Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Christian Fletcher / John Lundemo collaboration- Elven Saber Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Christian Fletcher
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 26 Aug, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alas, there is no scabbard planned for this commission (and I can think of a few things that would work for this).

This is the original concept sketch for the hiltwork and, hopefully, a clearer image of the pattern weld in the blade.

Attachment: 80.53 KB
P1030054.jpg

Attachment: 16.24 KB
SCAN0098_2.jpg

Christian Fletcher
www.christianfletcher.com
John Lundemo
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 27 Aug, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
It doesn't work for me personally. While the skill of both parties is undeniable, the combination of this hilt style and blade shape just doesn't go well together. I would have prefered to see a longer and/or more slender blade combined with that hilt, or at least a blade without such a stubby point. As I said, the work is beautiful but the proportions leave me cold.
I agree with you Patrick. I did try to have more imput on the blade style but alas, it was the customers decision to make it like a Gus Trim Katana blade that was originally going to be used, but now in damascus. A longer more european blade style is what I opted for, not to be. That's ok though as the whole sword is very different and has a certain cool lethality to it. It was a pleasure to work with Christian, my first job with him. His work on the hilt from concept to finish is very impressive. Sorry the blade style wasn't more to your liking.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 28 Aug, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry the blade style wasn't more to your liking.

No worries on my end John, it's just a personal thing and no reflection on your abilities. I've enjoyed watching your work evolve over the years and some day I need to place an order with you. (that recent Zweihander was truly inspiring) Christians work has also evolved to an impressive level since I met him five or six years ago. One of the things I appreciate most about his work and yours is that you both have distinctive styles that are unmistakable. One can immediately tell a Lundemo sword or a CF scabbard from your own unique styles. I can't think of a better compliment than that.
Neal Stearns

PostPosted: Fri 28 Aug, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Christian Fletcher / John Lundemo collaboration- Elven S         Reply with quote

Christian Fletcher wrote:
Damascus saber blade by John Lundemo, hiltwork by Christian Fletcher.

Well I generally dislike all elvish things... but I have to admit that this is very pretty.
Adam S.

PostPosted: Fri 28 Aug, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love the blade, John. I see what Patrick is saying, and I agree, but it's a damn fine blade.

Christian,

I love the pommel, the grip is fantastic, and the bar work looks perfectly organic.
My only sticking point would be the leaves. I know you were most likely following the customer's design, but they look like an after-thought to me. I think if the leaves had stems that incorporated them into the rest of the guard it would look more natural.

But that's my only sticking point. The total package looks fantastic.

Thanks for sharing.
Patryk Nieczarowski
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 29 Aug, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ABSOLUTLY PIECE OF ART Happy

...espesilly the balance between finished and "non finito " details of hand-guard ...really bauty Happy
Dan MacDonald

PostPosted: Sat 29 Aug, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would be proud to own that blade.
I understand exactly what Patrick is saying, but I still love it. I hope you two collaberate on more projects because that is stunning work by both of you.

...Dan
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 29 Aug, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Lundemo wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:
It doesn't work for me personally. While the skill of both parties is undeniable, the combination of this hilt style and blade shape just doesn't go well together. I would have prefered to see a longer and/or more slender blade combined with that hilt, or at least a blade without such a stubby point. As I said, the work is beautiful but the proportions leave me cold.

I agree with you Patrick. I did try to have more imput on the blade style but alas, it was the customers decision to make it like a Gus Trim Katana blade that was originally going to be used, but now in damascus. A longer more european blade style is what I opted for, not to be. That's ok though as the whole sword is very different and has a certain cool lethality to it. It was a pleasure to work with Christian, my first job with him. His work on the hilt from concept to finish is very impressive. Sorry the blade style wasn't more to your liking.

Question for you, Mr. Lundemo ...

Is it a little more difficult ( maybe that's not the right word ) concentrating on a project
when, given your experiences, you might see how the desired effect would look more
impressive if your suggestions / advice was taken into account ?
John Lundemo
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 30 Aug, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
John Lundemo wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:

Question for you, Mr. Lundemo ...

Is it a little more difficult ( maybe that's not the right word ) concentrating on a project
when, given your experiences, you might see how the desired effect would look more
impressive if your suggestions / advice was taken into account ?
No more difficult to concentrate, just part of being a custom sword maker. When the customer is happy I'm happy. I trusted Christian and the customer with the design and I think it turned out pretty sweet. I would like to work with Mr. Fletcher again and then maybe have more imput but then it may be a historical type blade and then I would be doing my best to come very close to original.
Carl W.

PostPosted: Mon 31 Aug, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fwiw, I think the blade is superb, even more so after seeing the pattern close up pic. Need a sturdy blade for orcs. Besides, there is some old saying about customer is always right? Not me, we all wish! (well, except maybe Patrick :-)

Dummy questions: Cool grip is carved wood & cleverly shrunk leather? Some leaves may gouge elf's fingers?

Well done, thanks for sharing.
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Tue 01 Sep, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fantastic piece of art! I have to agree with Patrick though, "katanaissh" lines of the blade itself does not fitt the weapon quite as well as more slender, european style one would have - but it does not diminish the quality of a craftmanship, and overall it is one of weapons who'se picture I am going to keep close by to show people that fantasy styled weapons does not have to be those huge, cumbersone things that are often seen and give bad name to anything fantasy in regards to weapons and armour.
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Wed 02 Sep, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh My!
David L Smith
MSG (RET)
David Stokes

PostPosted: Sat 05 Sep, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

been a while since i posted but I just had to jump in on this one.

I remember back when John was working on this blade, around the same time he was working on my last batch of swords.
Its really nice to be able to see it finished.

EXCELLANT job on both makers parts!
Its a real shame there is no scabbard planned for it.
Tom Speight

PostPosted: Thu 17 Sep, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, that is REALLY spectacular..... I love the hilt.
R D Moore

PostPosted: Thu 17 Sep, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Absolutely beautiful! I agree with Patrick's sentiments about the blade, but the piece is gorgeous none the less, and I'm not one for fantasy swords but I do love this one. Well done, gentlemen.
"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Fri 18 Sep, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Undoubtedly, this sword is a stunning work of craftsmanship. Viewed as "a beautiful thing", it's a complete success.

I can't help but fear for the weight, though. Those metal leaves on the basket must add a lot. I do love the shaping on the quillons, knuckle bow and pommel. But over-all, I think I preferred Christian's original Venetian Saber design.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Daniel C.

PostPosted: Tue 29 Sep, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Proud Owner         Reply with quote

If I had seen all the comments about my sword I would have posted earlier so please excuse the delay. First let me thank John and Christian. Both are top notch professionals and I highly recommend both of them for any custom piece. This was truly a joint effort as I started with a vision of an "Elven Saber" and took advice/suggestions from both John and Christian to create what you see as a finished product. My biggest desire was that the finished product be well balanced and "usable". It's like owning a car that does 0-60 in 4 seconds. You might never do it but knowing you could is enough. In any case, I cannot thank both John and Christian enough. I have already begun dreaming up my next commissioned piece and plan on using these gentlemen again. And to make a small correction, there is definitely a scabbard on the way. Christian has already begun work and I'm sure he'll post pics when he's finished. It was a very hard decision for me to hold off on receiving the sword in order to wait for the scabbard but I have no doubt it will be worth the wait. :o)
Christian Fletcher
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 13 Oct, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Scabbard for Elven Saber         Reply with quote

Here are photos of the now completed scabbard...

Attachment: 28.16 KB
P1030568.jpg

Attachment: 71.33 KB
P1030571.jpg

Attachment: 33.24 KB
P1030574.jpg

Christian Fletcher
www.christianfletcher.com
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Tue 13 Oct, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nicely done! However, the overall look of the finished item confirms my first impression - it would look even more fluid, "elvish" with slightly more surved euroean style blade. However, if you look at the craftmanship of the weapon and scabbard, it appears to be superb.
R D Moore

PostPosted: Wed 14 Oct, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Absolutely stunning combination! That scabbard is the perfect compliment to the sword while a piece of art on it's own!
"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Christian Fletcher / John Lundemo collaboration- Elven Saber
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: