myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Keeping " myArmoury " solvent ! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 04 Aug, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll give a +1 to Greysons comments. While I don't spend a lot of time on the internet anymore I do appreciate its value. Some of us remember first getting together on something called the Highlander Sword Shoppers Guide, that would later become Sword Forum. (hard to believe that's been over ten years) I personally was recovering from a severe injury that put me on the professional sidelines for four or five months and it was great to have the ability to converse with other people of like mind while being relatively inactive. When we created myArmoury as an interactive website it gave me a big creative outlet, something I was in dire need of at the time and I'm very happy to see it still around as a good resource.

The real benefit of this website isn't the fact that it gave me the opportunity to play with a lot of cool stuff, but rather the people I met along the way: makers like Peter Johnsson, Vince Evans and the folks at Albion and Arms & Armor, as well as people like Nathan, Nate Bell, Aaron Schnatterly, Greyson himself and a host of other people who have enriched my journey as a sword enthusiast. We're all very different people but found a common ground in our hobby and myArmoury served as a direct conduit for that. The interest in things medieval also attached me to my wife of twentyfive years as well as my best friend, Greg Griggs. While the later two didn't happen because of myArmoury I wouldn't have met the rest if I hadn't been involved here.

Kudos to the staff and may myArmoury still be thriving years from now.
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Tue 04 Aug, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another way that this site is great as that it lets me go back and double check myself. Vincent was kind enough to point out that I gave him credit for something he did not do. I should have double checked my saved PM's before posting, as it was actually Jean Le-Palud who helped me get the document that I mentioned. Jean: I was not trying to deny you the credit you deserve. I'm sorry. Vincent: thank you again for catching my mistake.

-Grey

P.S. The event occurred several years ago, so I am going to use weak memory as an excuse! Razz

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Maurizio D'Angelo

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 04 Aug, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:

P.S. The event occurred several years ago, so I am going to use weak memory as an excuse! Razz

Well, Mr. Greyson Brown, donates $ 10,000 and you will be forgiven by all of us. I say to laugh a little bit. Cool Wink

I believe this site I discovered a passion that I did not think to have.
I met fantastic people, friends, very prepared, I learned a lot from them, they deserve my thanks. I realized that much needs to be done, my knowledge is just born. I plan to up-grade my status, a premier member.

I rethought: I think that up-grade my status to admin ... I say to laugh Happy Razz
Thanks to all
Ciao.
Maurizio
Maurizio D'Angelo

PostPosted: Tue 04 Aug, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

It's a pain in the butt,

great difficulties in the translation in Italian.
Blush
Maurizio
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 04 Aug, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maurizio D'Angelo wrote:
Chad Arnow wrote:

It's a pain in the butt,

great difficulties in the translation in Italian.
Blush
Maurizio

A pain in the butt means that it is a nuisance, is a burden and something that must be taken care of but that one would prefer to avoid.

An unavoidable duty but no fun at all. Wink Big Grin ( Oh, " BUTT " in this context means the rear end, " derrière " in French as in the pain in the part one sits on! In other contexts the butt tcan be the bottom or end of something like the butt of a spear ).

I am guessing that a translation program from Italian to English or English to Italian has difficulty with " expressions " compared to normal descriptive language and that one gets strange results at times. ( I'm assuming that you may be supplementing your knowledge of English by using a translation program ? ).

Well, we do get what you are trying to say most of the time but at times there is a bit of guessing involved. Big Grin

Oh, and thanks for upgrading your membership, but " King " is already taken by Nathan Laughing Out Loud Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Maurizio D'Angelo

PostPosted: Tue 04 Aug, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Jean
My English is just school. Help me with a translator.
In a p.m. a kind friend told me the meaning.
The slang with the translators sometimes give strange results.
I do not say what it means in Italian, but it is really strange. Eek! Cool Laughing Out Loud
For Nathan, i joking of course. Wink
Maurizio
R D Moore

Reading list: 11 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 05 Aug, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

One work around the Paypal thing is having a friend who uses Paypal already and have him or her send the payment and make out a check to them: I only mention this because I have done this for another member here in Montreal that I personally know who also doesn't use or want to use Paypal.

I sent my donation through my wife's paypal and had no problem. I think it is tagged as "anonymous", but Nathan gets the money in any case.

btw: friendly Bump.

"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 05 Aug, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R D Moore wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

One work around the Paypal thing is having a friend who uses Paypal already and have him or her send the payment and make out a check to them: I only mention this because I have done this for another member here in Montreal that I personally know who also doesn't use or want to use Paypal.

I sent my donation through my wife's Paypal and had no problem. I think it is tagged as "anonymous", but Nathan gets the money in any case.

btw: friendly Bump.

( EDITED: Oh, the person I did the donation for was also a " myArmoury " member who just doesn't like or trust ON-LINE financial stuff ).

Obviously this type of " workaround " is only practical using people one knows well and in small numbers i.e. One donor finding one " willing " friend with a Paypal account. Wink Big Grin

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Wed 05 Aug, 2009 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Wed 05 Aug, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You don't even need to have PayPal yourself in order to send a donation to myArmoury with PayPal. All you need is a credit or debit card, and you can use that to send money to a PayPal account.
www.addisondelisle.com
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 05 Aug, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Addison C. de Lisle wrote:
You don't even need to have PayPal yourself in order to send a donation to myArmoury with PayPal. All you need is a credit or debit card, and you can use that to send money to a PayPal account.

Yeah, I agree but I got an account because it's convenient to receive cash as well, and thanks for reminding me that yes one can use Paypal without getting an account.. Wink Cool

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 06 Aug, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, getting back to the donating thing. Wink Big Grin

The activity seems to have slowed down a bit and I guess the Topic is due for a bump but it does seem encouraging that I see at least a few donations every day.

I also think that the industry professionals get a lot out of this site as almost all of them I would never have heard of if not for discussions here between members and formal and informal reviews.

The Industry Professionals Forum is really great for their P.R. and for us to see the work of both established makers and new makers trying to get know ! Sort of a " SO YOU THINK YOU CAN MAKE SWORDS " sort of thing ( Although one could substitute scabbards, polearms, armour etc .... ).

Anyway, business is difficult these days but makers should also consider making a small or larger donation if they can afford it ! Although, I think that if this resource wasn't available difficult times would be even harder !

Again, no " arm twisting " involved here I'm just saying to makers and to everybody else that even a small donation will be very helpful if enough people give a small amount it really adds up.

In general of the thousands of members it's around the same 50 to 100 people who contribute most of the funds, and this is somewhat understandable, as these same donors are generally those who are the most active in posting here or who spend a lot of time reading posts and the other content here, so they have more of a stake in keeping the site going and also don't want to let Nathan carry all the financial load.

So if 100 members each give $50 we get $5000, but if 500 members give $10 we get the same amount and also much more participation in helping the site and also it's also encouraging if more people care enough to make a small donation.

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

PostPosted: Thu 06 Aug, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mr. T ... Could we have another number, like the amount myArmoury needs to keep
solvent ? or perhaps how far from that number myArmoury is ? maybe if not in $$$,
maybe in perentages ? or did I miss it when I've been reading these posts ?

( Something tells me I should probably use the search engine ... B-) ... )

Of course, if its none of my business, I most certainly understand !
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 06 Aug, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
Mr. T ... Could we have another number, like the amount myArmoury needs to keep
solvent ? or perhaps how far from that number myArmoury is ? maybe if not in $$$,
maybe in perentages ? or did I miss it when I've been reading these posts ?

( Something tells me I should probably use the search engine ... B-) ... )

Of course, if its none of my business, I most certainly understand !

Well, only Nathan can give you a number or objective: I just pulled a number out of the air similar but a bit higher than what was raised last year: You have to realize that this is the " UNOFFICIAL " donations Topic thread and I'm not involved with the internal administration of the site in any official capacity, so I'm sort of winging it and trying to be " creative/motivational " and hopefully slightly entertaining in trying to encourage donations.

In the forceable future, days or weeks, I expect that Nathan will announce the official fund drive with whatever objective(s) he has in mind or any interesting stuff I don't know the details of to make the contest interesting ( I'm guessing based on past years donation drives ).

As far as funds: I assume there is a minimum to pay hosting and as Chad mentioned in an early post other costs like shipping stuff back and forth and other out of pocket expenses as well as some of the surpluses, if any, will either create a reserve for emergencies or be used to enhance the site features or for prizes ( if any ) But keep in mind again, I'm just helping out and I can speak for Nathan or make promises or commitments for the site and a lot of what I write is personal opinion. Wink Big Grin

( EDITED/ADITIONAL: Just noticed that while I was writing this Nathan added some information dealing with the objective amount. Wink ).

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 06 Aug, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

I also think that the industry professionals get a lot out of this site as almost all of them I would never have heard of if not for discussions here between members and formal and informal reviews.

The Industry Professionals Forum is really great for their P.R. and for us to see the work of both established makers and new makers trying to get know ! Sort of a " SO YOU THINK YOU CAN MAKE SWORDS " sort of thing ( Although one could substitute scabbards, polearms, armour etc .... ).

Anyway, business is difficult these days but makers should also consider making a small or larger donation if they can afford it ! Although, I think that if this resource wasn't available difficult times would be even harder !

Again, no " arm twisting " involved here I'm just saying to makers and to everybody else that even a small donation will be very helpful if enough people give a small amount it really adds up.

I just wanted to second this sentiment. I noted that quite a few professional types have made a donation but there are still plenty out there.

Let's do this everyone!

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Thu 06 Aug, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alright the guilt got to me...I dropped down some money for the site and of course PayPal screwed up when trying to set up my account with my new email...I really hate PayPal...but it went through so Nathan has some more of my money to keep the site up and I feel better for doing so. ;-)

Getting married in less than ten days so I couldn't give much...even though I just got a trust check the other day for 10 grand. Unfortunately it's gone mostly to the wife for our "house fund"...but some did go to the site. :-) Don't tell her though. ;-)
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 06 Aug, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryce Felperin wrote:
Alright the guilt got to me...I dropped down some money for the site and of course PayPal screwed up when trying to set up my account with my new email...I really hate PayPal...but it went through so Nathan has some more of my money to keep the site up and I feel better for doing so. ;-)

Getting married in less than ten days so I couldn't give much...even though I just got a trust check the other day for 10 grand. Unfortunately it's gone mostly to the wife for our "house fund"...but some did go to the site. :-) Don't tell her though. ;-)

No matter how small any donation is welcome ( Well I would try to keep it at least in the $5 or $10 range if possible i.e. 25 cent donation might be too small for Paypal to process. Wink Big Grin ).

Oh, and I hope I didn't guilt you into it " TOO MUCH ", but it not easy to have a fund drive without a degree of " encouragements " that might be a little guilt inducing. Wink But the goal it to encourage as wide participation as possible and certainly people may be in a financial situation where putting food on the table takes priority over hobbies.

All, the blah blah blah apart: Bryce thanks for the donation. Big Grin Cool

( Oh, and congratulations to you and your future bride and a long and happy life, " Live long and prosper " ...... yes, I' m also a Trekky Nerd. Wink Blush Laughing Out Loud ).

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Fri 07 Aug, 2009 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
M. Eversberg II

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 07 Aug, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I might have some extra grant cash left over this semester, as one of my courses don't require a book -- I'll see about it then. In November :/

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Michael Mann

PostPosted: Fri 07 Aug, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for a fantastically friendly and informative site!

I'm proud to join your ranks :-)

m

Ghosts in the Vé
www.gitve.com

Last edited by Michael Mann on Sat 15 Aug, 2009 4:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 07 Aug, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Mann wrote:
Thanks for a fantastically friendly and informative site!

I'm pround to join your ranks :-)

m

Thanks and your participation is very welcome. Big Grin Cool

Had a look at your web site and nice to know you are NOT the Miamie Vice guy ( Funny that you mention that on your site. Cool ) Not that we wouldn't welcome the other Michael Mann if he joined. Wink Razz Cool

One thing that is very nice about this site is the wide variety of people one can exchange with ! Cool

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 07 Aug, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well at this post we are at $805 Cool Not too bad considering that this Fund drive started only a few days ago but it does seem to have stalled a bit today.

Not too far from $1000 and a bit shy of 1/3 to the objective.

Last year we did get way past the objective, and although it would be nice to do this again, and it does give some breathing room in case of unexpected expenses meeting the objective or close to it just covers the hosting costs plus a " bit " I think.

It may be harder to get to the objective this year as people who could afford to give large donations may be only able to give a small one, so this is why I'm really putting emphasis on getting more people to donate rather than depending on larger donations by only a small number of people.

Gee ! I almost sound like one of those " TELETHON " hosts ....... ARGGGGGG ! ( Send Money or little Timmy will never again ................. or whatever ! Razz Laughing Out Loud ).

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Keeping " myArmoury " solvent !
Page 2 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: