Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Early Migration Monosteel Swords? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Myles Mulkey

PostPosted: Tue 29 Sep, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joseph E. wrote:
First Post!

I am nearly finished with a 'stock removal' Latene Celtic sword made from 1/4" x 1.5" steel bar stock. The 'how to' thread from the sword forum is good advice (wish I'd found it before I started). 1/4" seems fine for the tang, as long as you don't make it too narrow.

I used a cutoff wheel on an angle grinder to cut out the blank (tang and point) and hours of grinding to form the cross section (I also went with a lenticular shape, with no fuller). As I didn't find a wider bar, I had to go with very little (almost no) distal taper and a rather blunt tip(La Tene III style).

My advice with the grinding is to get ahold of a larger grinder than 4"-4.5". I killed mine by the time I was done. Rent or borrow a 9" grinder for the cross section. It'll go faster and use fewer discs. Also, grinding spot-heats the steel rather quickly--a purple color change in the metal is an indication that you've removed some of the temper, weakening that spot. Longer strokes allow air-cooling and avoid overheating the stock. I periodically quenched mine once I was near my desired cross section as well, to maintain/increase hardness. I may even torch-heat and brine-quench the edge, at least on the last several inches of the business end.

My biggest problem was peening the tang over the pommel. I heated the tang end, peened it, but also bent the tang inside the wooden pommel, causing the wood to crack. I made 3 pommels before I decided to rivet it on and peen it less tightly. If you're using a brass pommel, you may not have the same issue.

Anyway, my sword looks pretty good so far, but as a first try, don't expect CNC production quality. Good luck!

Cool, Joseph! Post some pics if you don't mind. I'd love to see your work. Also, where did you get your bar stock?
Joseph E.

PostPosted: Thu 01 Oct, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Myles Mulkey wrote:
Cool, Joseph! Post some pics if you don't mind. I'd love to see your work. Also, where did you get your bar stock?

Myles: Here is a link to my topic about the sword w/pics. http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=173813#173813

I just went to my local builder's supply store for the steel. I'm lucky to have one with an excellent supply of flat, bar, sheet, channel, (etc.) steel, plus brass, copper, etc. I found some twisted solid copper electrical wire just the right diameter and style for a Gallic torc. Soft enough to torch forge the ends. I was stoked.

Other places to look are welding supply shops or any business involved in metal fabrication. At the very least, they should be able to hook you up with their supplier, or you could get lucky and find what you want in their scrap pile.

Have fun. I did!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Early Migration Monosteel Swords?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: