Good books for Schiavona information
Does anyone have any suggestions for "must have" books regarding the schiavona specifically? I'm unaware of any books solely dedicated to the weapon, but I know there are a number of books about basket hilts in general that feature them.

My main interest right now is in trying to differentiate the dating on period pieces, and I'd like more references.
I'm not sure of dedicated books, but Oakeshott's European Weapons and Armour: From the Renaissance to the industrial Revolution has a section on the types of Schiavona and should have some other sources listed in its bibliography. I hope this helps,
Dan
M.Aleksić, Medieval Swords from Southeastern Europe
Hi Dan,
I have Oakeshott's book already, but I definately agree with you that its a good work.

George,
I'm not familiar with that book. Can you tell me anything about it?
Well I haven't got my copy at the moment, but the author cataloged about 400 swords from the area in the title. There is a section about schiavona and it's origins. On the whole, its a brilliant book on a subject that has been worked on very little. (I'm talking about the area).
It is in english, although the translator didn't do a perfect job, but I still read it without a problem.
Thank you, George! I have been trying to locate a copy since you mentioned it. So far I haven't been able to find one in English, but your information has definately convinced me to keep searching.
Only english copies exist? As far as the author told me...
George P. wrote:
Only english copies exist? As far as the author told me...

Interesting. I only seem to find it on foreign sites (I believe they're Czech), so I was assuming it had more than one translation. I will look into this more.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: