My homemade spangenhelm
http://s1001.photobucket.com/albums/af139/Bshep83/

I encountered some difficulties making this helm. First, my planishing leaves much to be desired. I decided to just leave in the dents and fire- scale rather than grind down the metal and risk thinning it too much. I used domed copper rivets because that's what I had on hand, and now wish I had used flat steel rivets, and peened them into a dome shape. Anyway, I've started on a great helm so maybe it will turn out better.[/url]
Not too bad for the first try, Bob. What I would advise though if you decide to make another spangen is that this one is clearly too shallow - it would "sit" way too high, leaving the side of your head wide open, and it is too little domed - one of the reasons many helmets are domed are to cause opponents weapon to glance off instead of doing a solid hit and the less domed helmet is, less likely it is to achiewe this result.
It certainly is too shallow. I used plans I found on-line, but am starting from scratch on the great helm going only by a photo of an effigy. Live and learn.
A taller helm also means that a heavy blow that might dent it or caved it in won't reach the skull while a very very close to the skull helm with just a very small space for suspension or padding and the force of the blow could directly be transmitted to the skull.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: