designing some swords
hi, im designing swords for some time now as a hobby but i don't know where to send them exept darksword armory i tought about OlliN and windlass but is there other makers who would be interrested for taking design? i would accept a sword for a pay (one from my design of course ;) )

thank you for your answer in advance.
By the way is there a way to have a copy right on swords?
Maybe you could try with Gen2? You can have a copyright on your design, but I don't know how to do that.
Personally, I don't believe much in copyright for sword designs. I've always considered swords to be Open Source, so to speak.
what i mean is just put my name on the design legaly because i don't want it to be stole by another guy.

maybe im a little paranoiac about this... :lol:
Well, if it's your designs, of course you have the right to put your name on them. I doubt it'll stop other people from making swords based on your ideas, though.

Plus, copyright requires a certain degree of originality, which leads to the tricky question of what exactly constitutes an "original" sword design. It's not like we can claim copyright on historical styles with some new variations thrown in.

Still, my understanding of intellectual property laws in regards to swords is admittedly a bit hazy, so I'm probably not the right person to ask.
take for exemple the tsuba that musashi designed, today it is still to his name (thats the style of copyright or put my name on the design that i want)
Copyright laws change with national borders. Some countries do not recognize them at all, or do not care if someone copies a piece directly. I know several knifemakers with both copyrights and patents on their knives, who found cheap Chinese and Pakistani knockoffs. None of the knifemakers were contacted about their design, or offered money.

In the US, I believe a piece must be considered more than 10% different to avoid copyright. now take into account how many historical patterns are now considered public domain, and you have to come up with a rather unusual design to avoid copying anyone else or not being able to copyright it due to prior art.
Today it is difficult to defend patents, let alone a drawing of a sword.
A polyurethane machine has been bought by a fake Chinese customer, has been copied, including the use and maintenance manuals, also, the color.
Only change the name.
Our lawyers in China have returned empty-handed. :cool:
On the other hand, If it is recognition that you are looking for, that can come with good designs and execution. The tsuba you mentioned was probably never copyrighted, and several modern knifemakers have developed a style that can be recognized from across the room, and even in the trade magazines you see "in the style of..." Moran, Loveless, Scagel.

In addition to those, other makers, and companies, who have a distinct style include, Ruana, Randall, Marbles, Leatherman, Starfire, Fowler. Each had an idea in mind and developed that to what they felt was the right direction.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: