NYHFA in the New York Daily News
Hi all,

Just thought I'd mention that the New York Daily News ran a small article on the New York Historical Fencing Association in this morning's paper. It's a little fluffy, but not too bad. I am very pleased. It would have been better if they'd included some contact info, but I suppose resourceful people can always use Google.

[ Linked Image ]

Here is a link to a slightly larger image:

http://newyorklongsword.com/pics/article.jpg
good article
Hello Michael,
those articles can go in so many different directions, so I am glad to see that Mr Lipkin ( the journalist) treated your story even handedly, though a bit '' fluffy'' as you mentionned. The fluffy part would be the reference to the modern day knight, but that's ok as he is writing for the greater public, and there is a need for simplification when dealing with recreational subjects. It is easier to get the attention with a well known image, such as a that of a knight.
Anyway, I hope this attracts some serious students . Cheers, JC
Congratulations on a nice article, obviously we could always like more details and " contact information " and a little more about the basic principles but it does seem like enough to get people interested in looking you up and maybe join.

I might have wanted a few words about safety in training and that you don't actually hit each other unless very well armoured or that even then it is done with control.

But getting good spin from a newspaper is always tricky as the writer might focus on something sensationalistic rather than factual and you seem to have avoided that " bullet ". ;) :p :cool:

Bottom line: Glad it worked out as good P.R. :D
Congratulations.

Cheers,
Steven
That's wonderful Mike. I'm happy for you and your group and the art in general. It's a nice piece.
Thank you.

The "modern day knight" bit was the reporter's idea, naturally, I said nothing to the effect, nor would I. However, now that I have been knighted by a major New York newspaper, I just don't know anymore. :)
Interesting article. Neat to see a part of our little hobby getting some news.

Michael-

I think you need to change your screen name to "Sir" Michael Edelson!!!!!!!!
Tim Lison wrote:

Michael-

I think you need to change your screen name to "Sir" Michael Edelson!!!!!!!!

Yes...Sir Michael...I like the sound of that. As we have no monarch, I believe a newspaper has sufficient authority to grant American knighthood. :)
thats cool :)
Ciao,
It took me a while to translate. Congratulations " Sir Michael " :)
In Italy we have only two schools (only two!) that are recognized by the Italian Federation of Fencing.
Works so in America?
Schools are recognized by the sports federation?

Maurizio
Maurizio D'Angelo wrote:
Ciao,
It took me a while to translate. Congratulations " Sir Michael " :)
In Italy we have only two schools (only two!) that are recognized by the Italian Federation of Fencing.
Works so in America?
Schools are recognized by the sports federation?

Maurizio

Well I'm not up on the " political " organization of sword groups in the U.S.A. but generally I would say that there are at least 3 groups that have some importance in numbers of participants and these would be the SCA groups, the ARMA group and the various HEMA groups. ( Sorry if I don't know much about others like LARPERS, which are sort of differently motivated than recreating the sword arts accurately, nothing wrong with just having fun though !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_action_role-playing_game )

There is no central power structures having universal authority to regulate the activity or make rules about ranks etc ...
( Not a Sports Federation like for modern Olympic fencing I think ??? ).

This in a way is a good thing as uniformity here would be premature in my opinion as different groups have different approaches to the way they stick closely or not to the original texts and techniques and no universal agreement about interpretations.

One important division is between trying to stay as close as possible to what we think we know the original techniques where performed and other who are more into experimental and at times " modern " invented techniques.

( One could also add that there is a division between a Martial Arts approach and a more competitive " Sports " approach and sometimes people trying to do a bit of both ..... preferably not confusing the two at the same time !? ).

Since many groups are small and totally self-regulating the " dogma " about what is right or wrong technique or historically correct technique isn't unanimous and I wouldn't want at this stage having some bureaucratic group deciding for everybody what is right or true.

There may be many differences in interpretation between groups but most of the serious ones that follow either the German or Italian schools do agree in the broad strokes at least within the HEMA groups. ( As far as ARMA I don't personally know their internal politics enough or their approach compared to the HEMA groups to have an informed opinion ;) ).

I'm sure other here know the inner workings and politics ( " DRAMA " ) inside the various schools of Western Swordsmanship, and I hope the discussion doesn't get too heated or tense in later posts. ;) :eek: :lol: This subject brings out passions and rivalries unfortunately at times.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: