Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Armour and modern materials Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Maurizio D'Angelo

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 12 Aug, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ron Reuter wrote:

Maurizio,
Sounds like Lexan. I used to work with it, a long time ago. Really, tough stuff! Used in bullet proof glass.
Ron

Hi Ron,
The manufacturer is GE AIRCRAFT, U.S.A. section composites. Yes, you right. This material is anti-bullet. But, I am not sure, if the name is Lexan in English. It is also light, very expensive. My God that armor. Laughing Out Loud
Maurizio
Brandon Larson

PostPosted: Wed 12 Aug, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been lurking on this site for a while and learned a lot, but I think I can clear up a lot on this topic. I am an Army reservist with one tour in Iraq behind me and another in Afghanistan to look forward to. I also graduated from Naval Nuclear Power School a long time ago so I have some working knowledge of nucular physics.

Depleted uranium makes great armor, but it gives off neutron radiation. It would work if you covered it with about an inch of polypropylene or similar plastic, otherwise it would do Very Bad Stuff to the wearer. Dragonskin armor may give somewhat better protection than our current Interceptor IBA, but that's with almost twice the weight. It would be like wearing a 40 lb. cuirass. The back injuries that would result from widespread issue of that thing would take far more soldiers out of action than those saved by the better protection, and I wouldn't even want to guess how many more would be killed because of reduced mobility. Most of the scandal surrounding our body armor was generated by Pinnacle's marketing department, and after reading their own testing information I would choose the standard issue IBA.

The latest thing is transparent alumina, just like what Scotty was babbling about. Most ceramic armor has alumina as it's main ingredient, and somebody recently figured out how to make a transparent glass from alumina that is far stronger than any current ballistic glass including Lexan. Right now it's obscenely expensive and only in the testing phase until somebody works out how to manufacture it economically.

If I wanted to make medieval armor from modern materials I would think something along the lines of a Kevlar gambeson with a breast and back plates of some kind of modern alloy steel. Kevlar isn't as strong as Spectra, but it is a lot cheaper and more widely available. Beyond that, it's just up to your imagination.
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Wed 12 Aug, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maurizio D'Angelo wrote:
hi all,
I do not know the English term, but there is a plastic product and patented by an American industry. This is used for the windows of military aircraft. It is transparent, flexible, hard impacts, with a better resistance of steels. Cool
But I would not ever see a medieval armor made with this material. Eek! Razz

Ciao
Maurizio

Lexan if I recall. It would be kind of weird having see-through armor though. ;-)
Matthew Fedele

PostPosted: Wed 12 Aug, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was chatting with some California Sheriffs once while wearing my plate and they mentioned that their kevlar vests weren't blade proof. That was kind of a shocker to me.

Cheers!
Matt
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 12 Aug, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brandon Larson wrote:

Depleted uranium makes great armor, but it gives off neutron radiation. It would work if you covered it with about an inch of polypropylene or similar plastic, otherwise it would do Very Bad Stuff to the wearer.

Thanks for the very good post and welcome to the site and a first post. Big Grin Cool

Yeah, the depleted Uranium I mentioned mostly in jest but it would be interesting to know how a plate of it of equivalent thickness to a steel breastplate would compare mechanically as far as resistance to period missiles like crossbow bolts or even heavy musket balls i.e. musket proof or not at reasonable thickness.

Oh, discounting that pesky residual radiation thing. Wink Cool

For period use kevlar backed up with welded stainless very fine maille and thin but heat treated steel plate ( Stainless or plated. Some sort of effective heat dissipation system under the kevlar being useful for comfort and endurance by avoiding overheating which is a worse problem wearing plate than the weight.

To minimize awkward questions of " sorcery " the armour should at least be made to look period in style, again assuming the old time machine thing. Wink Razz Cool

( Oh, good luck and be safe out there in Afghanistan ! The biggest danger seems to come from IEDs because when the Taliban tries to have a stand up fight they don't do so well ! Very few Canadian casualties in firefight, if any, but almost all are from IEDs ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jonathan Atkin

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Wed 12 Aug, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I pray for the day when we have ''iron man'' suits running around in WMA and SCA the hijinx that would ensue, hey man those afgan hills are a killer work on your cardio!

Edited to add: The new interceptor increases both mobility and protection it uses a very adv. ceramic plate thats half the weight of standard plates and is better designed for the infantry private running from his corpral on the go

"If I must choose between righteousness and peace, I choose righteousness''. - Theodore Roosevelt
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 23 Aug, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Isn't depleted uranium a) much denser than steel (and therefore heavier for the same volume/thickness), b) rather brittle (which is why it makes a self-sharpening penetrator for antitank rounds), and c) flammable (though perhaps not at the level of heat generated by the impact of medieval weapons). These properties makes it ideal for high-velocity antiarmor projectiles and--to some degree--vehicle armor, but would make it quite awkward as a material for personal armor.
Timo Nieminen

PostPosted: Sun 23 Aug, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
Isn't depleted uranium a) much denser than steel (and therefore heavier for the same volume/thickness), b) rather brittle (which is why it makes a self-sharpening penetrator for antitank rounds), and c) flammable (though perhaps not at the level of heat generated by the impact of medieval weapons). These properties makes it ideal for high-velocity antiarmor projectiles and--to some degree--vehicle armor, but would make it quite awkward as a material for personal armor.

Much denser, over 2.5 times denser. It sees use in kinetic energy penetrators because it's very dense and very hard, and use in armour because it's very hard. Tungsten is very similar in both hardness and density, but depleted uranium was (a) cheaper, (b) cost money to store if it wasn't used for something, and (c) is easy to machine and work, so DU was used in preference to tungsten. Tungsten gets much better PR, despite being about equally toxic.

Very impressively hard (if the Rockwell C scale went that far, it'd be about 200 or so). But one could probably get better value from glass or ceramic (thin layer, with suitable backing) for personal armour.
Adam O'Byrne

PostPosted: Sun 23 Aug, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've wanted to experiment with new materials for heavy armor for some time, I understand that having regular infantry carrying something akin to full plate nowadays would be ridiculous - my idea would be to instead equip small response units with heavy armor, these people would be driven right to the fight and only be sent to attack areas that would give regular infantry problems - entering fortified buildings ext. Load them up to bear with the heaviest full body armor and close combat weapons and let them wade into the thick of it. If one were able to make modern armor with full coverage that could keep its user safe even with the nastiest weapons being thrown at it you would have yourself a modern knight - it would be quite a fearsome sight =)
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Sun 23 Aug, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timo Nieminen wrote:
... Tungsten gets much better PR, despite being about equally toxic.

Tungsten is toxic?
Jewelry made from tungsten has been seeing a bit of a rise in popularity recently, is it somehow "stabalised" , or are folks (myself included as it happens) wandering around with poisonous wedding rings?
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 23 Aug, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nat Lamb wrote:
Timo Nieminen wrote:

Tungsten is toxic?
Jewelry made from tungsten has been seeing a bit of a rise in popularity recently, is it somehow "stabalised" , or are folks (myself included as it happens) wandering around with poisonous wedding rings?

Might be if vaporized or in the form of fine dust as opposed to a solid bit of jewellery. ( Assuming that one isn't allergic to it ? )

A lot of things are toxic when in small breathable particles or as a gas: Some tropical hardwood are very toxic if one is sanding them without a respirator ..... at the very least causing a serious rash if the dust ends up on one's sweaty skin.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Timo Nieminen

PostPosted: Sun 23 Aug, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Nat Lamb wrote:
Timo Nieminen wrote:

Tungsten is toxic?

Might be if vaporized or in the form of fine dust as opposed to a solid bit of jewellery. ( Assuming that one isn't allergic to it ? )

Pretty much. Toxicity isn't a problem if it's in a solid lump, only if it gets into your body. It's the same with uranium, with the added problem that it's (a little bit) radioactive - dust in your lungs has effects beyond just its toxicity (still, heavy metal poisoning is the bigger problem from exposure, for depleted uranium).

The problem is that long-rod penetrators tend to turn into fine dust coating the inside of the target. Hardened steel penetrators are the environmentally-friendly alternative, but lack performance in comparison.

I bought a tungsten ring myself recently, though gold-plated. Given the squishiness of 24k gold jewelry, hardness has its advantages.
JG Elmslie
Industry Professional

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 23 Aug, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

not for any practical purposes... but I'd love to see a 15th C gothic harness done in carbon fibre, with the weave visible.

I think it'd look spectacular with brass/latten trim.
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Sun 23 Aug, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My favorite material for armor and shields is aluminum. Easily workable with a hammer and anvil, yet ridge enough to run a car over. Very light, very strong, fairly cheap and does not rust. It come is different grades. At the low end you have have street sign aluminum. Its really not bad at all for armor. Not too good for shields cause they will bend at the corners and crack where you bolt the straps. My shield is 5052 H38 aluminum (this is good stuff). Weighs 9 lbs strapped. Another choice is 7075 T6 Aluminum. T6 is very much loved as very good aluminum. Aluminum can be polished to a brush or mirror finish.

I would not use aluminum for a helmet. Too light. The mass is a big component of the protection as it absorbs impact. You don't want your head being knocked around too much. My choice for helmets is stainless steel. Some armorers give a life time warranty of on stainless steel helmets.

I saw a pair of titanium elbows at Pennsic. Light as paper. I would love to try them out but at $300 a pair... I'll stick to aluminum at $35 a pair. We are talking about a difference of half pound for aluminum elbows vs perhaps one quarter of a pound for titanium. I really can not feel the weight of the half pound aluminum on my elbow anyway so its not worth paying all that extra money. Stainless steel elbows (1 lb) by comparison are about twice as heavy as aluminum. That is still light. Mild steel in 16 gage is twice as heavy as the stainless. I fought in that for two years in mild steel and that is a weight you will feel in your arm a lot if you use any high guard. It does slow you down. With mild steel you are talking about 2lbs for the elbow+ 3 lbs for the sword+ 1 lb for a vambrace + 1 lb for a portion of any shoulder armor that comes down your arm. So 2+3+1+1 = 7 lbs on your arm. With mild if you want it light, you have to go with a light 20 gage and temper it for strength. Tempering means more money. The thinness means it will rust through sooner rather then later. Too temporary to be worth the trouble for me.

Using the lighter modern materials is not really cheating because in period I would have gone with the lighter gage steel, had it tempered and changed it out every year... or six months if necessary. The modern materials just extend the life of the armor. I don't want to have to buy new armor every few months.

Plastic works good too if it is cut and shaped like real armor. I like the shiny stuff though. Aluminum still comes in a tad bit lighter then plastic of the same strength. The plastic tends to be a little thicker and bulkier to maintain the same strength / protection qualities.

There is nothing wrong with getting period made armor either (thin and tempered). Its just too nice and expensive to use in practice 2 or 3 times a week and have it beat up. I would save that for special ceremonies and events.

Just for fun... how about a armor made out of Depleted Uranium. Super hard, very heavy, very expensive and radioactive Happy

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com

Last edited by Bill Tsafa on Mon 24 Aug, 2009 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Joel Minturn

PostPosted: Mon 24 Aug, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Fedele wrote:
I was chatting with some California Sheriffs once while wearing my plate and they mentioned that their kevlar vests weren't blade proof. That was kind of a shocker to me.

Cheers!
Matt

I have heard stories of soldiers accidentally being stabbed to death showing off how strong there kevlar vests are and then finding out they really aren't stab proof.

About tungsten. I second that the toxicity would be from the fine powders and particulates that are being breathed in. And that the big lump that is jewelry is safe, Except for maybe as a choking hazard but that is not related to the metal.
J. Abernethy

PostPosted: Mon 24 Aug, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ive heard of a new impact resistant armour that has a thin liquid layer, or impregnated kevlar. The idea being similar to corn starch and water when struck.
Steven H

PostPosted: Mon 24 Aug, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vassilis-

I'm not aware of any modern armour being made with (much) aluminum. Which leads me to the question of why not? Does it fare poorly against some kinds of attacks. Would it do as well as steel against halberds and lances? I have no idea.

Or is it used more than I realize Wink

Cheers,
Steven

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study
Joel Minturn

PostPosted: Mon 24 Aug, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven H wrote:
Vassilis-

I'm not aware of any modern armour being made with (much) aluminum. Which leads me to the question of why not? Does it fare poorly against some kinds of attacks. Would it do as well as steel against halberds and lances? I have no idea.

Cheers,
Steven

The only modern armour using aluminum is the M113. It worked alright. The major drawbacks are that aluminum burns, if the M113 catches fire the entire thing can burn up rapidly, and the aluminum vapors/dust can be hazardous to the solders inside. So its a fine vehicle to protect people from small arms but isn't as good at stopping larger rounds.

As for personal protection. I would think that the armour would have to be rather thick to provide real protection. Sure it works great for SCA and practice type stuff but not sure it would last as well as steel. And Aluminum doesn't take being fixed and hammered back in shape as steel.
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Mon 24 Aug, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven H wrote:
Vassilis-

Cheers,
Steven

There is a quit a bit of aluminum in the SCA. All the shiny stuff you see on me in the picture is aluminum. Mild and stainless are still the most common in the SCA.

More often then not, it is covered up. The belt you see in the picture has aluminum on the inside.

Unless you walk up to someone and take a real close look at he armor, you can not tell what metal they have in their armor.

There are pros an cons for using aluminum and their is much difference in types of aluminum. The aluminum in the kidney belt is very hard stuff. So hard that, I have stopped using it because I can't feel the shots when hit there sometimes. I now just uses a 14 oz leather belt of the same shape. The leather holding the aluminum plate together is about 4 oz. I made that belt myself out of a street sign. I cut it with beverly shears. Deburred it, riveted it to the leather and added some straps. Easy stuff. I have an armorer about 2 hours from me and have access to his tools.

The aluminum in my vambraces (forearm), is made from a lighter more flexible aluminum. I have had it beat out of shape a few times and then reshaped it with a mallet over an anvil. The forearms tends to give more when hit so the armor does not need to be very thick or hard. On the forearm I like to go as light as possible for maximum speed. Everything you see on the gambeson is free floating. The peices are tied to the gambeson, not to each other.

The legs are also aluminum. I bought the knees and made everthing else myself. The cuisse (thigh) armor is really hard stuff. The leg is usually fixed to the ground when hit so it absorbs the full impact of the blow. People can also hit harder striking down ward as they follow up with their body weight, so legs get dented no matter what. I put the legs through a roller with a handcrank to give them their curve.

My shoulder are made out of hard aluminum too. They have taken quite a beating and are starting to show it with minor dents. I think they are too hard to reshape and I will have to retire them in about a year. Not a big deal, I already bought a replacement for $50 from Bokalo.

There is only a handful of armorers I know who work with aluminum. There are slightly different rules when working with aluminum. In shaping it you have to know how far to push it with the hammer. Push it too far and it cracks. An armorer only use to working with mild steel may find that he is cracking piece after piece. The other thing with aluminum is that it does not hold its polish for long with frequent use. If you want that mirror finish, you will have to gain access to a polishing wheel every few months. Bokalo is a good place to get partially finished aluminum and stainless armor. You then by leather and make your own straps.

As far as how well aluminum hold up against steel weapons... hmmm... sounds like a project worth videoing. I should have videoed shooting my aluminum shield with a .22 short Happy

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Steven H

PostPosted: Tue 25 Aug, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had no doubt that aluminum works well in the context of the SCA. I'm curiuos how it would hold up to a lance, halber, big sword etc.

Cheers,
Steven

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Armour and modern materials
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: