Hitting a stainless steel part of my cutting stand
I was practicing horizontal cut lately and could only cut at the most natural height. Thus I worked hard on it and gained a new insight. I put it to test on a 2.25" newspapers roll and proved successful. I could cut at the different sections of the newspaper roll. At last, I hit too low and I hit something hard.... I didn't stop and just finish the cut with full power. At first I thought I was just hitting the PVC tube, which wouldn't be a problem at all. However the last sound I heard the stainless steel part hitting the ground, which meant it was the highest flying item at the impact, taking most energy. I couldn't imagine what would happen to my sword if I hit that. I took it up and checked. My sword had penetrated the 2mm PVC tube and hit the 2.2mm thick, 3mm diameter circular metal wall. It left a 1mm deep, 1.5cm long scar on the metal and deformed its cylindrical as well. I checked my sword under light immediately and couldn't find any sign of whereabout I hit the metal with!

Shown below were the photos of the metal part:
[ Linked Image ]
The length of the cut
[ Linked Image ]
The depth of the cut
[ Linked Image ]
The thickness of the wall
[ Linked Image ]
The deformation of the wall

Now I was totally convinced that Deva Slayer was truly a battlefield, anti-armor sword. :D
The object in your photo is more than likely made of cast zinc with chrome plating, a very soft and low quality material. If you strike even mild steel with your sword you will probably damage the edge.
Adam Smith wrote:
The object in your photo is more than likely made of cast zinc with chrome plating, a very soft and low quality material. If you strike even mild steel with your sword you will probably damage the edge.

Thanks for your correction. :)
I would like to see the sword in question and the part of the edge that struck the stand :D
Adam Smith wrote:

However, if you look at the upper left corner of the 4th pic, there was a cut on the rim. It was made by a 15th century longsword of Windlass, and the sword edge chipped.

So it was not THAT soft that it wouldn't damage any sword.
Jonathan Atkin wrote:
I would like to see the sword in question and the part of the edge that struck the stand :D

I can't even locate where did the sword edge hit the metal. However, here's the sword in question:

[ Linked Image ]

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: