myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Celtic swords...bendy? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jul, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Of those 23, were any of the edges work hardened, like the earlier bronze weaponry?

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Maurizio D'Angelo

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jul, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Polybius, commander of cavalry before and after great historian, tells of the weak lame Celtic, the poor from having to force the warriors to leave the fray for make straight swords. (Polybius, Histories II, 30, 8, 33, 3-5) Plutarch also says that the swords of the Celts is deformed
easily (Plutarch Camillus 41, 5).
In fact we should challenge these data, since the archaeological discoveries swords Celtic had nothing less than the swords of other peoples, apart from only a few tribes (Italic and perhaps Switzerland). To be specified, however, that even within these tribes, only the weapons belonging to the poorer classes were actually forged in soft iron, and moreover of poor quality.
Perhaps only the ignorance of the Romans, it was thought that swords are folded in the tombs were a sign of poor steel, in reality it was a funeral Celtic.
Diodorus Siculus talked with fear of the terrible swords Celtic.
The weakness of the Celts were not their swords, but their discipline in battle.
Maurizio
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jul, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:
Of those 23, were any of the edges work hardened, like the earlier bronze weaponry?

M.
They were all workhardened allover, not just the edges, which is why the hardness measurements are generally a bit higher then bronze age swords (aside from the edges, which are similar).
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
- Bronze age living history in the Netherlands
- Barbarian metalworking
- Museum photos
- Zip-file with information about saxes
M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jul, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would much like to examine a sword like that sometime.

M.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Joseph E.

PostPosted: Sat 03 Oct, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Along with the design features and metallurgical composition of Gallic long swords vs. Roman counterparts were the differences in tactical approach for which each was designed. Form follows function; the Gauls favored longer swords for their whirling, slashing fighting style, while post xiphos-copy Roman swords were intended and used primarily as thrusting swords. It was not only the design of Celtic blades, but their style of use that subjected them to the type of forces likely to bend them during combat. Thrusting a shorter sword from behind a shield is far less likely to bend the sword, even if it were made entirely of soft iron.
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joseph E. wrote:
Along with the design features and metallurgical composition of Gallic long swords vs. Roman counterparts were the differences in tactical approach for which each was designed. Form follows function; the Gauls favored longer swords for their whirling, slashing fighting style, while post xiphos-copy Roman swords were intended and used primarily as thrusting swords. It was not only the design of Celtic blades, but their style of use that subjected them to the type of forces likely to bend them during combat. Thrusting a shorter sword from behind a shield is far less likely to bend the sword, even if it were made entirely of soft iron.
The length of a sword doesn't make it a cutting or thrusting sword. To my knowledge, the gladius was just as much a cutting sword as it was a thrusting sword (thin broad blade, often leafbladed in shape, all features of a cutting sword). It was short, as it was intended for use at very close range, where a long sword wouldn't provide enough room. Similarly, long swords aren't necesarily cutting swords primarily. I'm quite convinced most celtic sword were cutters, due to the thin profile. But there are Roman period long swords that were much more thrusting swords then cutting swords (narrow blades with thick cross-sections).
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
- Bronze age living history in the Netherlands
- Barbarian metalworking
- Museum photos
- Zip-file with information about saxes
Joseph E.

PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeroen Zuiderwijk wrote:
The length of a sword doesn't make it a cutting or thrusting sword. To my knowledge, the gladius was just as much a cutting sword as it was a thrusting sword (thin broad blade, often leafbladed in shape, all features of a cutting sword). It was short, as it was intended for use at very close range, where a long sword wouldn't provide enough room. Similarly, long swords aren't necesarily cutting swords primarily. I'm quite convinced most celtic sword were cutters, due to the thin profile. But there are Roman period long swords that were much more thrusting swords then cutting swords (narrow blades with thick cross-sections).

Forgive me if my post seemed too simplistic, but I stand by my assessment of the *primary* tactical intent of the respective blades. Gladii were certainly capable of effective cuts, and I am certain that Romans would have used this capability when appropriate, but even then the approach was different. You will agree that Roman tactical doctrine differed from that of the Gauls in that the Romans fought as a cohesive unit, and usually in a rather closer, line-maintaining order than their less-disciplined foes (though less rigid than traditional Hellenistic heavy infantry). It would not be common practice for a gladius to be whirled overhead or in wide, arcing strokes in the manner that a long sword would have been. In fact, IMO, such movements, and the footwork required to execute them, would tend to break formation. *Most* cuts made with a gladius would have been short, quick cuts to critical areas such as arteries, rather than bone-crushing, limb-severing blows.

Celtic longswords, on the other hand, (even those with excellent thrusting points) were designed for a different type of fighting. Again, thrusts would have been used when appropriate (even perhaps favored by some warriors), but most Gallic swords, and the swordsmen bearing them, were slashers, and this is, according to historical accounts, what the Romans feared. My original point was that the length and thinness of the majority of Celtic blades, coupled with the forces generated by powerful, arcing blows that the Romans typically did not undertake, would explain a greater propensity for blade-bending in Celtic swords during combat.
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We simply can not rely on Roman accounts for this topic of many others when the archaeology clearly shows otherwise. If you look at the La Tene I period swords they were shorter, had large mid ribs, and acute points. These would have been thrusting and slashing weapons, not cutters. La Tene II swords drop the mid rib, start getting longer and are in general more cutting swords. By La Tene III there is an explosion of blade types that range from pure cutting swords to designs that would be primarily thrusting swords. The La Tene III sword of spheres is a rapier or smallsword type of blade. Even the blades that look like 15th century cut and thrust swords would be mainly thrusting since they are still single hand and the COP and balance point would be very close to each other. This was a major period of warefare that was driving the development of the sword, and we see this impact on blade shape, size, and hilt design.

I simply do not understand why stories over 2000 years old seem to hold more ground with people then physical artifacts.

Shane
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Agreed. Roman authors had a tendency to "spin" any details about the Gauls to make them seem inferior. The texts are of little use when trying to compare the fighting styles of Gauls and Romans. They can only be considered reliable when they are consistent with the physical evidence.

We know that bands of Gauls travelled to southern Italy to fight as mercenaries for the Greek Tyrants. They fought as hoplites just like all heavy infantry at that time. The Roman image of the Gallic barbarian fighhting by himself with his clumsy longsword is simply untrue in most cases. They knew about phalanxes and shield walls and their equipment reflects these tactics. The main difference is the tendency of Gallic champions to challenge opponents to one-on-one combat before the battle commenced.
M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shane, what, in your opinion, differentiates between a "cut" and a "slash"?

Never believe propaganda written by anyone, ever; it lead us down the 20 pound metal club path in the past, and we do not need to come onto the swizzle-straw sword path now.

I would, however, like to experience the technical differences between the swords I am used to and a iron (or steely iron, or steel) sword that has been work hardened instead of quench hardened (and subsequently reheated and left to cool so it didn't shatter). That would be fun.

M.

Joseph E.

PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To my knowledge, gentlemen, I have not claimed period Roman writers as my only source, or even that they are entirely believable. At the same time, however, we should not entirely dismiss Roman accounts. We know, for instance, that the majority of Gallic fighters went to battle unarmored, as claimed by Roman accounts--though the reason for this was likely more economically driven than by bravado, as the Romans suggest, and the percentage of them who fought completely naked is likely exaggerated.

It is also true that the Celts of various tribes and regions and times fought in various styles, and certainly included units of elite professionals. Moreover, the sword was most certainly not the most common weapon on the battlefield. But, we are talking about the *swords* that were used, and the likelihood of some of them bending during combat. (Please note I have also never claimed that such was a common occurrence, but have provided a theory that, if it did happen, might explain some contributing factors).
As to the tactical differences, the weapons speak for themselves. While it is true that La Tene blades are found in a variety of shapes and sizes, it is my understanding that the most common style of the late period by a considerable margin are of the long, thinner cross sectioned type, with points varying between somewhat serviceable and completely blunt. The Gauls were not uniformly armed (which either points to loose organization, or separate specialized units with distinct equipment, both of which, in fact, may be the case within a large culture), but since there are large numbers of slashing swords found, many, (it seems most) mainland Gallic swordsmen of the late period were slashers. Mind, this does not mean they couldn't have been excellent at it, just that it could create the variables necessary for bending a blade in battle with more probability than with a short sword using different tactics.

`
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joseph E. wrote:
As to the tactical differences, the weapons speak for themselves. While it is true that La Tene blades are found in a variety of shapes and sizes, it is my understanding that the most common style of the late period by a considerable margin are of the long, thinner cross sectioned type, with points varying between somewhat serviceable and completely blunt. The Gauls were not uniformly armed (which either points to loose organization, or separate specialized units with distinct equipment, both of which, in fact, may be the case within a large culture), but since there are large numbers of slashing swords found, many, (it seems most) mainland Gallic swordsmen of the late period were slashers.

You need to do more research into the Port find and Alesia. These are two of the largest find sites for the La Tene III period and do not show that the average sword points for the period are just "somewhat serviceable to completely blunt". Even your examples of double fullered blades there wouldn't be the typical point type for the style.

M.

The high mid ribs on the La Tene I stuff really gives problems trying to cut through things, it isn't as bad as say a "T" backed blade though. They were pretty wide and had the thin cutting edges, so they were most likely used to thrust and make "slashes" or short draw type of cuts around shields. You are not going to be effective swinging one of these around like a banshee. For this time the swords aren't all that different from what others were using. They just moved away from it as time went on, where others didn't.

Shane
Joseph E.

PostPosted: Tue 06 Oct, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shane Allee wrote:
You need to do more research into the Port find and Alesia. These are two of the largest find sites for the La Tene III period and do not show that the average sword points for the period are just "somewhat serviceable to completely blunt". Even your examples of double fullered blades there wouldn't be the typical point type for the style.

Thanks for the tip. Yes, these are certainly capable thrusting blades:

I would surmise that these spatha-like swords were quite versatile, and used both for thrusting and in powerful cutting blows. Revisiting the thread topic, I would maintain that even blades of this style would be more likely to bend in combat than any of the patterns of gladii. Almost certainly didn't happen "on the first stike," and I'd guess was actually a *rare* occurrence, but simple physics would dictate that a longer, heavier bar of steel generates greater momentum and force at its end when swung. If that bar somehow strikes on its flat against some object, is likely to have a much larger amount of material out beyond that 'fulcrum' than a shorter bar. These factors simply make a longer sword more susceptible to bending in combat when swung, and we can expect that the swords above were swung with great vigor as well as thrust.

Please keep in mind that I am a Celtic enthusiast, and am in no way disparaging Gallic weaponry or tactics. I simply chimed in when someone asked why there aren't accounts of gladii bending in combat and what factors might make the Celtic blades more 'bendy.' I'm sure there were gladii that did bend, but I'm also quite sure it happened far less often, and under more unusual circumstances. Again, the tactical differences between the use of gladii and Celtic longswords also play in. The gladius simply wasn't used the same way as the long sword (even ones with points). The gladius was used for cuts, but as I mentioned, not typically swung overhead or in wide arcs, where the Celtic long swords certainly were, points or not. Notice I have said nothing about clumsiness in any of these posts--a sword swung powerfully need not be swung 'wildly.' But swung they were, and they were very long, and among thousands of sword strokes, some were probably struck 'wrong' against a shield or other object and bent.

Thanks again for the Port find tip. Enjoyed discussing this with you.
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 06 Oct, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What you have said about the physics of longer bars, higher momentum and stress does make engineering sense. I do not know the cross sectional thickness, and depth of the fuller like ridges. Can someone sketch an estimated cross section and guess at the thickness near the center ridges? From Shawn's comments, it sounds like these may thicken considerably at the center region or spine of the blade. That could give this type of blade a lot of stiffness and strength despite the length. (My Munich comes to mind which seems like it would be a delicate and flexible sword based upon a similar profile view, but realizing the true thickness of the spine and stiffness in hand always tempts me to test how thick a gauge of sheet metal I could pierce thrust straight through with it.)

As a matter of curiosity, I wonder if these longer blades could have been associated with Celtic-Gaul cavalry?

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Wed 07 Oct, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Would it be correct to assume that gladii were quenched and tempered throughout their service life, or would it vary based on era and point of manufacture?

M.

Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 07 Oct, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Examination of finds (Celtic) as early as 5th century B.C. era within regions that would now be considered Northern Italy found piled construction, perlite, bainite, martensite and other phases indicative of attempts at heat treat. Some discussion of sources of metal ores, their qualities, and who were adept at working them were also recorded in the Natural Histories (3rd century A.D., I think). I don't have all of the specifics, but think there are more than enough indicators to consider this as more than just a coincidence. I have no idea what percentage of weapons got this level of effort.
Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Celtic swords...bendy?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: