Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Boar Skin Armor? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Boar Skin Armor?         Reply with quote

Perhaps this isn't the right place to ask this, but it is Off-Topic...

I am plotting a Viking/Norse/Scandinavian/Vendel/Celtic/etc campaign for Dungeons and Dragons. I thought a good first adventure would be acompanying the local jarl on a boar hunt (at which point the local hag seeks to destablize the region by bumping him off with a magically controlled bear, but that's another story). To help individualize and reward members of the group I figure the person who deals the final blow should be rewarded in some way. For that purpose I thought of a boar's tooth necklace, but another idea hit me when I thought whoever kills the bear should have a nice bearskin to wear about the shoulders: Boar skin armor. However, I can't think of any major examples in history or lore where someone wears a boar skin (not that this negates the possiblity), nor can find any examples online.
So, my question to the board is this: Does anyone have any knowledge concerning the use of boar skin in history or legend?

As an aside for anyone familiar with 2nd Edition rules, do you agree or disagree on a bear skin being used as armor with AC: 8? How about boar?
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, first of, skin by itself would be of very little use as protective item - it has to be treated and then made into something usiable. As far as I am aware there is no menthioning in usage of boarskin in armourcrafting.

As for 2nd edition related qustion - I would say that unless enchanted, skin should not offer any protective bonuses. Make it into cloak and give it enchantment - and it will make a nice cloak of armour +1 or something, otherwise it is just a rather cumbersome cold weather outfit part Happy
Douglas S

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nothing special about boarhide versus bullhide, for instance.
Check out this book if you wish to learn more:
Leather & the Warrior by John Waterer
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cloak that alows the user to cast boar's endurance (the +2 con one in 3rd ed) on self once per day. Not too powerful, since it doesn't stack with normal boars endurance, but a nice boon to a low level character.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Boar Skin Armor?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic