Go to page 1, 2  Next

Using pool noodles (how?)
Hey folks,
I've picked up some pool noodles for cutting, but I'm not sure the best way to use them.

Obviously, I should cut them with the sharp edge of a sword :), but do people use a stand of some sort, or prop them up?

??

:)
Re: Using pool noodles (how?)
Chad Arnow wrote:
Hey folks,
I've picked up some pool noodles for cutting, but I'm not sure the best way to use them.

Obviously, I should cut them with the sharp edge of a sword :), but do people use a stand of some sort, or prop them up?

??

:)

Just shove em on the end of a fence post or a cutting stand that has a spike or nail.

I've also had my training partners throw them up in the air, they make good moving targets :p
Gary Grzybek wrote:
Just shove em on the end of a fence post or a cutting stand that has a spike or nail.

I've also had my training partners throw them up in the air, they make good moving targets :p

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I don't have a cutting stand or a fence. :wtf:

They all have a hole in the middle. Would it be okay to get a dowel that size and mount it to a base of some sort?
Chad,

Just drive a wooden stake into the ground.....

William
aka Bill
Depends on how quick you are. ;)

http://homepage.mac.com/aaronjustice/.Movies/cutting.mov

If you're using a two hander, cutting like this will be more difficult.
Chad Arnow wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I don't have a cutting stand or a fence. :wtf:

They all have a hole in the middle. Would it be okay to get a dowel that size and mount it to a base of some sort?

That's exactly the idea, but make sure the dowel is well short of your cutting height ;)
A while ago Bugei had the plans for their cutting stands available for download in PDF format.
If nothing else they have some good pictures that should give an idea of things.
nice video Aaron, btw, what sword is that?

-v
MRL Scottish Backsword. nathan Robinson did a review on it here.

Vincent Labolito wrote:
nice video Aaron, btw, what sword is that?

-v
Big Lots has noodles for $0.99 near me.
Well, I fashioned a cutting stand out of some scrap 2 x 4's I had laying around, and drilled a hole for a dowel to go in. The problem I'm finding is that if the dowel is too short, the noodle bends and doesn't get cut through. If the dowel is too long, it either breaks or goes sailing with the noodle well into my backyard (or both). How far into the noodle should a dowel or spike go? I've been using ~18 inch or ~30 inch pieces of 3/4 inch dowels.

Or maybe I just suck at this. :) I've have a few good all-the-way-through cuts, all with the Baron. I haven't been able to do anything but knock the noodle around with my ArmArt. I think it's me rather than the weapons.....
Chad Arnow wrote:
Well, I fashioned a cutting stand out of some scrap 2 x 4's I had laying around, and drilled a hole for a dowel to go in. The problem I'm finding is that if the dowel is too short, the noodle bends and doesn't get cut through. If the dowel is too long, it either breaks or goes sailing with the noodle well into my backyard (or both). How far into the noodle should a dowel or spike go? I've been using ~18 inch or ~30 inch pieces of 3/4 inch dowels.

Or maybe I just suck at this. :) I've have a few good all-the-way-through cuts, all with the Baron. I haven't been able to do anything but knock the noodle around with my ArmArt. I think it's me rather than the weapons.....

Just practice some more Chad and you'll get it. Imagine cutting through the object and not at it. The thing about noodles is that your edge has to be dead on or else they fly away or tear. I was cutting them like butter while they were in mid air with the Baron so it's definately not the sword.

Just practice :D
Gary Grzybek wrote:
Just practice some more Chad and you'll get it. Imagine cutting through the object and not at it. The thing about noodles is that your edge has to be dead on or else they fly away or tear. I was cutting them like butter while they were in mid air with the Baron so it's definately not the sword.

I figured it was me. :p I'm kinda swinging it like a baseball bat. Is that right or wrong?

The Baron handles so great. It's a shame I'm not using it quite right....
Chad Arnow wrote:
Gary Grzybek wrote:

I figured it was me. :p I'm kinda swinging it like a baseball bat. Is that right or wrong?

You are not alone in your poor pool noodle technique it seems. ;)
Joe Fults wrote:
You are not alone in your poor pool noodle technique it seems. ;)

Yeah, I pretty much suck at it. :eek: I either launch the noodle or break the dowel the noodle is on, sometimes both, most of the time. It's harder than I thought it would be.

I tried PVC pipe instead of a wooden dowel, but the hole in the mounting is a little wider than the pipe, so the pipe is likes to fly with the noodle.....
Chad Arnow wrote:
Gary Grzybek wrote:

I have found that it helps me to pull the sword slightly as it hits the target, so that the sword makes more of a slice than a chop. This results in the sword being slightly tucked in against me when the cut is completed. Otherwise the targets do tend to go sailing across the yard :eek:
Felix Wang wrote:
Chad Arnow wrote:
Gary Grzybek wrote:

I have found that it helps me to pull the sword slightly as it hits the target, so that the sword makes more of a slice than a chop. This results in the sword being slightly tucked in against me when the cut is completed. Otherwise the targets do tend to go sailing across the yard :eek:

Yes, a slight draw cut sometimes helps on these light targets. You also need some amount of velocity too.
notice how both the cat and dog leave the scene. Nice movie
" have found that it helps me to pull the sword slightly as it hits the target, so that the sword makes more of a slice than a chop. This results in the sword being slightly tucked in against me when the cut is completed. Otherwise the targets do tend to go sailing across the yard "

Interesting observation Chad, and quit correct.

Remember, when you're making a cut the strong hand (at the guard) is guiding the sword, while the weak hand (at the pommel) is the one pulling, thereby providing power to the cut.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: