1066 mail sleeves
Hi,
I am thinking of getting a mail shirt made for me for a 1066 Norman kit. Looking at the Bayeux(sp?) Tapestry it looks like th mail goes down past the elbow like 3/4 length sleeves, on others above the elbow like a modern T-shirt, on a few it looks like a full sleeve. What do u'all think?
Thanx
Z
(Note I wrote "mail" not "chainmail" just learned that on this site, thanks! :cool:)
Any of the depictions on the Bayeux Tapestry is just as valid as any other. You an have sleeves of any length you see depicted there.
I just don't know how good I am at interpreting art so I don't know, just what it looked like. What other sources are there? Which would be the MOST accurate?
Thnx
Well, I'd imagine at the time pretty much everyone wore similar equiptment, I mean the Saxons on the Bayeux Tapestry are dressed basically the same way as the Normans (though this could be artistic licence), and what you see is what you get, they're probably all wearing maille, though some might say that the different patterns represent padding or scale (though, once again, this was probably artistic licence on the weavers part). :D
The most 'accurate' that you could probably get is having nothing but a shield and a spear and a tunic, after all maille was/is expensive. :eek:
But, if I had to pick a length, I have a 3/4 length sleeved one (though that's because it's too big for me :lol: ), so I'd go for that if I had to pick...

Attachment: 49.07 KB
BattleDetail.jpg

If your going for a fully armed and armoured Norman knight you should probably get a full length maille coat with full sleeves to the wrist and down to mid calf with a slit in front and back (the idea being to be able sit on your horse). I say this because I know several people who have specific Norman kit and that is how they have it.
I believe they also wore maille coverings over their breeches but you'll have to check that.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: