Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help date a Shin-Gunto blade Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Don Stanko

Reading list: 482 books

PostPosted: Tue 01 Sep, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Help date a Shin-Gunto blade         Reply with quote

Hello everybody. I have a Japanese sword blade which at one time was mounted in WWII Shin-Gunto mounts (at least that is what I could determine from my brief Internet education on Japanese swords). This is way out of my area of interest and I was hoping that someone would be able to place a possible age on this blade. I'm not even sure if that is possible with the small amount of information I have. So far I can say that the total length of the blade is 66.5 cm, with the blade measuring 53 cm. The blade has a strong curve to it and I believe that is was hand made and not machine made. I think that it was hand made because the tang is oxidized to black, the hole in the tang appears to not be drilled and there seems to be the remnants of a harmon (a frosty-grey looking haze near the cutting portion of the blade) located near the handle, the rest of the blade is in too bad of shape to see the pattern of the harmon. Apart from that I have very little else but I will try to answer any questions. I will attach some photos and have more if needed.

Also, I would like to see if the blade is worth polishing and where to go for such service.

Thanks in advance!

Attachment: 26.97 KB
ShinG8.jpg

Attachment: 46.02 KB
Shin2.jpg

Attachment: 42.84 KB
Shin3.jpg
Where the harmon is strongest.

Attachment: 41.58 KB
Shin4.jpg
Tang.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help date a Shin-Gunto blade