Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > help w/ a 13th cent. crusader kit. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Johan S. Moen

PostPosted: Fri 28 Aug, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:
IAuthenticity is going to cost you at least $800 and weigh at least 40lbs.

40 pounds - as in the weight of a shirt of rivetted mail? That's a bit excessive, about 15-20 pounds is more likely.

Johan Schubert Moen
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 28 Aug, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Johan S. Moen wrote:
JE Sarge wrote:
IAuthenticity is going to cost you at least $800 and weigh at least 40lbs.

40 pounds - as in the weight of a shirt of rivetted mail? That's a bit excessive, about 15-20 pounds is more likely.

Johan Schubert Moen

Perhaps if he only wanted the shirt, but that is not completely authentic for the look I felt he was going for. I should have been clearer in my post in specifying that I was speaking of all the maille he would need. A period accurate riveted knee-lengh long sleeve hauberk with integrated mittens, coif with ventail, and mail chauses with feet is what I was speaking of. If he wants the whole authentic Crusader kit and kaboodle, $800 and 40 lbs will be on the lighter side of things as far as my experience goes - and that is just for maille coverage. Padding, helm, surcoat, cloak, pouches, shield, weapons, and sword leather will add significantly to that estimate.

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Fri 28 Aug, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

actually, ed hit my reasoning right on the nail. (actually, he is where i got the inspiration for it) btw, this prodject is actaully goin to be in the future aways. (limited means, and school, with band, soccer, and track to boot Wink ) and my idea is actaully to be able to easily expanded into previous and future centuries.with the subrraction of the surcoat and a norman helm + kite shield and minor modifications, into a norman kit, and some plate, solid 14-15th cent. kit. so im goin for maximum adaptibility here. btw, ill buy a later riveted mail set to suplemement ringmesh. btw, why is it bad for sparring? does the wieght make the rings too thin? (i want something that wont get cut easily)
"Id rather be historically accurate than politically correct"
Jonathan Atkin

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 28 Aug, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://weldedchainmail.com/

I drool over his maille its awesome sauce lol

"If I must choose between righteousness and peace, I choose righteousness''. - Theodore Roosevelt
Johan S. Moen

PostPosted: Sat 29 Aug, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:

Perhaps if he only wanted the shirt, but that is not completely authentic for the look I felt he was going for. I should have been clearer in my post in specifying that I was speaking of all the maille he would need. A period accurate riveted knee-lengh long sleeve hauberk with integrated mittens, coif with ventail, and mail chauses with feet is what I was speaking of. If he wants the whole authentic Crusader kit and kaboodle, $800 and 40 lbs will be on the lighter side of things as far as my experience goes - and that is just for maille coverage. Padding, helm, surcoat, cloak, pouches, shield, weapons, and sword leather will add significantly to that estimate.

In that case, I agree! Padding alone could quickly add 10-15 pounds in addition to the weight of the mail... And 800$ would most likely only get some of the lower end rivetted stuff (which mostly looks less appealing...).

Johan Schubert Moen
Neal Stearns

PostPosted: Sun 30 Aug, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am not certain of the historical accuracy but Museum Replicas does make some nice crusade period items that would fit your budget.

http://www.museumreplicas.com/s-5-crusades.aspx
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 31 Aug, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Neal Stearns wrote:
I am not certain of the historical accuracy but Museum Replicas does make some nice crusade period items that would fit your budget.

http://www.museumreplicas.com/s-5-crusades.aspx

MRL isn't a bad way to get started, IMHO. I used to own one of the 16g mild steel hauberks. It was reasonably well tailored for being an "off the shelf" mass produced mail shirt, in that they contoured the armpit and sleeve attachment reasonably well. The downside is that the matching coif was poorly designed, in my opinion. I suspect most of their coifs are designed similarly. They don't hang around the face and neck the way I'd like. They downplay this a lot in the photos by positioning it very carefully... but basically they seem to hang in in straight lines coming down off the cheeks, and so hang in a sheet that's out in front of your chest instead of draping down over it. They positioned it well for the example photo, but you can see a little of what I mean:

Most mass produced mail tends to suffer from a few common flaws. They're usually not well tailored around the shoulders and back, often don't have expansions around the base if it hangs below the waist, and the sleeves aren't always tapered. In period, you would have wanted the mail to act as a second skin, that moves with you and doesn't hang loose. This requires a lot of complex tailoring and having it sized to you, so unless you go full custom, you have to accept that the general sizing of mass-marketed mail will have these drawbacks. This makes it hard to do a 12th/13th century kit "right", because the long-sleeves really need to be done right, or else you get "wings of mail" due to a having a straight tube design that hangs open under its own weight.

Just some things to keep in mind when you're shopping for mail. Happy

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Mon 31 Aug, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

yes, ive actaually experienced the mail wings problem before. (buying short sleeves) can anyone tell me weather or not ringmesh can make a horsemans slit? if not, how hard is it to make one yourself, and how? and thanks ed for the recommendation, now i dont have to go thought the accursed customs (if the surfboards were a pain in the butt, i cant wait for the sharp pointies!!!!!! even the name of GDFB im sure might raise some red flags!!!!! Laughing Out Loud Eek! Laughing Out Loud also i saw some references to knights who had lost horses to the Muslims arrows. it stated that they revised their kit a bit, cutting down the lance and leaving the great helm in the camp tent and using somethin similar to a norman helm that was already worn w/ a coif under the great helm . (also, ditching the spurs) and functioning as heavy infantry. can anyone tell me about the authenticity of this (and if its true, what did i miss?) if so, i could pull that off, save money, (or buy a higher quality sword or so) forgo horses and lessons, ect, and numerous improvements to its authenticity. (btw, im also in the future going to order a cloak and surcoat from GDFB. is there anywhere i could pickem up in the USA? preferably east coast)
Mike Fawk

PostPosted: Mon 31 Aug, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well Ed's kit is nice, it is not very accurate at all. If that is the look you are going for that's ok, just dont tell people it's accurate Wink
I'd echo what has been said earlier about saving money and starting small. Adding a slit to a maille shirt is super easy, just clip a straight line the length that you want.
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Tue 01 Sep, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

here is my hospitaller kit. its based around the 1206 AD mark. i need to get a taller spear Wink
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 01 Sep, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Fawk wrote:
Well Ed's kit is nice, it is not very accurate at all. If that is the look you are going for that's ok, just dont tell people it's accurate Wink

Yep, I've cheated in many, many ways. The mail is butted aluminum, the leather is all wrong, etc. Happy

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Wed 02 Sep, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

not the look i am going for, but the idea of having a moderatly nice kit and upgrading expensive thingeys from there. also, i am trying to start a group. (just found a bunch of guys around the area who are into this too, and might need a kit or peices of it to wear if we ever get to doing events god willing. so far were just a bunch who like beating each other w/ swords every couple of days or so, but i think that with time and intrest, it can be done) also, can anyone get to me bout the dismounted crusader idea? im really looking into that.
Chuck Russell

PostPosted: Wed 02 Sep, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

your best bet is to figure out what country you want to be from and specifically what date. a few years forwards or backwards can change fashion and armour a lot. i know you probably don't want to be 100% period and thats ok too, but knowing a date will help you when figuring out the details... like having a 1490s breastplate and calling yourself a crusader etc Happy

i would do things in this order

decent periodish clothing/shoes. doesnt need to be spot on if thats not what your going for, but "sorta" goes a lot further than generic mixn match

either buying or making yourself a long sleeved knee length hauberk (mail shirt)

make/buy a matching coif

surcoat

helmet

sword

belts etc.
Kevin S

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm kinda interested in putting together a similar kit, though it will take me a long time to get the money together for such. I'm somewhat torn between buying cheaper mail soon or better mail later, since on the one hand I'd really rather only buy one set of mail and have it last me, but on the other hand I don't know if I could afford anything high quality for at least a couple of years. Anyway, that Windlass mail is looking nice, but it isn't riveted is it? I think I'd rather go with the Ring Mesh welded mail than butted mail, but I suppose I really should start with a soft kit. Any good sources for surcoat and hooded cloak patterns?

Also, MRL deal of the day is currently their riveted steel coif: http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-747-mail-armo...-ring.aspx
Too bad I don't have the money for it at the moment.

Oh, and I'm thinking of doing a Hospitaller kit similar to the one Chuck posted. Did you sew that yourself? It's pretty nice.
Jonathan Atkin

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd also suggest looking at the wonderful selection of books myArmoury has. You can read up on your future kits and how they were made worn and used by the people of the day!
"If I must choose between righteousness and peace, I choose righteousness''. - Theodore Roosevelt
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

haha, i am offended! Mad Laughing Out Loud i know i sound like the biggest noob forumite, but i wouldnt be caught dead with a breastplate and calling myself a crusader. i do spend a heckuvallotta time reviewing armour and whatnot, i do have a relatively good head as far as what is feasible with each other. actually, on the point of feasible, i actaully do consider, ther might have been a couple of knights or poor nobility, or seargents, who used a short-sleeve hauberk back then. maybe the vast majority of knight used long, but mebbe a few were weird like that. im not trying to justify a unhistorical detail, but it couldve happened. god i sound like a dissed noob again....... Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud really, as long as the peices are right, you have to wonder the FEASIBLE things that couldve happened. especially later in the 15-16 cent mercenaries largeley mixing and matching things. really. so, because i am uber-poor, i might have to cheat a coulpe times with thing like that, but, as long as its historically plausible..... (dissed noob comment again. Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud ) i am i on to something, or was there a somewhat uniformity w/ knights?
Rod Walker

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My recreations of knightly 13thC harness.

Cheers

Rod
Jouster
www.jousting.com.au

"Come! Let us lay a lance in rest,
And tilt at windmills under a wild sky!
For who would live so petty and unblessed
That dare not tilt at something, ere he die?"
--Errantry, John Galsworthy
Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are so many things that are possible because we were not there, and even those that were could not have seen every person that existed. The question becomes not what is possible but what is probable. If you want to portray a specific time period then you should try and use what is likely to have existed in that time period, rather than what may have existed but we have no evidence for. You do not sound like a "noob" but many of the people here have been studying this subject your entire life, and thus have greater experience (though perhaps not knowledge), if you listen to the mistakes and insights they have made over the years you can gain some of that experience. I personally agree that you should start out with a soft kit and work from there. Also, well it is fun to speculate as to what may or may not have existed, portraying an "unusual" type can make it look like you don't know any better. Have you checked out the Maciejowski Bible? It is a treasure trove of 13th century clothing, arms, and armour. Here is a website with many of the different images: http://www.medievaltymes.com/courtyard/maciejowski_images.htm
Best,
Hadrian Happy
p.s. Great kit Rod!!!! Love the overall look.

Historia magistra vitae est
Chuck Russell

PostPosted: Fri 04 Sep, 2009 4:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rod is my hero
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Fri 04 Sep, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
Rod is my hero

I think he is a hero to a lot of us! I would be happy to have one of his kits.

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > help w/ a 13th cent. crusader kit.
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: