Another question re. the Gilling-West sword.
Hello Gentlemen.

Back in Feb. I asked some questions re. the Gilling sword, and received a lot of help!

I have another question, as I'm getting along so far with making a sort of copy;

Can anyone tell me if the pommel-bar would be rivited to the pommel?
I ask because looking at pictures of this sword, I see no sign of any rivets.. (Tho' I would have thought it would have been rivited)

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Best wishes,
Richard.
The pictures I have don't show any signs of rivets. The under side of the pommel is corroded but smooth, so unless the rivets were recessed they aren't there. Also can't see any signs of a separation on the upper details that would suggest a rivet head peened over.
Thanks Peter,

You were a great help, sending me those photos back in Feb.!!

Yes, I too could see no signs of rivets anywhere on the pommel-bar or on the shoulders, so maybe I should just peen both parts at once.

Seeing as you were such a help, I've attached a few pictures of the work so far.......for your scrutiny.
This is the first time I've really took any pics as the work has progressed,.....normally think of that afterwards!

The grip is horn. I'm not sure if these pics are going to come out in reverse order, Sorry if they do!

Attachment: 97.69 KB
DSCN3603.JPG

Attachment: 97.35 KB
DSCN3602.JPG

Attachment: 97.41 KB
DSCN3605.JPG

Attachment: 98.44 KB
DSCN3607.JPG

Attachment: 90.98 KB
[ Download ]
The last pics were taken back about February. here are a few more, sort of an update.

The blade is one I had by Vladimir Cervenka, 74.4 cm long w/out tang.

pics of the various bits, then with some silver attached, the with most of the silver attached, apaprt from one band on the grip, and the small band on the pommel top where it'll all be peened together.

It won't be an axact copy by any means, as I hadn't enough silver for 5 bands on the grip!!
Cheers,

R.

Attachment: 54 KB
DSCN3793.JPG

Attachment: 63.37 KB
DSCN3795.JPG

Attachment: 46.87 KB
DSCN3796.JPG

Attachment: 49.51 KB
DSCN3797.JPG

Attachment: 48.76 KB
DSCN3800.JPG

Here are the newest pics.

The pattern is just drawn on with a sharpie to see what it'll look like when I get the engraving done.

Many thanks,

Richard.

Attachment: 84.6 KB
DSCN3804.JPG

Attachment: 99.03 KB
DSCN3798.JPG

Attachment: 98.88 KB
DSCN3799.JPG

Attachment: 55.93 KB
[ Download ]
Richard, that's looking really good, one of my favorites, so it's nice to see it coming to such a satisfying conclusion. One question, how are you making it? Forging or grinding?
Hi Tim,

Pleased you like it!

This one was a stock removal... but while on my swather today, I figured out that forging the hole for the tang would be a lot faster!.....(Punch shaped like the tang, hammered into a pilot hole,...have to try it!)

I had a question from the Moderator, and I apologise that I didn't make it clear That This is just a hobby thing, and I'm not advertising this for sale or anything!.. Sorry I didn't make it clear right at the start!!

R.
Richard-

This is looking really nice! However, I'm not sure how historically accurate the marker drawings on the pommel are ;) Seriously, it looks great. The horn of the grip is very nice! Can't wait to see it done!
Tim,

Sharpies have been around longer than most folks think!

I too would like to get it finished, as it's hard to tell how it will handle with only string holding it together!
This is my first sword hilt, so it's a bit of a learning curve, and how to apply the middle band has me a bit foxed at the mo.
The end bands were soldered and riveted before I hammered them on, but with the grip having a belly I can't do that in the middle.
Figured I might bind tha band on tight, then pin it with a silver nail, then planish the nail-head into the band, and bend the nail over inside the grip.
Do you think it'd work?..........How would you proceed?

Thanks Tim!

R.
Seeing as we are ressurecting threads( Very interesting ones too!) on Viking age grips, I thought I'd update you on the Gilling West sword I'm making a hilt for.

I'm just making this for fun, it's not my work. (Farmer really..)

It seems it's a couple of years since I was at this project, but a few days ago I got back at it!

The pics are work in progress, and now I have her all rivited together, and it just needs the final silver band below the peened tang.

The blade is one of Vladimir Cervenka's.

Here are the pics;

Attachment: 101.25 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 94.37 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 101.29 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 72.26 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 107.96 KB
[ Download ]
Here are the few pics, engraving finish'd, and tang riveted, and now needs only the silver band below tang button.

All best,
Richard.

Attachment: 71.44 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 109.83 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 86.49 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 86.19 KB
[ Download ]
Good work!

This is a beautiful sword.
Nice to see your work with it.
Peter,

Thank you,...pleased you like it.
If there's anything I should have done differently, just let me know, as I'm here to learn, and am still "Greenhorn stage #1"!

Best,
R.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: