Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Scabbard wear & tear; Historical plausibilities of longevity Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jun, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am not too familiar with extant scabbards, but maybe they were constructed in such a way that the only "friction" was along the flats? Particularly, the flat near the hilt. That's where most swords (assuming distal taper is present) are thickest.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jun, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would suppose a very good reason to cover a scabbard in costly leather, and not having a "wood-only"-scabbard is that animal glue (bone, hide, rabbit etc..) are much more suspect to dissolve when wet than modern pvc-based glue.

And on the subject of fit, I seem to remeber some scandinavian finds of scabbards with the inside stuffed or lined with sheep's wool. Could not a loose fit be compensated by stuffing the scabbard with something soft, and in the case of wool also have the positive effect of adding corrosion protective lanolin?

There is nothing quite as sad as a one man conga-line...
Al Muckart

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jun, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think Bjorn raises a very good point, that without some sort of covering around the slats there's going to be very little to hold them together.

As for leather-only scabbards, I can't see them being workable for swords. Relative to the leather, wood wasn't sufficiently expensive to be worth omitting the rigid core that, as Peter pointed out, helps protect the wearer from the sword but also holds the whole thing straight so when you resheath your sword you don't slice through it, your leg, or the hand holding the scabbard. While leather was expensive, labour wasn't so the additional time for a reasonably skilled maker to hollow and shape a scabbard core probably wasn't a major element of the final cost.

Leather was an expensive material in the middle ages. No I don't have exact records showing *how* expensive, but if you look at the way it was treated and recycled and how very very little of it was ever wasted (look at the pictures of scraps from York for example they're all tiny). The same was true of woven fabric, and the frugal recycle-everything attitudes to leather and fabric persisted right up until their production was fully industrialised.

Knives have much shorter edges than swords which makes it much easier to draw them without slicing the sheath than to draw a sword without doing so and means they have much stiffer sections for their thickness than a scabbard will. Even so, I have noticeable cuts on the inside of one of my my main knife sheath and I suspect this was pretty common.

Sheaths without a wooden core needn't be floppy though, medievally-tanned leather is a very different material to modern leather. Modern "vegetable" tanned leather is tanned in an industrial process using highly concentrated chemicals and rarely takes more than 24 hours. Medieval leather was tanned over months in pits of steadily increasing strengths of bark liquor. The result wet forms more easily and dries stiffer than modern leather. I have a small sample of proper pit tanned leather that I wet formed and which ended up stiff enough that it goes "knock" when rapped against a table. It'd make a great knife sheath, but I wouldn't want to use it as a scabbard even if it were twice as thick. There's also the fact that a layer of hide glue between the two layers of leather will add a lot of stiffness for the life of the scabbard but degrade totally over archaeological timeframes even under conditions that preserve the leather almost perfectly.

--
Al.
http://wherearetheelves.net
Johan S. Moen

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jun, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bjorn Hagstrom wrote:
I would suppose a very good reason to cover a scabbard in costly leather, and not having a "wood-only"-scabbard is that animal glue (bone, hide, rabbit etc..) are much more suspect to dissolve when wet than modern pvc-based glue.

True, but if that were a big problem one could simply use casein glue instead (I think Theophilus recommends casein glye for glueing shields, maybe in part because of its water/moisture resistance). You can, supposedly, waterproof hide glue to some extent as well, I seem to remember something about adding rosin to it (but I can't remember the source...bummer). Varnishing a wood-only scabbard could also be useful against moisture.

Johan Schubert Moen
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jun, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Al Muckart wrote:

As for leather-only scabbards, I can't see them being workable for swords. Relative to the leather, wood wasn't sufficiently expensive to be worth omitting the rigid core that, as Peter pointed out, helps protect the wearer from the sword but also holds the whole thing straight so when you resheath your sword you don't slice through it, your leg, or the hand holding the scabbard.

Weren't there later periods where leather-only scabbards were the norm? I thought a number of baskethilts and sabers were sheathed just in leather with a metal chape and throat.

I'm sure cost played a part in using leather-only, but the durability issues would be the same, right?

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jun, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looking again at the Dürer drawing I now think that we're seeing the exposed wooden core of the scabbard, with the leather torn away.

Attachment: 144.44 KB
durer.gif

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jun, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's another--a damaged leather-only(?) messer scabbard that leaves the blade exposed. The image depicts men torturing Jesus. Such figures typically are shown as ugly, coarse, etc. The damaged scabbard is likely part of that tradition.

Attachment: 144.3 KB
scabbard.gif

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
I Sam

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jun, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling addresses an assumption I'd always made that would greatly extend the longevity of a scabbard: Discarding the scabbard before a fight - assuming, of course, one was not jumped or ambushed, but my ken of the chivalric code is that such dastardly tactics were not widely or often used. So then, unless one were set upon suddenly, I would think a scabbard, given proper TLC could have a good, long life-expectancy.

I can't imagine that, given the collective knowledge myArmoury, this next simple point would be over looked, and so I can only assume it's a stupid question, but I have to ask it nonetheless. Wouldn't most folks who carried a sword around with them on a daily bases back in the day be either A) wealthy enough to afford a new scabbard if he scuffed the old, or B) have the skill set necessary to make his own? --maybe not the mad skillz of say, for instance, Brian "The-Scabbard-Genius" Kunz, but at least be able to carve out a couple slats, glue them together and wrap it some leather? My own complete lack of wood- and leather-working skill notwithstanding, I can't imagine it's exactly rocket-surgery or brain-science to cobble together a serviceable scabbard that would protect the wearer, surrounding people, and the blade. But that's pure ignorance speaking and begging to be enlightened. So, enlighten me, if you please.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jun, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I Sam wrote:

I can't imagine that, given the collective knowledge myArmoury, this next simple point would be over looked, and so I can only assume it's a stupid question, but I have to ask it nonetheless. Wouldn't most folks who carried a sword around with them on a daily bases back in the day be either A) wealthy enough to afford a new scabbard if he scuffed the old, or B) have the skill set necessary to make his own?

Well, you're assuming that swords were carried every day. When not at war, it may not have been appropriate to wear a sword and was supposedly not legal in certain locales at certain times.

Also, while a middle class soldier may have had the skills, someone high-born may not have ever had to do any labor of that sort. They had people to do it for them. Happy But as you say, they probably could have afforded a new one.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jun, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If a fine and pristine sword is a mark of status for one class, maybe a battered scabbard is the mark of status for another. One of the things I've noticed in late 15th/early 16th c. images of the Massacre of the Innocents and arrest and torture of Jesus is that the men depicted in those scenes often have very plain weapons--no decoration on sword or scabbard, sometimes not even a chape. These men are often depicted as being very crude. Maybe such men--thugs and mercenaries-- reveled in that image. Some of the Landsknecht fashions are affectations of campaign-worn clothing--one leg clad, one bare, slashed clothes, etc. Maybe heavy wear on a scabbard was a sign of veteran status and don't-care-how-it-looks-as-long-as-it-works attitude. We do the same thing today. People pay a premium for worn-looking jeans and ball caps. You can't bear to throw away that battered concert t-shirt you've had since you were 18, especially when you see identical new shirts being worn by kids who weren't born when you attended that concert. What soldier wants to show up in combat with pristine kit when all of those around him are filthy and broken-in? Likewise, if you're headed to prison for the first time you might want to shave your head and get some ugly tattoos.

Maybe people who kill for a living like to look like they've been around the block a few times.

-Sean

Nathan Gilleland

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jun, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jumping back to address Brian's original question, I think that scabbards were most likely made looser to accommodate likely changes, whether those changes were climate or fight related.

As for the rest of the discussion, it is my uneducated opinion that there was a wide range of different styles, coverings, and finishes according to personal preference. You may have a wealthy lord that wouldn't be seen dead without his wooden cored scabbard, leather covered, with brass or steel fittings. You may just as well have a veteran sergeant who revels in the campaign beaten scabbard that houses his sword. A poorer soldier who is handy with his hands may craft a scabbard solely from wood, deciding to wait on the leather until he can gain access to some (like myself). I seem to remember another post (can't locate it at the moment) where a story was referenced where a duel was about to take place and one of the combatants was intimidated by the slightly rusted, pitted, and obviously used sword of his opponent. (His sword was pristine if memory serves.) It only makes sense to me that the same could be said for scabbards, armour, clothing, and physical appearance. (Hence the bald heads and tattoos in prison Razz . Thanks to Sean for the comparison.)

In other words, whatever made your opponents look like Eek! or WTF?! or Cry would be desirable.

Seek Honor before Wealth,
Truth before Honor,
God Before all
Steven H

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jun, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I seem to remember an all leather scabbard/sheath in Archaeology of Weapons by Ewart Oakeshott. As I recall it was found rolled up like a sock!

I'll have to check the book when I get home.

Cheers,
Steven

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jul, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I Sam wrote:
assuming, of course, one was not jumped or ambushed, but my ken of the chivalric code is that such dastardly tactics were not widely or often used.

Only in official propaganda! Actual eyewitness (or participant) accounts of medieval and Renaissance fights paint a very different picture--street ambushes were very common features indeed.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jul, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
I Sam wrote:
assuming, of course, one was not jumped or ambushed, but my ken of the chivalric code is that such dastardly tactics were not widely or often used.

Only in official propaganda! Actual eyewitness (or participant) accounts of medieval and Renaissance fights paint a very different picture--street ambushes were very common features indeed.

Why one might wear a " secrète " maille shirt under street clothes as protection from ambush or assassination attempts. Wink Big Grin

The maille wasn't very effective from poisons though .... Wink Laughing Out Loud The Italians seemed to have a bad reputation for poisonings, Lucrezia Borgia being popularly thought suspected of many poisonings ( Truth or period gossip/slander/propaganda against the Borgias ? In any case the Borgias played rough ! ).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucrezia_Borgia

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Arne Focke
Industry Professional

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jul, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Scabbard wear & tear; Historical plausibilities of l         Reply with quote

Let me get back to the original questions and answer them from an archaeological point of view and a little from the view of a craftsmen, me being one the men working in an open air museum.

Sorry if i may repeat something that may have been said below, i just skimed through them.

Brian K. wrote:

There isn't a lot of documentation readily available, or surviving examples for that matter.

Only in the town of Schleswig there are over 150 of them from an archaeological context. But of course you are right, for such a long time period like the middle ages we know very little. A few hundred scabbards are next to nothing.

Brian K. wrote:

I've read this more than once, had supposedly cost as much or more than the sword itself. Essentially, the longevity of the scabbard would be necessary, and not considered disposable because of the cost.

I also read this a lot, but only on the internet. From the craftsmen point of view: Workforce cost next to nothing, so does wood and leather as well. The only thing expensive might be metal fittings, but those could be reused on the new scabbard. Thats not saying that a scabbard was never expensive, i am just speaking in generals here.

It has been said below, that leather must have been expensive, since it was reused till only small scraps were left. This is true, but all materials, even the cheapest ones, were reused in the middle ages if somehow possible. The treatment of raw materials can't be compared to our buy-and-cast-away behaviour we have today. It is a totally different set of mind.

Brian K. wrote:

One of the potential issues that I'm talking about is: Most of what I understand in the modern sword collecting world to be standard is a form fitting scabbard that snugly fits a sword to the point that it doesn't move around when sheathed, and if held upside down the sword will not fall out unless gently shaken. This is commonly the preferred fit, and most would assume this is the historical preferred fit. But what happens in a climate change? Perhaps the knight is on a journey that takes him from a dry climate to a humid climate. This would change the fit dramatically even though the change in the scabbard is subtle due to the humidity. As a designer of wooden cores, I know full well how the slightest friction can dramatically affect how the sword draws in & out of the scabbard.

For that point i am a little out of my league. I would suggest looking at scriptures from the crusades. If "sticking" swords were a big problem during those there might a mention of it.

Brian K. wrote:

Another issue would be also related to the form fitted nature of the wooden core. What happens if your sword is damaged? Most common would be any bending, or warping. This at the minimum would cause more friction, and pretty much ruin the fit. It would be near impossible to get the blade back to the exact shape it was before.

With that we can only guess. Maybe the sword wasn't sheated until the necessary repairs were made.

Brian K. wrote:

Last but not least, how often would a wooden core become cracked or broken. What was the repair method? If you made another wooden core, it probably wouldn't fit your old leather setup, as no two cores are alike in all measurements. This would essentially scrap the scabbard leather wrap too, except for the belt/suspension setup.

I don't know of any obviously reused leather wrappings around a new core.
Archaelogical finds show instead a lot of reused wooden cores. Well, we don't have these cores any more, but most wrappings in archaeological contexts are crudely cut to get them of the core. So a wooden core might have seen more than one wrapping in its lifespan.
I have two wrappings like that in a "heap" of finds i am evaluating for my PhD.

Greetings from Kiel
Arne

So schön und inhaltsreich der Beruf eines Archäologen ist, so hart ist auch seine Arbeit, die keinen Achtstundentag kennt! (Wolfgang Kimmig in: Die Heuneburg an der oberen Donau, Stuttgart 1983)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Scabbard wear & tear; Historical plausibilities of longevity
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: