Ever seen a temple sword? Largest Katana I have ever held.
Well I hadn't untill 2 days ago. We stumbled apon this huge sword while at a friends shop. The wood shop next to his was making a display case for it. I dont have any real info on it other then it appeared to be folded steel and it was huge! The blade wasnt rusty at all but it was polished well enough to see a hamon or not. I thought I could see some layers in the steel but no sign of a hamon. That doesnt mean it's not there though.

Kerry is 6'2" and he is the one holding the sword. You get the idea...

I didnt bring a camera and I wasn't going to take any pictures then I remembered I had my trusty cell phone...takes ok pics.

This has to be one of the more valuable things I have ever held.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

I have a few other pictures but they dont show much. I will get them up anyway becuase I am sure this will generate some interest from the group. I am still trying to get some info about the owner and the sword.

Last edited by Matthew Stagmer on Mon 27 Jul, 2009 8:02 am; edited 2 times in total
It is obviously just meant for 12 feet tall individual. Nothing really weird.

:lol:

Great pictures, seriously.
I'm guessing it would just be for ceremonial use? Is it sharpened or tempered at all? I saw some swords of that size in Scotland, and I figured no man could wield something of that size, unless he was a giant of course.
Nathan M Wuorio wrote:
I'm guessing it would just be for ceremonial use? Is it sharpened or tempered at all? I saw some swords of that size in Scotland, and I figured no man could wield something of that size, unless he was a giant of course.

slightly blurry, but I suspect the most likely culprit for the swords in scotland of that size will be that one in the Scottish National Museum - and no, it was'nt a combat weapon, but a bearing sword, carried at the front of parades.
it's actually got a hook on the pommel or cross, so that it could be hooked onto the belt to ease the weight carried.

if I recall it's late 16th C... but dont quote me on that.
and yes for those who've not seen it betore, those "little" swords on either side are a 16th C two hander, and scots style claymore...

if you want more pics, I'll take some next time I'm over there, I didnt have the tripod set up for this one, so it's a bit blurry.

Attachment: 141.65 KB
SNM_Bearing-sword.jpg

The odachi is one thing, but what I find very odd is the comically huge tsuba. That's not typical.
I was told that this is a "temple" sword. Meant for hanging in a temple and thats it. There were not many of these and it was often a bragging piece for a maker. Normally they were donated to a temple and now the vlaue of them is sky high.

If I had to guess I would say that it was a hard blade. It was not razor sharp but i wouldn't call it dull either.
JG, that's the exact sword I saw, I was looking through my iPhoto to see if I could find it, I have a picture that is almost identical to that one. In fact, when I saw it, I thought you had somehow gotten my photo! Were you there as well? It's a pretty cool place. I visited Scotland and England during my month long vacation in '05, I made sure to go to all of the castles and arms and armour museums that I could, I plan to go back soon.
Matt,
That is an awe inspiring piece. If it really is a temple sword then that's amazing! The only temple sword I have handled was a much smaller example in shirasaya. Had the cutting test info and sig on the nagasa and everything. It really is amazing holding a piece of history in your hand.

Cheers,
~A
My understanding is that temple swords were meant solely as ritual offerings (and an oportunity for the smith to show off). The Scotish sword, however, is correct size for an average Highland warrior (who were all also poets of the first ordor, and fantastic lovers, and cooked their haggis by breathing flames on it) this also goes for their decendants.
I still don't have much info on this piece. I can find out a little more. I think it was for someone over seas, but I am not sure who or where. I doubt they will let me break it down to check for sig on the tang, but you never know.
Nathan M Wuorio wrote:
Were you there as well? It's a pretty cool place. I visited Scotland and England during my month long vacation in '05

erm, not so much a visit, as it's my local.... the NMS was about, oh, a 20-min walk from my flat. Half that time if I walked up the road and jumped on the #2 bus. Though I've moved back up to the highlands for a short while just now.

The poor picture quality on that one simply as it was a quick reconnisance pic for future reference of the display bits, for arranging viewings and handlings of some of the assorted bits and bobs in the collection in detail, like the border reiver era padded jack, and the dudgeon daggers, though the Kelvingrove over in glasgow has a far better collection for arms and armour, thanks to the RL Scott bequest..

---

Nat Lamb wrote:
My understanding is that temple swords were meant solely as ritual offerings (and an oportunity for the smith to show off). The Scotish sword, however, is correct size for an average Highland warrior (who were all also poets of the first ordor, and fantastic lovers, and cooked their haggis by breathing flames on it) this also goes for their decendants.

look, please will people stop spreading these REDICULOUS stories about scotland.
this sword is in no way the correct size for even the sturdiest of highlanders to use in battle - it is solely sized that way for hunting use, where, much like the germanic boar sword, the weapon was designed to ensure the effective killing of the prey - the Haggis. as you're probably dimly aware, the Haggis, particularly the highland breeds, can be highly territorial, and there are few things more frightening than being charged by an angry Haggis. They may only be about 10 inches in length, but having evolved with one set of legs shorter than the other so they can run at speed on steep mountainsides, and can easily open up an arm or throat of an unwary hillwalker, with their speedy lunges. And God forbid you ever encounter the predatory great white Haggis, as those things can take a leg off in one pounce, dragging it back to their lair to gnaw on for a week.

I hope this has cleared up these misconceptions and ideas about my nation.

*cough*
JG Elmslie wrote:
Nathan M Wuorio wrote:
Were you there as well? It's a pretty cool place. I visited Scotland and England during my month long vacation in '05

erm, not so much a visit, as it's my local.... the NMS was about, oh, a 20-min walk from my flat. Half that time if I walked up the road and jumped on the #2 bus. Though I've moved back up to the highlands for a short while just now.

The poor picture quality on that one simply as it was a quick reconnisance pic for future reference of the display bits, for arranging viewings and handlings of some of the assorted bits and bobs in the collection in detail, like the border reiver era padded jack, and the dudgeon daggers, though the Kelvingrove over in glasgow has a far better collection for arms and armour, thanks to the RL Scott bequest..

---

Nat Lamb wrote:

look, please will people stop spreading these REDICULOUS stories about scotland.
this sword is in no way the correct size for even the sturdiest of highlanders to use in battle - it is solely sized that way for hunting use, where, much like the germanic boar sword, the weapon was designed to ensure the effective killing of the prey - the Haggis. as you're probably dimly aware, the Haggis, particularly the highland breeds, can be highly territorial, and there are few things more frightening than being charged by an angry Haggis. They may only be about 10 inches in length, but having evolved with one set of legs shorter than the other so they can run at speed on steep mountainsides, and can easily open up an arm or throat of an unwary hillwalker, with their speedy lunges. And God forbid you ever encounter the predatory great white Haggis, as those things can take a leg off in one pounce, dragging it back to their lair to gnaw on for a week.

I hope this has cleared up these misconceptions and ideas about my nation.

*cough*

Hey now you two. Go start your own thread. :cool:
I returned to the shop today that had this baby, but this time I came prepared. I got some more detailed shots of it and I now agree with Ric that it is most likely not HT. I do think it is hard enough that it wouldnt bend as bad as the one he had seen bent at a 45 degree angle.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

Here you can see that I was wrong before when I said the edge was not chipped leaving me to think it was hard.
[ Linked Image ]

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: