Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Article on bouting artifacts Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Steven Reich

PostPosted: Fri 25 Sep, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven H wrote:
Thanks for sharing that! Those rules are great. Is there more info, and if so where might I find it?

Unfortunately, that's all I've found. The small bit I found was in Manciolino and The Anonymous Bolognese.

Founder of NoVA-Assalto, an affiliate of the HEMA Alliance
Eric Fick

PostPosted: Sat 26 Sep, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Teague wrote:
Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
I personally think that the biggest artifact is that bouting is taking place between people familiar with the sources and actually trained in the art (often the same art).
And taught by the same instructor(s).

I agree, we do need to mix the art of a bit via freeplay: backsword vs small sword or rapier, messer vs longsword, arming sword vs sword & buckler , spear vs poleaxe et al.

Different schools of the art facing each other( with unlike weapons when possible).

You're right about people being trained in the same art, we all draw from the same sources (known bag of tricks) within our systems. I'm not going to surprise any of my people with the five "hidden hews" nor anybody else who studies Liechtenauer art as they are no longer hidden from the masses thanks to the internet, DVDs and the printed page. Anybody who's studied Thomas Page's Use of the Highland Broadsword should be aware of his tricks to win the first cut with the broadsword when facing me with that weapon.

What makes it fun is mixing it up. The "unfair fight" in freeplay can be a great learning tool. Big Grin

Cheers,

I agree fully, when fighting with in your own pool of knowledge you will only ever use what "works" with in your group or pool of knowlege and possibly (unknowingly) eliminate valid techniques because your training partners know how to deal with them. This effectivly waters down your own pool of knowledge and may eliminate some founding principals in your art/ system. Mixing it up and adding or training with other pools of knowlege allow you to better understand your own art as it relates to everyone else outside your group, thats why things like WMAW seminars and tournaments are so vital to our community.

Cheers,

Eric Fick
Davenriche European Martial Artes Schoole
www.swordfightingschool.com

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Article on bouting artifacts
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: