Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Tactical Swords versus historical re-creations Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jul, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nicholas Allan Wilson wrote:
It would seem that the tactical varieties are stripped down to be as light weight as possible. This is probably done to make them easier to carry by military personnel. Due to their light weight nature I have a difficult time seeing them outperform re-creations mainly because re-creations generally have more mass. Swords of past eras were seen more as primary weapons instead of as backups. Any other thoughts on this?

~nic

It depends on what you mean by "outperform". Outperform in defeating 15th century armour? Most likely a 15th century sword, designed for that purpose, would win out. Outperform in defeating a modern flak vest? Well, a sword specifically designed for that purpose would most likely win out. Then there are other factors: Outperform in ease of carry with 12th century garments or 21st century garments? Outperform in being gripped with gauntlets or tactical gloves? etc. After all, there's much more to performance than how well a sword cuts (otherwise we wouldn't have seen so much variation throughout the ages).

But again, as with my previous post, I'm being theoretical, since I view tactical swords much more in the realm of "what if".

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Nicholas Allan Wilson

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jul, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Indeed, for whatever reason, my thoughts were originally centered around the cut. Sorry for being vague. Its seems that any kind of comparison though is also vague considering that the basis of any comparison is circumstantial and subject to change as the circumstances change.

~nic

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Tactical Swords versus historical re-creations
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: