Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Armour and modern materials Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Tue 25 Aug, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven H wrote:
I had no doubt that aluminum works well in the context of the SCA. I'm curiuos how it would hold up to a lance, halber, big sword etc.

Cheers,
Steven

I have been thinking about testing that since yesterday. I was not too kin about beating up my own armor (even though I shot my shield with a .22 short). Its just a matter of finding an abandoned street sign, hanging it up and going off on it with the desired weapon. Based on the amount of effort I had to put into cutting the aluminum in my armor with the B1 Beverly Sheers, I don't think a polearm is going to cut through it aluminum of that thickness. The amount of force the Beverly Sheers generate on their edge though the leverage of the 18 inch handle is far beyond what I think can be generated by swinging any weapon. You could probably put a hole in it with a back-spike due to force concentration. You can definitely but a deep dent in aluminum with a sword or axe, but that is not any different then mild steel or stainless steel. The rivets can be broken and any articulation can be interrupted with denting. If the aluminum has been through a lot of stress, it could crack if it was a hard aluminum to begin with. At a joint like the elbow or knee, you can get enough transfer force with a good shot to cause disabling pain with a polearm (or even a sword).

I am not sue how many people know what these shears look like. Here is a picture:

https://www.tinmantech.com/html/beverly_shear_b1.php

I anycase, I'm all for testing this out. My friend has plenty of aluminum scrap. I will take an axe to aluminum the next time I am by his place.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Armour and modern materials
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: