Spangenhelms
How refined were these helms? I'm working on one, but my planishing skills leave much to be desired so I'm going to leave some hammer marks in. Also, one of the plates evidently had a lot of oil on it and it turned out black, so I heated the whole helm in the forge so it would all match. I think leaving the black scale in the dimples look pretty good so I was thinking of just doing a down and dirty sanding.
Re: Spangenhelms
Bob K. wrote:
How refined were these helms? I'm working on one, but my planishing skills leave much to be desired so I'm going to leave some hammer marks in. Also, one of the plates evidently had a lot of oil on it and it turned out black, so I heated the whole helm in the forge so it would all match. I think leaving the black scale in the dimples look pretty good so I was thinking of just doing a down and dirty sanding.

I don't think that it would be at all historically implausible, especially if you're going for an "average joe" look. Frankly, I like the rough and ready look you're talking about. Makes me think of someone who's been out on campaign for a while. Post some pics when you finish!
Leaving firescale on metal plates is not unheard of. Painting it, however, is probably just as common.

M.
+ painting it would prevent rust to appear and it's a nice and cheap way to easely recognise eachother
What period are you aiming for? In the Migration Age, spangenhelms were incredibly high status. In the, say, 10th. C. not so much anymore.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: