New maces from Tods Stuff
Hi all,

After getting inspired by the Norwegian mace head Elling Polden (thanks for bringing it to our attention) christened Mr Ugly, I made replica based on it and another based on a UK mace.

The original Norwegian mace was 14thC, and cast in bronze. The rear of the head was actually geometric in carving whilst I went for a more anthropromorphic design for the 'hair' whilst trying to keep true to the face. There had to be a bit of interpretation in the face as some of the detail has clearly been lost from the original.

The early medeival mace is based on one in the British Museum and is 12th or 13thC and also cast in bronze, this one I kept much closer to the original.

I carved both the mace heads in beeswax so that even though they are investment cast they retain a really genuine look and feel.

I hope you like them and they will now form part of my regular stock.

Tod

Attachment: 124.5 KB
P1000587.JPG

Attachment: 110.92 KB
P1000588.JPG

Attachment: 108.05 KB
P1000585.JPG

Attachment: 137.53 KB
P1000591.JPG

That is excellent work! I really like how you did the mace heads as soon as I get some extra cash I will definitely buy one! Well done sir, well done indeed.
"What's he smileing at? Oh right-" *CLANK* :lol:
Nice work, reminds me of a plauge victum for some reason.
Way cool! I wonder if we'll se a rapid rise/inflation in Mr. Ugly maces on the battlefield over here now...

Johan Schubert Moen
Great looking maces, do you have dimensions / stats / weights on both on them?

I believe there is a pic of the macehead from the British Museum in Warrior 1 Norman Knight AD 950 - 1204 (Osprey Publishing).

Does anyone have information on the British Museum macehead and dimensions / weight?

Thanks

Danny
Thanks for the nice words; I enjoyed making them.

Quote:
Danny Grigg wrote Great looking maces, do you have dimensions / stats / weights on both on them?

I believe there is a pic of the macehead from the British Museum in Warrior 1 Norman Knight AD 950 - 1204 (Osprey Publishing).

The Norwegian mace body is 47mm diameter and 56mm tall and the spikes stick out a bit further. The weight is 396g and the through hole is 28mm at the base and 27mm at the top.

The British Museum mace is 44mm diameter plus spikes and 54mm tall with a 25mm blind hole and weighs 368g.

Both are priced at £45 for the head only or £75 mounted on an ash shaft as shown earlier.

Tod
Hi Tod,
Very nice looking mace heads you have there. I do have a question, I can see how "Mr. Ugly" is secured to the shaft and secured. Is the British Museum mace just press fitted onto it's shaft? I am also wondering how long the ash shaft is that they are mounted to. I have to say that they are both very reasonably priced for the quality of the work. Are there any options for the shafts besides the basic one that you show?

Scott
A -MAZE-ING craftsmanship as usual Leo ! :p

Stefan from Stockkholm and the Company of Saint George
Very neat!
The original is a bit more rounded, as can be expected, but a very nice piece!
Scott Kowalski wrote:
Hi Tod,
Very nice looking mace heads you have there. I do have a question, I can see how "Mr. Ugly" is secured to the shaft and secured. Is the British Museum mace just press fitted onto it's shaft? I am also wondering how long the ash shaft is that they are mounted to. I have to say that they are both very reasonably priced for the quality of the work. Are there any options for the shafts besides the basic one that you show?

Scott

If you look at the second picture closely, you can see a rivet head on each side of the base of the British Museum piece.
Quote:
Scott Kowalski wrote
I do have a question, I can see how "Mr. Ugly" is secured to the shaft and secured. Is the British Museum mace just press fitted onto it's shaft? I am also wondering how long the ash shaft is that they are mounted to. I have to say that they are both very reasonably priced for the quality of the work. Are there any options for the shafts besides the basic one that you show?

As Chad just identified the British Museum one is rivetted through the base of the head, but the shaft is a secure fit in the head and for extra security I also bonded it.

Thes shafts shown have about 50cm from the base of the head which works well for me but I can mount/they can be mounted to any length or design of shaft.

As regards price, they are a good price at the moment as I am just trying to recoup some costs.

Tod
Chad Arnow wrote:

If you look at the second picture closely, you can see a rivet head on each side of the base of the British Museum piece.

That is a good pretty good catch for an old man Chad! ;) Happy Birthday by the way. I had to go back and look close and then I was able to spot the rivets. I guess I am getting old.
Leo Todeschini wrote:
As Chad just identified the British Museum one is rivetted through the base of the head, but the shaft is a secure fit in the head and for extra security I also bonded it.

Thes shafts shown have about 50cm from the base of the head which works well for me but I can mount/they can be mounted to any length or design of shaft.

As regards price, they are a good price at the moment as I am just trying to recoup some costs.

Tod

Thank you for replying Tod. That length sounds very handy indeed.

Scott
(bad pun alert)

Very umm.. Striking

As you said at the time Tod, I should have guessed what was coming. Perhaps you should run a competition at TORM in November as to the Trader he most resembles....

Completely out of my period (s), but as usual I'm very tempted. Could come in very handy in some of the less salubrious areas that I have to visit from time to time

Martin
Leo Todeschini wrote:
Thanks for the nice words; I enjoyed making them.

Quote:
Danny Grigg wrote Great looking maces, do you have dimensions / stats / weights on both on them?

The Norwegian mace body is 47mm diameter and 56mm tall and the spikes stick out a bit further. The weight is 396g and the through hole is 28mm at the base and 27mm at the top.

The British Museum mace is 44mm diameter plus spikes and 54mm tall with a 25mm blind hole and weighs 368g.

Both are priced at £45 for the head only or £75 mounted on an ash shaft as shown earlier.

Tod

Tod, thanks for the info.

So is the overall length including the shaft 50 cm?
What's the weight of each one including the shaft?
Is the design of the shafts based on historical findings or period art?
I know wooden hafts rarely survive.

Thanks

Danny
Quote:
A -MAZE-ING craftsmanship as usual Leo !

Nah, these are A-MACE-ING :lol:
Quote:
Danny Grigg wrote
So is the overall length including the shaft 50 cm?
What's the weight of each one including the shaft?
Is the design of the shafts based on historical findings or period art?
I know wooden hafts rarely survive.

Overall length on both is 50cm/20"
The Norweigian mace is 610g and the Brtitish Museum mace is 550g
The hafts are not from a source, but are simple turned items with a grip area, the sort of haft that would have been made since the dawn of lathes - so it is hard to say they are right, but impossible to say they are wrong.

Tod
Leo Todeschini wrote:

The hafts are not from a source, but are simple turned items with a grip area, the sort of haft that would have been made since the dawn of lathes - so it is hard to say they are right, but impossible to say they are wrong.

Here's one from France circa 1861. The text also states the ancient Egyptians made a 2 person lath around 1300BC.
http://www.rauantiques.com/item/Antique-Woodw...agodNlWB_g

Ya just never know sometimes. :D

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: