Welsh Swords
During some research, I came across two interesting drawings. The first can be found here: http://digidol.llgc.org.uk/METS/lhw00003/phys...=reference. It is a mid-thirteenth depiction of Welsh weapons and shows a leaf-bladed sword with an interesting hand guard.
The second image can be found at: http://labspace.open.ac.uk/file.php/4721/Edward_2.pdf. It is a medieval english depiction of a welsh warrior who holds a leaf-shaped blade as well, though obviously different than the one in the previous picture. It appears to me that the Welsh continued to use leaf-blades well into the middle ages. I was wondering if others might have more information on this.
Interesting, though I think it could be argued that neither of those weapons would be considered leaf shaped. Thanks though, those are gret links!!
Nate, can you post the other picture without the link? It seems that I should be registered there to see it... Btw, I would love to see a proof for medieval leaf blades.
It appears to me that the drawing in the first link could be due to poor skills. :?: Just an observation of course.
Yeah, first one just seems like simple, austere drawning to me.
The first drawing looks to me a bit hasty: the sword would be a normal straight sword, with curved guard. A type XII or XIV most probably. Probably made by an English or possibly French sword smith. Possibly an imported blade hilted locally.

In the second image the spear man to me seems to be holding a big knife in his left hand. Note that the blade is markedly lighter in color along one side. This is a typical way to depict sharpness or edge in medieval manuscripts. Knives like these could well have been made locally.
Hmmm, I would say that both of these drawings display poor skill. It's kinda hard to say they're leaf blades when they are so poorly rendered.....
You are talking about a Cledd or Cleddyf, which is the Welsh word for sword. I can't find a photos of one on the internet, except for the custom WWI custom built Welch Fusiliers machine gun corps knife.which was based on a medieval cledd.

For the WWI Cledd, see this thread - http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ight=cledd

Attachment: 10.62 KB
trenchdledd.jpg
WWI Cledd
After looking at the pictures again, I think that the first looks intentionally curved, though the second one may very well be just a bad drawing. This is definitely not proof for medieval leaf-blades, though.

Attachment: 13.38 KB
Welsh Swords.JPG

The drawing of the one fellow there looks to be holding a seax type knife as opposed to a sword of any type.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: