Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > THE WINNERS: Givin' Away Some StuffContest Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Michael Curl

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats!!!
E Pluribus Unum
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Well, I think I understand what you mean but I don't think Nathan or Chad actively ask people to donate prizes but they do " work " with them in the sense of being appreciative of makers or others who decide to contribute prizes on their own.

I've approached makers and vendors in the past to participate in contests. Some have agreed and we've come up with successful contests as a result. Others have approached me unsolicited and donated stuff for prizes. Many more have promised things and never came through.

People often don't realize how much time has to be put into these things to get them off the ground. In this one, Tod basically just sent us some stuff and told us about it. He made it quite easy Happy

Quote:
In some cases Nathan gives away prizes he has paid for himself or pieces of his personal collection.

A few too many perhaps, but I don't regret a thing.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations, guys! Looks like two excelent items have found a good home indeed.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Well, I think I understand what you mean but I don't think Nathan or Chad actively ask people to donate prizes but they do " work " with them in the sense of being appreciative of makers or others who decide to contribute prizes on their own.

I've approached makers and vendors in the past to participate in contests. Some have agreed and we've come up with successful contests as a result. Others have approached me unsolicited and donated stuff for prizes. Many more have promised things and never came through.

In any case those that did donate deserve our thanks and even more those who did so without being asked like Leo for which I have very good reasons to be grateful for. Wink Big Grin

Obviously no one is obliged to donate anything. Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Jean and Tim; very nice prizes. Happy
www.addisondelisle.com
Hugo Voisine

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations to the winners ! Happy
« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The prizes have been shipped (Sad for me; Happy for the winners). Please let us know your thoughts when you get them.

Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
The prizes have been shipped (Sad for me; Happy for the winners). Please let us know your thoughts when you get them.

Happy

Well I'm starting the compulsive clicking away on the shipping web site Tracking: Sorry for any brown outs or power failures as I monopolize too much of the electrical power in North America. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud

Should be something between 5 to 10 days to get here including clearing Canada Customs and arrive.

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Thu 16 Jul, 2009 3:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

Happy

Thanks Chad! I will post my impressions for sure...in fact, I'm really excited to see what those impressions are!
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Chad Arnow wrote:

Happy

Well I'm starting the compulsive clicking away on the shipping web site Tracking: Sorry for any brown outs or power failures as I monopolize too much of the electrical power in North America. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud

Should be something between 5 to 10 days to get here including clearing Canada Customs and arrive.

You should do a review; I'd like to see how that one performs.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well all I would like to say is that I am thrilled that Tim and Jean are the winners, I don't know either of you so no agenda there, it is just that I recognise both of you from threads we have all contributed to so we are clearly interested in the same sorts of things (excepting Jean who seems to be interested in everything judging by the number of posts!).

As for being generous - not at all. How could I put a price on the resource that is myArmoury? I have paid back a fraction of the value of what has been given to me by all of you, so frankly I still think I have the bargain end of the deal.

I hope you both like your goodies. Congratulations.

Regards

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:

M.

Well, there's already one review of the piece Jean won:

Tod's Stuff Bone-handled Baselard

A hands-on review by Chad Arnow

I'm sure he'll chime in with his thoughts when he gets it. (Jean always chimes in) Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Maurizio D'Angelo

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

hi, Jean
we are waiting for your comments.
Describe also the anxiety of expectation.
Perhaps it is off-topic, but the wait is anxiety, when issues, whatever.
I expect a book from my favorite author, the parcel was lost.
Fortunately it was found, it arrives tomorrow. I am very happy. Happy

Regards
Maurizio
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maurizio D'Angelo wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

hi, Jean
we are waiting for your comments.
Describe also the anxiety of expectation.
Perhaps it is off-topic, but the wait is anxiety, when issues, whatever.
I expect a book from my favorite author, the parcel was lost.
Fortunately it was found, it arrives tomorrow. I am very happy. Happy

Regards
Maurizio

Well, at this point anxiety isn't a factor and this would only happen if the package is delayed more than what would be normal.

Canada Customs isn't a problem it's only a delay depending on how long it takes them to clear the package: This can be a " rubber stamping " taking seconds or it takes a number of days if they are dragging their feet.

Also, some packages get through without having any taxes to be paid and some get inspected an taxed: It all very very random. WTF?! Big Grin

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Thu 16 Jul, 2009 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
M. Eversberg II wrote:

M.

Well, there's already one review of the piece Jean won:

Tod's Stuff Bone-handled Baselard

A hands-on review by Chad Arnow

I'm sure he'll chime in with his thoughts when he gets it. (Jean always chimes in) Happy

Yes the review and the very nice pics are already here on " myArmoury " but I can still have subjective impressions ( aesthetics and handling ) to add to the review and I can do a little light test paper cutting.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leo Todeschini wrote:
Well all I would like to say is that I am thrilled that Tim and Jean are the winners, I don't know either of you so no agenda there, it is just that I recognize both of you from threads we have all contributed to so we are clearly interested in the same sorts of things (excepting Jean who seems to be interested in everything judging by the number of posts!).

As for being generous - not at all. How could I put a price on the resource that is myArmoury? I have paid back a fraction of the value of what has been given to me by all of you, so frankly I still think I have the bargain end of the deal.

Regards

Tod

Yup, I do sort of have wide interests in all sort of weapons, armour, military history, tactics, art etc ...... Wink Big Grin

Well, I still think the results are " generous " but I do understand that you also feel that you are giving a little back to this great site that certainly is helpful in having a forum for discussion as well as a way to get your work seen and constructively criticized and appreciated ! The feedback is part of the human need to have meaningful exchanges with people who can understand your work in it's historical and it's modern context.

Oh, and I'm really glad you did decide to donate these prizes. Wink Big Grin Cool

Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leo Todeschini wrote:
Well all I would like to say is that I am thrilled that Tim and Jean are the winners, I don't know either of you so no agenda there, it is just that I recognise both of you from threads we have all contributed to so we are clearly interested in the same sorts of things (excepting Jean who seems to be interested in everything judging by the number of posts!).

Regards

Tod

Thank you for making this possible Tod! I'm super excited to win this piece. I've admired your work from afar for a while and am really looking forward to having this piece in my hand so I can admire it a little closer! Thanks again, it's very kind of you to donate this piece.

-Tim
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jul, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Was starting to get a little " ANTSY " since the Tracking wasn't telling me much more than the package had a tracking number and that the package was still not in the system/shipped yet: This was still the results late last night about 2 or 3 days after the shipping was initiated !

Well, now the Tracking is back on TRACK and the info is even on the Canada Post site as having left the U.S.A. , so everything look on schedule as the next tracking info should be when it gets to Canada Customs and is then cleared and handed off back to canada Post for shipping ....... then it has to get from the point of entry to Montreal and then sorted and out for delivery. Wink Big Grin

From previous experience I'm guessing mid to late next week, if really really lucky Monday or more probably Tuesday. ( No emoticon for crossed fingers. Razz Laughing Out Loud ).

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jul, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just to calm the nerves of Nathan and Chad I'm posting this about 1 hour after the dagger arrived " safely " and in the same shape it was mailed. Wink

Will get back to this later tonight or tomorrow with a more detailed post about impressions as they come to me do do the dagger justice as this is a short comment.

Very very nice aesthetics and very nice handling and initial impressions confirm all of Chad's review of the piece and it does look and feel more like period work than a modern knife. ( Will see if I have things to say that Chad didn't think of in his very good review i.e. my subjective impressions ).

In short " SEXY " and a joy to hold and to look at. Big Grin Cool

Thanks to Leo for his great generosity, even if he is too modest to want to make a big deal out of donating, it sure is a really " NICE " big deal for me and I'm sure to the other winner.

So thanks again to Nathan for this very much appreciated addition to my collection. Big Grin

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are a few comments about the basilard:

Handling is very good but I think there is more " presence " in the blade than what Chad said in his review: True the balance point is very close or almost at the guard but the blade is fairly thick and has a lot of mass for it's size and just enough forward weighting to give a good wrist snap cut. This forward weight also makes transitioning from a hammer grip to an ice pic grip easier with just finger manipulation than a too much in the handle balance.

The blade feels substantial and is heavier bladed than the A & A Aunlaz dagger that I also have.
http://www.arms-n-armor.com/dagg216.html

These two daggers should have similar function and I think the Aunlaz may be a basilard using a different style of guard and " pommel " assembly but in handling both types of guards do a good job of locking in the hand with a very secure grip.

The basilard came fairly sharp but it only took very minor use of a diamond hone and a Spyderco Sharpmaker ( Triangular ceramic sharpeners in a synthetic base set at a good sharpening angle ..... been using these for decades. ).

These was only a very small secondary bevel as received and the very light sharpening hasn't changed this i.e. I did a good job of sharpening without adding to the secondary bevels and only " refined " and already sharp blade to scary sharp from paper cutting sharp. ( Good steel and heat treat ).

With knives I prefer a sharper edge than with a sword.

The handle is a joy to " HANDLE " and I can see why this style was a popular design. Love the detail work on the tang.

As seen in Chad's review the tang is a reverse tapering tang that gets thicker near the " pommel " end and this probably bring the balance back a bit. ( Back in a good way. Wink Big Grin ).

Most modern " tactical/custom " knives do the opposite in that a tapered tang becomes thinner near the back of the knives: The fact that the basilard does the opposite doesn't mean that either is inherently better but it is something I haven't seen before and I am curious about the design decision or the original basilards on which this may be based. ( Always interesting to learn new things .... Wink ).

Although not a huge knife it feels substantial and railroad engineered strong which is something I really like. Big Grin Cool

Oh, if you go back and read Chad's review and look closely at the pic of the chape you may notice some very nice detailing I hadn't noticed when I first read the review and that Chad didn't mention: This is a very nice but subtle detail feature that one can easily miss and is very attractive.

Oh, did I say that I really like this dagger Question Well, I guess I did quite a few times already but it deserves being repeated a few times ..... Thanks again to Leo and to Nathan for the knife and to Chad for having the pain of having to send it off and NOT being able to play with it anymore. Laughing Out Loud

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > THE WINNERS: Givin' Away Some StuffContest
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: