Go to page Previous  1, 2

I've had a few nicks and cuts here and there from the occasional carelessness. I think we're all guilty of that from time to time. A few months back I was splitting some kindling with my A&A Nordland axe. As I struck the wood, the axe twisted in my hand slightly and hit at an oblique angle. The blade bit in diagonally, cut all the way through the wood and into my finger. I could feel the clunk as it hit bone. I know it bit into the bone a little because it was still really sore up until just a few weeks ago; even after the cut healed. I was lucky. Just a little more force and I probably would have chopped my finger (or two) clean off. I've since reworked the edge to minimize the risk of that happening again. Sharp enough to chop wood, but dull enough that it won't bite my hand in case of a mishap like before. I think that these kind of injuries are actually good for us. They teach us hard lessons, and give us scars to remember them by.
I almost hesitate to raise this example amongst these "honorable" wounds, but to date my worst sword injury ocurred when a carelessly positioned scabbarded Schiavona slid down the wall it was leaned against and the hilt mashed my "bare" left big toe.

Cue a sudden outburst of profanity whilst hopping around on one foot. I couldn't get a shoe on for a week and the pain/bruising lasted about a fortnight. Too embarrased to admit the event to the other members of the group

Martin
Martin Francis wrote:
I almost hesitate to raise this example amongst these "honorable" wounds, but to date my worst sword injury ocurred when a carelessly positioned scabbarded Schiavona slid down the wall it was leaned against and the hilt mashed my "bare" left big toe.

Cue a sudden outburst of profanity whilst hopping around on one foot. I couldn't get a shoe on for a week and the pain/bruising lasted about a fortnight. Too embarrased to admit the event to the other members of the group

Martin

A hilt strike is perfectly legitimate, if you ask me. :D
Here's the picture to Christopher VaughnStrevers post:

Attachment: 15.46 KB
sword-injury.jpg

Wow, well that certainly looks like a good hit.
Yikes. I know a guy who got a similar-looking self-inflicted wound on his foot from a 24-inch Cold Steel machete. Not a technically a sword, but awful close. Alcohol was involved.
Ah yes, alcohol and cold steel blades, a bad mixture, like alcohol and, well anything.
Stabbed in the thigh, stabbed under the eye, cut to the bicep, cut to my cheek, crushed finger through my gauntlet.

My armour does a good job of keeping me protected.
Never get in a sword fight over a woman.

At one point, I failed to give a nice enough compliment to a friend's lady. So, in jest, he challenged me to a mock duel (with blunt rapiers). After a few passes, I planted my foot wrong for a lunge, and sprained my knee.

So, as I said, never get into a sword fight over a woman.

Last edited by Jim Mearkle on Mon 14 Jun, 2010 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
I suffered a ton of nicks, cuts, and scrapes over the years - mostly from working on swords, such as doing grips, scabbards, profiling an edge, etc. Nothing too serious as of yet; and I hope to keep it that way. I try to be very safety concious when working with sharps.

The worst injury that I have personally had was with an Albion Mercenary. I was at Dragoncon in 2009 wearing a full harness sans helmet. I found a large comfy chair to sit down in. As I began to sit down, the tip of my scabbard caught a coffee table leg (whereas I had originally positioned the tip to go BETWEEN the table and chair). My momentum carried me downward and the sword scabbard slid though its suspension and upward toward my face. The pommel caught me right below the eye. It cut me a tad, brused the bone, and swelled the eye a little. Another half an inch or so, and I'd have been alot worse off.

Here is a picture I took of my boo-boo before it started swelling and turning green/purple:

So, I got a shiner from a sword. Not as bad as it could have been, but an unanticipated injury all the same. Once that could have been avoided had I been wearing a helmet. :lol:
broken-heart
Yup, the first cut is the deepest... so I saw this sword from an artisan I will not mention, and I realized that buying it would cause everlasting harm to my home life, so I renounced its' charms forever. I still think of that sword now and then, though time does help in the healing process ... ah, just to hold her, but no....forbidden lust.
I've been axed in the nuts. Not a sword wound granted but a Daneaxe, wrong place wrong time scenario I had already been tripped by someone else but (and I still don't know who did it) someone swung their axe down right onto my tackle as well as splitting open some skin on my inner thigh right leg.

Lucky for me it was blunt and I happened to move away from the worst. I'd show you pic's but would most likely get arrested.

Other wound would be finger tip of my 3rd finger left hand, completely taken off and not able to be sewn back on. My own fault though.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: