Question about Viking sword hilt...
I found this picture of a very interesting viking sword hilt. It was listed as from the 11th century. It doesn't really seem to fit into any of Petersen's types.... My question is; what would the pommel look like for this hilt? Does anyone have an example of a similar hilt with a pommel?

Attachment: 20.87 KB
sword-guard 2.jpg

Looks like the cross for the Dybak sword (minus the corroded-on scabbard chape). Very pretty!
Just guessing of course, but I think it may have been either a type O or something resembling the one on the Albion Valkyrja.
At least I think it would look cool and appropriate with either of these types. It could have been something else of course, but the proportions of it as well as the artistic style seem to me to indicate a later type.
What really seems interesting about this guard is it's made of bone IIRC. Not too many of those around. The quality of the carving is just masterful, and if you look carefully it seems to have the remains of some silver inlay in some of those lines.
This is one of those bits that really makes me wish we had the whole thing. What a marvelous weapon it must have been.
Does anyone know where this one was found?
Here are the top and detail view as well.....

Attachment: 30.29 KB
guard-detail-top2.jpg

Attachment: 34.31 KB
guard-detail2.jpg

I wonder what type of bone it is. It is certainly unique.

Jeff Marlin wrote:
Just guessing of course, but I think it may have been either a type O or something resembling the one on the Albion Valkyrja.
At least I think it would look cool and appropriate with either of these types. It could have been something else of course, but the proportions of it as well as the artistic style seem to me to indicate a later type.
What really seems interesting about this guard is it's made of bone IIRC. Not too many of those around. The quality of the carving is just masterful, and if you look carefully it seems to have the remains of some silver inlay in some of those lines.
This is one of those bits that really makes me wish we had the whole thing. What a marvelous weapon it must have been.
Does anyone know where this one was found?
I have to admit I'm not sure of the material. It was described as bone in one of the Osprey books, but it may possibly be walrus ivory discolored by soil chemistry.
And thanks for the other view. I didn't know those surfaces were decorated.
Jeff Marlin wrote:
I have to admit I'm not sure of the material. It was described as bone in one of the Osprey books, but it may possibly be walrus ivory discolored by soil chemistry.

This has already been discussed in another thread. Osprey is wrong, this guard is made of copper with niello and silver inlays. It was found in the sea by a scuba diver twenty six kilometers from the Welsh coast (Pembrokeshire).
Jean Le-Palud wrote:
Jeff Marlin wrote:

This has already been discussed in another thread. Osprey is wrong, this guard is made of copper with niello and silver inlays. It was found in the sea by a scuba diver twenty six kilometers from the Welsh coast (Pembrokeshire).

You don't happen to remeber the thread do you? I'd like to know more about this piece....
My first search revealed this: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=10052
Thank you Nathan, yes it's this thread that I was speaking of.
Following my book the guard is dated of the first quarter of 12th century.
Jean Le-Palud wrote:
Thank you Nathan, yes it's this thread that I was speaking of.
Following my book the guard is dated of the first quarter of 12th century.

Great info in that topic. I just re-read it front to back.
If your should put in in a Pettersen category, it would probably be a type T, wich can in some cases have slightly bent guards. (ah, the wonders of being Norwegian)

However, keep in mind that Pettersens book was written 90 years ago, and only deals with Norwegian finds, though with some refference to foreign finds, IF the type was also found in Norway.
So purely saxon, slavic or frankish types from the same time period would not be included.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: