Good source for clothing info
Hello all
Ill get right to my point.First of all i am the classic newby i just went to my 1st faire and i am interested in getting a accurate outfit together.I am seeing some cool, stuff online but what i need is a very detailed source with a lot of pics for period clothing.What i am finding is very broad in range.I want to narrow the focus as follows.I need to get details on nationality or kingdom, wealth status also weapons for example i know a peasant foot soldier wouldnt have a sword i dont think ,am i right?
Sorry this is rambling i know.Please forgive me its been a long day.Best case scenario is a good web site thats goes into detail about what is correct as far as clothes and armor and weapons.photos are important to me as i am just learning the vocabulary on what the clothing is called..
Thanks in advance
scott in VA
Hi!
You might be interested in purchasing 'Medieval Military Costume' by Gerry Embleton. This is a very good 'beginner' book with lots of photographs showing reconstructions of clothing on living people, quite a few drawings of various details, a lot of descriptions and references. I guess this would help you maku up your mind about the whole thing and also show you a good model of the quality one should, in my opinion, aim for.
Re: Good source for clothing info
S Abare wrote:
Hello all
Ill get right to my point.First of all i am the classic newby i just went to my 1st faire and i am interested in getting a accurate outfit together.I am seeing some cool, stuff online but what i need is a very detailed source with a lot of pics for period clothing.What i am finding is very broad in range.I want to narrow the focus as follows.I need to get details on nationality or kingdom, wealth status also weapons for example i know a peasant foot soldier wouldnt have a sword i dont think ,am i right?

Scott, honestly this is probably too wide a scope to really give an answer to.

Do you have any particular field of interest, to narrow this down? nationality? vague period? even a film that you like the looks of.

Cheers
Nathan
late middle ages correct clothing
Ill try to be more specific in my aims.I am interested in a character for renaissance faire.i want to stick to a nationality that i have ancestors this is scottish/irish and german and french.i am a army vet myself with a lifelong interest in military history so i would want a military character. the time period i would like would be 1066-1300/1350 or so, basically late middle ages.I am very drawn to the scottish but i hate the idea of wearing a kilt is there any good options for the scotts that isnt a kilt?Frankly i have never been a big fan of the french except the joan of arc episode.Germans i may be interested in but i have little knowledge of them in the middle ages and the Germans seem like a huge catagory. Id kinda like to keep with the scotch Irish if possible.And id like to keep to a middle class or lower i think a starter that starts out as royalty is silly.I am open to most weapon possibilties but im kinda drawn to the axe and shield combo maybe even the bow?
This is still a pretty wide coverage of cultures and timeframe. You will want to focus on a particular region, culture, and time frame of around 20 years (as much could change in this time). I would recommend going though some of the Ospery books and getting a basic overview of your different focal points, then doing some more looking into periods you may be interested in. These little books, though only offering general information, can be bought for fairly inexpensively and will help you get more idea of where you are going with your ideas.

Here is a link for you: http://www.ospreypublishing.com/medieval_world/

Somethings will not be culture specific, such as period footware and a maille hauberk. You should get these things first, then concentrate on your specific character.

Good luck in your search!
Re: late middle ages correct clothing
S Abare wrote:
Ill try to be more specific in my aims.I am interested in a character for renaissance faire.i want to stick to a nationality that i have ancestors this is scottish/irish and german and french.i am a army vet myself with a lifelong interest in military history so i would want a military character. the time period i would like would be 1066-1300/1350 or so, basically late middle ages.I am very drawn to the scottish but i hate the idea of wearing a kilt is there any good options for the scotts that isnt a kilt?Frankly i have never been a big fan of the french except the joan of arc episode.Germans i may be interested in but i have little knowledge of them in the middle ages and the Germans seem like a huge catagory. Id kinda like to keep with the scotch Irish if possible.And id like to keep to a middle class or lower i think a starter that starts out as royalty is silly.I am open to most weapon possibilties but im kinda drawn to the axe and shield combo maybe even the bow?

ok then for 1066-1200 i'd suggest you take a look at Regia Anglorum's web site www.regia.org and worth looking at conquest's site as well for the whole period www.angevin.org. There is also a good sub-forum on the armour archive, http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=14 that deals with 'persona' related questions that might help you get some ideas.

A really good period source might be the pierpoint morgan bible (also known as the Maciejoweski bible) http://www.medievaltymes.com/courtyard/maciejowski_bible.htm this is from around 1250 so in the middle of the range you mention.

Good news is no kilts (they didn't exist then). Reality is that clothing around most of northern Europe would have been fairly similar throughout. There are changes over time (1066 and 1350 would be quite different) but clothing is broadly similar from place to place (or we don't have enough evidence to pick out the real difference).

Axe, Shield and Bow are all good weapons for the period. Spears would have been very (most) common. Shield shape will change as the period goes on (as will the ranges of shields available) so that's something you will need to narrow down.

Textile wise you should be looking at wool for outer layers and linen for under layers. If you are looking to make it yourself I can point you to detailed construction notes for slightly earlier stuff that would form a reasonable basis for later period material. If you simply want to buy it then you either need to find somebody to make it to your specification or accept a level of obvious inaccuracy in construction (machine sewn hems for example).

HTH
N.
Thank you
Thank yall very much for your good reply's Im gonna get on this this weekend and try to make some headway.Believe it or not i am usually the history expert in the room it feels abit odd to be this badly outclassed on the subject.i would like to be near some of you folks and id pick your brain clean :D Thanks again
There's a lot of information online for German military:
http://www.st-max.org/clothes-edu.htm
and
http://www.landsknecht.org/
Re: Thank you
S Abare wrote:
Thank yall very much for your good reply's Im gonna get on this this weekend and try to make some headway.Believe it or not i am usually the history expert in the room it feels abit odd to be this badly outclassed on the subject.i would like to be near some of you folks and id pick your brain clean :D Thanks again

Same. I'm outclassed all over here, and I'm -studying- a history major :p

A good source of clothing is Historic Enterprises, once you've got some research down. Their selection isn't HUGE, but it's reasonably good.

M.
Anglo saxon
I have just about settled on a Anglo Saxon character.Thank you M. Eversberg II on the tip about historic enterprizes because that is the best Anglo saxon stuff i have seen yet they are who i will probably go with for my basics to get started with.I have a stupid question so beware. I searched for anglo saxon character reenacters and found a ton of pics with a search for the battle of hasting reenactment. some of the A. saxon characters had full length pants and some had the leg wrappings( sorry forgot the name for them). I was wondering are the A. saxon pants with leg wrapping over the bottom of the pants or is the A. saxon pants short with the wrappings over bare legs. can someone comment on the correctness of the full length pants verses the leg wrappings?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: