review Happy ... We got the chance to visit BrianK yesterday. He had around 20 swords of various types available to handle. About 2/3 were Albions, also present were some Gus Trim, Windlass, Hanwei, probably some I've forgotten.

Regarding the topic of this thread, my daughter has spent more time and noodling with pointy and blunt object and reading fechtbücher and interpretations thereof. One result is she has found she prefers 2h swords to 1h, not necessarily because of the sword - there are offerings she can work with - but because they were part of a system using shields she can't deal with (with the probable exception of bucklers à la I.33, which she has no interest in). Based on me catching her reading, she's really taken to Tobler's books for long swords.

With that back story, the to me suprising result is she fell in love with a Gallowglass. As was noted seveal times by posters in the thread, there's no substitute for handling and seeing them. Thanks, Brian.

As for me... Laughing Out Loud

Ten seconds with the Albion Knight and I knew I was going to get one. It handles like a dream to my hand. It looks absolutely archetypal for a knight's sword. Peter and Albion nailed that sword. Without a doubt it'll be what I order next time I spring for an Albion.

The AT1315 looked and felt like a great way to learn demolishing tatami rolls...

Biggest surprise: The Munich. Gorgeous. Flawless.To my eye it was easily the most beautiful one there. Then I picked it up. I am so awkward with it as to have a cognitive disconnect between how it looks and how I failed to work with it.

Guilty pleasure: a '300' (the movie) offering from Windlass. It was vicious to look at. A hunk of metal with one purpose: to hack off human limbs. It looked to be horribly blade heavy. It was astonishingly not so. But wait, there's more: order now and you get a similarly vicious brass-knuckles-like hand guard with it. If you don't feel an urge to hack and punch things with it, you're in the wrong hobby....

Cheers!
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 19 Oct, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Keith L. Rogers wrote:
A report mostly for personal review Happy ... We got the chance to visit BrianK yesterday. He had around 20 swords of various types available to handle. About 2/3 were Albions, also present were some Gus Trim, Windlass, Hanwei, probably some I've forgotten.

I felt like an armoror of old showing my wares. T'was pretty cool really.

Keith L. Rogers wrote:
With that back story, the to me suprising result is she fell in love with a Gallowglass. As was noted seveal times by posters in the thread, there's no substitute for handling and seeing them. Thanks, Brian.

You're welcome. It was neat seeing the instant 'wow' factor when she picked up the sword after handling all the rest first. A fantastic sword really (Gallowglass). I'm just glad it will go to a good home.

Keith L. Rogers wrote:
Ten seconds with the Albion Knight and I knew I was going to get one. It handles like a dream to my hand. It looks absolutely archetypal for a knight's sword. Peter and Albion nailed that sword. Without a doubt it'll be what I order next time I spring for an Albion.

Everyone should have an experience with the Knight. It usually sell's itself. It is Albion's best value, in my opinion. The Vigil isn't bad either Wink

Now, on to the pumpkin party Big Grin

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
P. Cha

PostPosted: Mon 19 Oct, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah the knight is the quintessential arming sword...and the crecy is the longsword. Both sell themselves quite well. One of my friends who hates anything non asian fell in love with my crecy hehe.

So the little lass like the Gallowglass...interesting choice. Would never have figured that out without some hands on. Well good too see the visit worked out well Happy .

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword recommendations for lesser strength person
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: