Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Custom Bascinet by Wild Armoury Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Mon 31 Aug, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Custom Bascinet by Wild Armoury         Reply with quote

Hello all, I recently decided to start an early 15th century kit and had a custom bascinet made to suit my tastes. I just recieved photographs of the nearly finished product and couldn't wait to show them off. The helm was crafted by Maxim Suprovich of Wild Armoury.

Attachment: 110.72 KB
Helm1.jpg

Attachment: 101.56 KB
Helm2.jpg

Attachment: 117.55 KB
Helm3.jpg

Attachment: 98.01 KB
Resize of Rotation of DSCF4238.jpg

Last edited by Robert S. Haile on Wed 02 Sep, 2009 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Mon 31 Aug, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Big Grin Nice one. And dare I ask, what do you mean by nearly finished? What more needs to be done?
Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Mon 31 Aug, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks very much! Big Grin

Well, it's still got to have its lining done, the visor needs to be perforated in a pattern, and I believe some decorative rivets are going to be added/replacing other rivets. Oh yes, a locking system is also going to be made for the visor.
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thread Updated with new pictures.

At last the finished product. With the exception of the liner. I'm very pleased with it, and highly recommend Maxim's work if you want a custom helm. This piece was done for $450. The best way of describing its design would be to say it's the love child of a bascinet and a frogmouth helm. I've had Allan of the Mercenary's Tailor slaving away on armor for the rest of the kit over the last few months, and hope to complete it soon.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 13 Oct, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow nice helmet. Looks like a very nice job maxim did for you. Congrats on the new brainguard!

RPM
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Thu 12 Nov, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recently came across this Italian period artwork right here on myArmoury. Interestingly enough my bascinet here somewhat resembles the bascinet in the attachment, although not identical. The thread I located it in is certainly worth a read.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...t=aventail

Attachment: 15.59 KB
RobertHelm.jpg

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 13 Nov, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert S. Haile wrote:
I recently came across this Italian period artwork right here on myArmoury. Interestingly enough my bascinet here somewhat resembles the bascinet in the attachment, although not identical. The thread I located it in is certainly worth a read.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...t=aventail

But the image is also from 1367, not early 15th century as you're trying to portray. Happy You can find similar visors throughout the 14th century in quite a bit of period art.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Nathan Gilleland

PostPosted: Fri 13 Nov, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the style.

It's looks like a bascinet with an early transitional flavor towards a sallet. The visor looks a little sallet-like to me (though much longer).

Beautiful work!

Seek Honor before Wealth,
Truth before Honor,
God Before all
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Fri 13 Nov, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing out the date on the artwork, Chad. Honestly I've been bouncing around on which side of the fence would be more appropriate; very late 14th century, or early 15th century. Obviously since the visor of the helm is for the most part a fabrication I have a bit of wiggle room. I have leg and arm harnesses from the merc tailor as well, which are labeled 15th century (I believe the style was used in the latter part of the 14th century too though). I'll also be getting a globose breastplate and maille skirt before too long. I'll make sure and post pictures of the harness when it's finished.
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Fri 06 May, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry to bump such an old topic, but I've had quite a number of people what the inspiration for the visor on this bascinet was, and I was never able to do more than tell them it was originally inspired by a few images in the Getty manuscript, both c. 1410. I now have access to the two images this was based around and have revived the thread to post them for those folks who were curious. Hope this helps those of you out who were wanting to see this.

The first image here is from the mounted section of Fiore's section on mounted combat. At first I thought the bascinet pictured here was merely an open faced helm with a marking on the paper creating the illusion of an unusual visor, however, after seeing the second image of what appears to be the same mounted gentleman, I believe them to picture the same bascinet.

As you can see, the visor is raised here and features an ocular which puckers outward. It also appears to feature a section which peaks up over the forehead creating a double layering similar to those seen on later armets. If I have mistaken the first image, this one remains of rather similar construction to the reproduction maxim produced for me. This image also seem to be awfully similar to the visor I posted earlier in the thread, which was featured roughly 35 years earlier.
N Cioran

PostPosted: Mon 09 May, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert,

For my own part I believe that the pics from Liberi and elsewhere demonstrate that there was a lot of experimentation going on with armour in the late fourtheenth/early fifteenth century in Italy, much of which never made it back into the main part of Europe.

In particular this sort of frog mouthed bascinet seems to be peculiar to the period, but reasonably popular...

Cole
Considering something like this for his next helm...

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Custom Bascinet by Wild Armoury
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic