Late Henrician swords
What style of sword would the common English soldiery of the mid-16th century be carrying?

We know basket-hilt swords existed as early as 1545 (several examples were found on the Mary Rose) but I've always assumed that these were gentlemen's / officer's swords since they would have been the latest fashion and therefore quite prestigious.

The typical English archer of the period, likely recruited on an as-needs basis, is unlikely to have the means to afford a high-quality weapon like a basket-hilt. So, what would he arm himself with, if anything?

I assume some form of general-purpose cut-and-thrust sword would be favoured in preference to the (thrusting) rapier. After all, the English archer was never renowned for his subtly and delicacy!

Any advice you can offer will be gratefully received.
Glennan,

I have loads of pictures of this period of swords. Here are two but let me know if you'd like more and I will look about for more.

These are both mid 16th, give or take a decade or so on either side or there abouts.

Ignore the guy in the 17th century armour in the second one.

RPM

Attachment: 18.26 KB
Royal Armouries (266)web.jpg

Attachment: 16.97 KB
MEin17thcntarmor (2)web.jpg

yes please, i'd like to see more mid XVIth century sword, it's also one of my main area of interest.
Mid 16th Century
By Mid 16th Century I assume you're looking at the last of Henry VIII's trips overseas, Mary's defence of Calsis and Elizabeth 1st's trips up north?

To be honest, the sources that cover the levying of troops to serve make very little mention of swords. Yes the men will get swords. And that's pretty much your lot....!

The later Elizabethen references usually refer to "Turkey blades" and close hilts or basket hilts. Daggers are always included, the lot to be worn on hamger and girdle.

I think they keep refering to "Turkey blades" as a whole group of blades are lumped in the Book of Rates for Excise duties under "Turkey", including Venetian, Schiavona and other fine blades.....

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: