How a proper cutting stand should look like
Hi Folks!

I want to build me a cutting stand for cutting tests (what else...:-) )

please show me your stands, and tell me about problems or not problems with cutting stands.

mine should be mobile, but sturdy, small but stable all in all "perfect" for one handers and longswords (i don't know if you know a German saying translated a "Wollmilchsau" a "woolmilkpig")

so please show off your favorite place to test your blades.

many thx in advance

Andreas
The best additions I have seen on other's efforts include platforms that can exchange with the ubiquitous spike/peg. Another quite well done innovation is using plastic pipe (pvc or abs) to sheath the wood pegs themselves, as well as the sockets in the posts. This makes exchange of accessory or replacement easier than a wooden soaked peg that can be difficult to remove. Needless to say, the object of the excersise is to not cut into the stands or pegs. This brings up another option of hanging targets at a suitable height. One effort from a friend was a rather bouncy hanging PVC attachment for a regular stand. He had then tied bundles old garden hose lengths and this provided not just some entertainment but the bobbing and spinning bundle required good attention to cleave easily.

Cheers

GC
I don't know if mine is "proper" but it works very nicely. :) It's made of 6 2x6 boards. A hole has been drilled to accept PVC pipe for holding pool noodles. A cleat for a 4x4 post has been screwed onto it. For cutting fruit/melons/pumpkins, I add a length of 4x4 with a platform on top.

For cutting mats, I suppose you could use a shorter length of 4x4 in the cleat with a spike/dowel on top for holding the mat.

Attachment: 81.83 KB
Chad3.jpg
Noodle configuration

Attachment: 105.48 KB
Chad2.jpg
Fruit configuration
I built mine to be quite strong and adjustable. I wanted to go with three legs, as most of my yard is not all that level and three legs are easier to level then four legs. I also wanted it to be portable, and though it is built stout, it only weighs about 40# so not that hard to move around, and easier still if I take it apart.

One thing I have not completed yet is to glue a board on top of the existing cutting board so there will be no screws exposed on the top cutting board.

It is all built out of treated lumber, and is extremely stable. I have one shot below and more (if you are interested) on my website:

http://www.yeoldegaffers.com/project_cutting.asp

Ron

Attachment: 188.68 KB
cs_1.jpg

I found 2" diameter bamboo good for cutting fruit as one can either stick the fruit on the bamboo or just balance a melon on it.

Cutting the bamboo at an angle made it easy to pound a foot or two into soft ground.

If one hit the bamboo by accident it didn't harm the blades of my swords as opposed to the year before when we uses 3"X4" and a nail in the top to stick the fruit on: Not a good idea when I hit the nail with my sword ..... nice edge damage. :( But I sharpened those nicks out as they were not very deep nicks.
Thanks i knew im in the right hands here...:-)

I like the Idea about three Legs
i like the idea of exchangeable configurations

and i LOVE the term "Noodle configuration"...:-)

Ron i like your work and the height adjust ability

thank you guys now its time to go to the drawing board...:-)

Andreas

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: