Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Contest: Spearheading DonationsContest
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 20 Aug, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bjorn Hagstrom wrote:
I took the opportunity to upgrade myself to "Benefactor" to contribute a little more continously. If counting the time I spend here and the insights and information I get it is a real bargain!

Well said. Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 22 Aug, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just another " BUMP " and don't forget to look at the first post and the contest conditions on page 1 if you have not already seen it.

If you have seen the prize go have a look again and drool a bit onto your keyboard: It's a very " drool-worthy " spear. Wink

We are a bit over 50 donating members at this point + a few who have upgraded their membership, another 100 at an average $10 each would get us over the objective for this year and an increase in the number of people donating which is also a goal and not just the cash total.

With a donation you get a chance at the prize but also the knowledge that you have a share in the credit for this site's continued operation. Wink Big Grin Also a good way to thank Nathan for all the work he puts in as this site couldn't function without a lot of his efforts and his time and " money ". ( If the objective is met at least he won't have to pay part of the hosting fees from his own pocket or have to sell a part of his collection ...... O.K. a little guilting here. Wink Razz Big Grin Cool ).

Oh, gave my spear another light sharpening pass with a white/fine ceramic stone and the edges can now cut paper with scary ease. Eek! Big Grin .( Very very light sharpening that hasn't created any more than a hair wide secondary bevel. Big Grin ).

Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Tue 25 Aug, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok, it is time for my latest dumb question! I know it said if you start a new membership you are entered. What if your membership just renewed? Does that get you entered? No sweat if not, I was just wondering.

Scott

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 25 Aug, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
Ok, it is time for my latest dumb question! I know it said if you start a new membership you are entered. What if your membership just renewed? Does that get you entered? No sweat if not, I was just wondering.

Yep. They're entered, too. It says:

"Any members who have Purchased a Membership Plan on or after July 1, 2009 will also be automatically entered."

It doesn't mean just new memberships. It just means purchased plans made after July 1 -- new or renewed.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Tue 25 Aug, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan,
Thank you for the prompt response. I though that is what it was but I just wanted to confirm that it was. I know in the past that is you had a membership and then donated extra money above and beyond that it added to this total. I am guessing that if I add an odd amount that ends in a 5 it will end up equaling an even number then?

Scott

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
Nathan,
Thank you for the prompt response. I though that is what it was but I just wanted to confirm that it was. I know in the past that is you had a membership and then donated extra money above and beyond that it added to this total. I am guessing that if I add an odd amount that ends in a 5 it will end up equaling an even number then?

Scott

I don't know what you're asking...

Please read the rules of the contest. I think you're over-complicating things. It says that any donation over $10 or any membership enters your name in the hat.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Wed 26 Aug, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I probably am trying to over-complicate things Nathan. I am a complicated man though. Cool Thank you for taking the time to answer though.

I hope everything is going ok.

Scott

Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Aug, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd like to take this time to thank Nathan for getting this place off the ground and keeping the doors open. It's no small undertaking, financially and time wise, to keep a place like this going. I'm sure I don't have to tell any of the staff here that but I'd just like to extend my thanks for enriching my life by furthering the knowledge of a hobby that's a little more then a hobby to me. So with that said let's keep those donations coming. Even $10 helps, believe me. And hey, not only do you get to support a sight that's given us so much over the years, you get a chance to win a cool spear too. It's a win/win all around. An even better idea would be to upgrade your membership. It's easy and helps keep this place afloat. Let's all get together and help shoulder the weight of myArmoury. Alone it's a heavy load but together we can make it light.
Winter is coming
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 27 Aug, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Capanelli wrote:
Let's all get together and help shoulder the weight of myArmoury. Alone it's a heavy load but together we can make it light.

Well we are up to $2100 so only $600 to the objective. Wink Cool

Yeah, there is a tendency on the Internet to think of everything or most everything being free as a lot of services are at least superficially free of cost, but then one has to suffer with Pop Ups windows and other more or lest intrusive adds: The point being that a lot of Internet content is funded in some way, at least if there is a good business model. Razz Laughing Out Loud

The really " Free " stuff is like here where it's a work of Love and not primarily commerce.

The basic membership is free but if everyone just had a basic membership and there where no donors this place would eventually close down unless Nathan won a big lottery or was so rich he didn't need to work ! Well he does need to work but the work done for " myArmoury " is not what buys his groceries, so donations go a long way in at least taking care of the out of pocket costs of running this place including the hosting costs on a server and miscellaneous other costs.

So although one could say the site is nominally " free " it does cost money to run and as Mike put very well
Quote:
" Alone it's a heavy load but together we can make it light.
Wink Big Grin
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 30 Aug, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

At $2175 at of this writing so only $25 away from $2200.

After this we are into the last $500 to the objective or 50 people giving $10 each. Wink

So, another " BUMP ": Lets help keep this place running without Nathan having to pay any of the hosting costs out of his own pocket !

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 02 Sep, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Contest: Spearheading Donations         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Spearheading Donations for myArmoury.com!

myArmoury.com is in the midst of a member-initiated donation drive to help me with the cost of running this place. So far, the outcome has been pretty successful. There hasn't been a whole lot of donors, but I'm thankful for the help that has put into the pot already.

The money will be used to offset this year's server hosting costs (only one of my many expenses related to running this site). As of this year, the site now sits on a dedicated server. The performance of the site is no longer an issue, but with that benefit comes a higher cost. Your donations help offset that cost for me.

Just another " BUMP " and I'm quoting the first couple of paragraphs by Nathan explaining what the funds are needed for and for full information on the prize spear head one can win to back to the first post to read the whole thing. Wink

Some people look at what is new as a post but don't go back to the beginning to see what it is about: This post is for those who may only look at the site occasionally or just found the site and haven't been following the Topic. Obviously many have already seen or read about this Donation drive already but another Bump serves as a reminder to those who haven't yet donated. ( Although donations are totally up to you if you want to help keep this place running and if you can afford it ).

We are getting much closer to the objective but there is only about a week and a half to go. Wink

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Note we are over 75 donors at of this writing, the average donation is over $10 each and closer to $30 but some people have given at least $100.

Let try to get to at least 100 contributors and more would be nice as it is encouraging when more people contribute even if they can only afford $10.

Thanks again to all who have contributed so far ( a few more than once ) and all those who are considering it. Wink Big Grin

J Anstey

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm in! Well done Jean you really are a huge asset to this community.

Cheers

Jason
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J Anstey wrote:
I'm in! Well done Jean you really are a huge asset to this community.

Cheers

Jason

Thanks and good luck winning the Spear head. Big Grin ( Well to be fair I have to say good luck to everyone who has contributed. Wink )

The more I play with and look at mine the more I am convinced that this is the " BEST MADE " custom spear head I have seen and I hope people get in touch with Michael to order one or order something else as his swords, seax(s) and any other work I have seen from him looks first class and way " underpriced " for the moment !

Just taking advantage to give him a little more well deserved P.R. . Wink Big Grin

Oh, and we are $150 away from the Donation Objective. Cool

Jason Daub

Reading list: 78 books

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There we are, at the donation goal, (I really didn't need that much beer money anyway?)
'I saw young Harry, -with his bevor on,
His cuisses on his thighs, gallantly arm'd,-
Rise from the ground like feather'd Mercury,
And vaulted with such ease into his seat,
As if an angel dropp'd down from the clouds,
To turn and wind a fiery Pegasus,
And witch the world with noble horsemanship.'
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Daub wrote:
There we are, at the donation goal, (I really didn't need that much beer money anyway?)

Beer money. Eek! I forgot to ask for " BEER MONEY ", we would have gotten to the donation target much faster then. Wink
Razz Laughing Out Loud

Oh, no harm in going over the objective but at least the pressure or worry is off now. Wink

Mike Capanelli

PostPosted: Fri 04 Sep, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This might be a dumb question but did I miss the contest? I just donated some money. If I didn't they yay me. If I did then kudos to the winner and everyone else that helped keep this place ticking.
Winter is coming
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 04 Sep, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Capanelli wrote:
This might be a dumb question but did I miss the contest? I just donated some money. If I didn't they yay me. If I did then kudos to the winner and everyone else that helped keep this place ticking.

That would be " NO " you didn't miss the contest as I think it closes on the 14th of September 2009. Wink Cool

We did exceed the objective but the drive is still officially on !

If you want to be sure just go back to the first post by Nathan that explains the contest rules and what the prize is. Wink Razz

Always funny when people read the last post(s) of a Topic thread and don't know what is going on because they didn't read the first post. Eek!

Oh, and people sometimes wonder why Topics end up off-Topic. Wink Big Grin Cool

Mike: Thanks for bringing this up in your post as it does give me a chance to explain the above and maybe get some more people to be aware of the Donation drive and the prize. Cool

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 04 Sep, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Contest: Spearheading Donations         Reply with quote

For those who don't want to go to the first post here it is " quoted " below.

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Spearheading Donations for myArmoury.com!

myArmoury.com is in the midst of a member-initiated donation drive to help me with the cost of running this place. So far, the outcome has been pretty successful. There hasn't been a whole lot of donors, but I'm thankful for the help that has put into the pot already.

The money will be used to offset this year's server hosting costs (only one of my many expenses related to running this site). As of this year, the site now sits on a dedicated server. The performance of the site is no longer an issue, but with that benefit comes a higher cost. Your donations help offset that cost for me.

Prolific myArmoury.com member Jean Thibodeau spearheaded this year's donation drive and has put his money where his mouth is. He is personally sponsoring this contest to entice others to donate to the site. He's doing this out of the kindness of his heart and out of the cash in his pockets.

Jean has purchased a Custom Spearhead from Michael Pikula of Volund Forge that will be given away to one lucky winner!

Click for full-sized photographs

The overall length is 13 3/4" with a blade length of 9" and it weights 1 pound, 5 ounces.

The spearhead is really beautifully done. You can mount it onto a shaft or leave it in its custom-created wooden case for an equally fantastic presentation. Very nice!

Jean wants to encourage first-time donors so we're going to make the contest terms very simple.

HOW TO ENTER:
  1. Ensure you're a registered member of myArmoury.com

2. Members who have donated $10 US or more to our donation drive since July 1, 2009 are eligible for this drawing. If you've already donated or you donate before the contest closes, you'll be entered.

3. Any members who have Purchased a Membership Plan on or after July 1, 2009 will also be automatically entered.

That's it! You're done!

Entrants must be made prior to contest close on Monday Sep 14, 2009 at Midnight PST. All participants will be entered into a drawing and the winning name will be randomly selected later that same day.

Domestic shipping charges are included with the winning prize, but international winners will be required to pay for shipping.

Thanks goes out to everybody who has given to this site. Good luck to everyone!!

Contest-specific rules and limitations:

1. You must be a registered member of myArmoury.com. Donations must be made while logged-in
  2. myArmoury.com moderators and Team Members are eligible to win since they have been amongst the most generous with their donations
  3. Shipping charges are included for winners located in the continental US
  4. Should the winning entrant choose not to accept the prize, another winner will be selected
  5. Those who have donated anonymously will be given the opportunity to accept the prize but must agree to have a public announcement made regarding the contest win
  6. The contributed amounts will never be revealed to the public by myArmoury.com. Contest entrants can choose for themselves if they wish to share this with the community

Please read our detailed Rules and Limitations document for complete information and our disclaimer.

Wink
Mike Capanelli

PostPosted: Sat 05 Sep, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I read that first and COMPLETELY missed the end date. Thanks Jean.
Winter is coming

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Contest: Spearheading DonationsContest
Page 2 of 3
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: