Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Keeping " myArmoury " solvent ! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Robin Palmer

PostPosted: Fri 07 Aug, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi jean.
I hear you loud and clear I have small problem I live in england and paypal is a real pain over here. I would agree with the post from irland please set up some place we can leave cheques and I will send one off post haste. Unfortunatly the british banking system is in many respects in the stone age where dealing with foriegn banking is concerned. I have enjoyed the benifits of belonging to this site and have tried to send funds several times only to fall flat due to our banking systems inability to understand what I want to do.

Yours Bob.

PS spell checker not working.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 07 Aug, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Palmer wrote:
Hi jean.
I hear you loud and clear I have small problem I live in england and paypal is a real pain over here. I would agree with the post from irland please set up some place we can leave cheques and I will send one off post haste. Unfortunatly the british banking system is in many respects in the stone age where dealing with foriegn banking is concerned. I have enjoyed the benifits of belonging to this site and have tried to send funds several times only to fall flat due to our banking systems inability to understand what I want to do.

Yours Bob.

PS spell checker not working.

Well your situation does seem to make sending a donation rather difficult and you might P.M. Nathan about how you might be able to send him a donation.

I can't really answer anything personally about other payment options that would work for Nathan as I'm not involved at all with administration of the site and if I give suggestion(s) I could be giving erroneous advice. Worried

But I do want to thank you anyway as I appreciate the intention even if the " workaround " seems problematic. Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 09 Aug, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Almost up to $1000 at $943 as I type and 1/3 of the way to the objective. Cool

Thanks, to everyone who has already contributed and thanks again to those who want to contribute but are not in a comfortable financial situation to do it right now.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 10 Aug, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Over $1000 at the time of writing and a "Bump ". ( Trying to avoid too frequent " Bumping " but getting over $1000 is like breaking through a resistance point in the Stock Market. Wink : Thanks again ! ).
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 12 Aug, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well another " BUMP ".

Looking at site statistics there are close to 20,000 registered members now I'm guessing that this reflex the total number of people who have registered to have access to the site and have more access to special features like looking at larger versions of article pics. I also assume that there are a lot of people who " lurk " and haven't bothered to actually register but I consider these people as part of this place if they enjoy what they can learn here and add to their knowledge, and even more if they often come back to see what is new in content or discussion.

Now, a lot of these " lurkers " ( Not meant in any negative way as I lurked myself for at least 6 months here before I joined in and I lurk at many other site where I haven't bothered registering ) could also join as upgraded members and contribute this way. ( NOTE: Also welcome to join for the free membership, this place isn't primarily about making money but a " FUND DRIVE " obviously has to try to get contributions. Wink Big Grin ).

Anyway, 1% of the 20,000 registered membership is just 200 people ! An average contribution of $25 by 200 people would add up to $5000 and close to twice the objective for this Fund Drive.

So we don't need a very large number of contributors proportionally to the number of " officially " registered members !

Realistically most organizations have only 2% to 5 % who are very active as volunteers giving their time or money so there are I estimate ( Figures out of thin air. Wink ) between 400 to 1000 members who are frequent enough readers of this site to be considered " potential " donors with enough of a stake in this place to at least consider making a donation.

Year to year the actual donors are closer to 40 to 100 and a handful of them responsible for about half of the donations.

Now, without sounding " preachy ", my focus this year is to try to get people who have never contributed to contribute small donations but in larger numbers than previous years: This does two things 1) It spreads the heavy lifting over a larger contributing pool making it easier for everybody to meet the objective without having to contribute large amounts during a difficult economic time. 2) Wider contribution also means that more people show their appreciation for the learning and enjoyment they get coming here, and this is certainly motivational to the very " SMALL " team that keep this place going which is mostly " JUST " Nathan putting in " HUGE " amounts of his free time doing all the coding/programming, keeping spam and " BOTS " from contaminating the site and other " Tech. Stuff " ! In addition there is only a small team of volunteer " Moderators " helping with the Forums and getting articles/reviews/pics.

( NOTE: Disclaimer, numbers and statistics are just guesswork on my part and Nathan may have to correct any errors of fact in the above, so don't take the above as more than musings, opinion and best guesses. Wink Big Grin ).

Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 12 Aug, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would love to donate here, this site is a huge value and I would hate to see it die, but being a student and having no income and no credit card makes it too difficult... Sad
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 12 Aug, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
I would love to donate here, this site is a huge value and I would hate to see it die, but being a student and having no income and no credit card makes it too difficult... Sad

No problem the thought is appreciated in any case. Big Grin Cool

" this site is a huge value " : Exactly why I want to keep it going and encouraging donations but No arm twisting or guilting involved. Those who can donate I encourage them to do so. Big Grin Cool

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 14 Aug, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, the regular " BUMP " and although I want to encourage small but numerous donations that doesn't mean that a few " large " donation are not welcome also especially from those who almost live here on the site. ( Again if their financial position permits it ).

Oh and if some really " rich person " wants to give a huge amount I guess that would also be O.K. Wink Laughing Out Loud Cool

Anyone who wouldn't know what to do with themselves if they didn't have this site to go to every day i.e. a serious dependancy/addiction to " myArmoury " should find it in their best interest to keep the site in good financial health. Razz Big Grin

So how many of you share my MAD syndrome. ( Another of these acronym mental health issues needing some " BIG PHARMA " to invent a pill for to overcharge the public ).

M: My
A: Armoury
D: dependance
Syndrome

" Yes, I'm MAD and I donate to " myArmoury " ( Every donation campaign needs a silly/fun " call to battle " slogan. Razz Laughing Out Loud ).

( MAD/Happily insane not MAD/angry ).

Darryl Aoki

PostPosted: Fri 14 Aug, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Something about this reminds me of NPR pledge drives, in the best of ways. Amusingly, that perspective's influencing me more toward the "donate" side of the question.
Barry C. Hutchins

PostPosted: Fri 14 Aug, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Premier is less than a dollar a week (USD), well worth the time and effort to support this site.

And the upgraded membership cost is still less than a case of Guinness Extra Stout..

Seriously, in the short time I have been on this site, I have found volumes of useful information related to collecting, refurbishing, and creation of arms and armour; certainly worth even the minimal investment.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 16 Aug, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Barry C. Hutchins wrote:
Premier is less than a dollar a week (USD), well worth the time and effort to support this site.

And the upgraded membership cost is still less than a case of Guinness Extra Stout..

Seriously, in the short time I have been on this site, I have found volumes of useful information related to collecting, refurbishing, and creation of arms and armour; certainly worth even the minimal investment.

Thanks for the nice words and having people express what they enjoy and appreciate about this site is very useful to this Fund drive thread as it can't all be " ME " trying to motivate people to donate. Wink Big Grin Cool

After all the donations are not just to be " nice ", and this place isn't a " charity ": We are not trying to cure cancer or anything,
but the donations are to keep a valuable and enjoyable resource going for the people who get a lot out of it. Wink Big Grin ( That would be " ME " and lot of other people who frequent the site often and " NEW " people who discover the site while doing a search for historical material and then come back because there is so much here to find. Cool .

So anyway, another " BUMP ". Wink

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 17 Aug, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Think about giving $10 and a chance of winning a really high end custom spear head but also think about how small this amount is if one saves a dollar a day by having a slightly cheaper meal or skipping one coffee and putting that dollar in an envelope ..... after 10 days, Paypall a donation and pay yourself back from the envelope. Wink Big Grin

Not really something one will feels much in the pocketbook unless one's situation is really very grim ! At that point, don't worry about any donation(s) since you are in survival mode and the $10 bucks means one less lunch for the kids !

Again, it doesn't take very large donations if a lot of you make a $10 donation and if you frequent the site almost daily you are getting as much out of being here as your much more expensive cable or cell phone monthly bill or a movie DVD rental and even less than a Movie + overpriced stale popcorn. Wink Razz Big Grin

Also, if you like the place giving a little is like putting a bit of gas in the tank to be able to take a trip you are going to enjoy instead of running out of gas and not having any fun walking back home. ( Or in this case NOT having a site you like still being there ........ eventually ! No immediate danger of this happening that I know of, but long term, as in years, I don't think that Nathan should be paying all the bills out of pocket or have to sell parts of his collection, as he has done before, to pay the bills ....... There, I did it used " Fear & guilt " Razz ..... Joking but only " half joking. Wink ).

Luke Zechman

PostPosted: Mon 17 Aug, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This site has been an valuable recourse to me. About a year ago I decided that I was really going to follow my dream to one day be producing weapons mainly as a hobby. I have been collecting tool and materials for quite some time now. This site has helps me make steps toward that dream. myArmoury and the people here have inspired me to do, and not just to think about doing. It has given me the confidence and knowledge, and for that I am grateful.
At this point in my life i don't have a lot of money to give. I do believe that giving what is economically reasonable for me is very important. Yes it would be nice to win a beautiful spearhead, but it is even more important to keep this community going together. Thanks again to everyone that has helped me, and be sure that I will be around pestering you all with questions for a good time to come. Razz

Luke
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 18 Aug, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Le " BUMP ". Wink

Oh, well a bit over half way to the target. Big Grin Cool

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 19 Aug, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Up to $1565 as I write this, another $35 to a nice round number of $1600.

At $1800 we will be 2/3 of the way to the objective.

Note: I assume that almost everyone reading this Topic has also seen the " Official " Fundraising Topic and the prize of a Michael Pikula spearhead for donations. ( Conditions of the contest on that Topic thread ).

Here is the link to that one just in case people not reading the entire Topic thread or the other entire Topic thread:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=17330

" myArmoury " is like a friend giving a friend a lift every day to share an activity enjoyed by both like going to play golf or tennis or to the same gym: At the end of the year shouldn't one offer to share the cost of gas for the car if one can afford it. Wink

Now this " myArmoury CAR " has thousands of friends getting a lift, so the cost to each can be very low if a good bunch of us contribute and the objective is easily achieved by numerous but small and not too painful contributions.
Wink Big Grin

Nick Larking

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Wed 19 Aug, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well i have been lurking for a while and registrered just recently so im gonna help by upgrading my account. I should still have some money on my paypal.
And if not ill just rob a bank Wink

I never thought it would cost this much to run a forum i was always thinking it would cost maybe like 200 a year instead of 3000.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 19 Aug, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nick Larking wrote:
I never thought it would cost this much to run a forum i was always thinking it would cost maybe like 200 a year instead of 3000.

If we got less traffic and/or had less bandwidth-intensive nifty extra features, it might indeed cost less. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jason Daub

Reading list: 78 books

PostPosted: Thu 20 Aug, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Two thirds of the way there, and a wee bit. I do so like the nifty extra features.
'I saw young Harry, -with his bevor on,
His cuisses on his thighs, gallantly arm'd,-
Rise from the ground like feather'd Mercury,
And vaulted with such ease into his seat,
As if an angel dropp'd down from the clouds,
To turn and wind a fiery Pegasus,
And witch the world with noble horsemanship.'
Carl W.

PostPosted: Sat 22 Aug, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Note especially to first time donors (like me)... think of part of your donation as buying a raffle ticket on a great spear-head. That thought helped me finally jump over the fence. ps - click process was easy.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=17330

Normally I'm quiet & not much of a cheerleader, but this is a great site, plus Jean deserves support & thanks for his generous prize gift!
Daniel Sullivan

PostPosted: Sat 22 Aug, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Keeping "myArmoury" solvent         Reply with quote

Wish to thank Jean for beating the drum and calling us to muster. Our local Public Television people could certainly use someone like him..

As mentioned in another post, it is like buying a raffle ticket. On the other hand, If Jean is annoying you, ante up with a few bucks and he will go away....well......at least until the next time!

Regards,
Dan

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Keeping " myArmoury " solvent !
Page 3 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: