myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Film 1066 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jun, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glenmen spoke much of what I liked about it.

Interestingly, they seemed to insert a deliberate minority of anacronisms here and there. You see a blade that is a clear type 14 with style 9 quillons at one point, and the bald Breton man wears the strangest helm when he duels against Ortgar.

The emphasis on the shield comes and goes throughout; probably because of the "hero effect". Swords seem oddly common for Anglo-Saxon England, but they're still a minority weapon.

Oddly, the Vikingr captain (the blonde bloke with the braids) joins the English army for no apparent reason.

They took the approach that Harald Godwinson had seized the throne (as opposed to having been appointed), and that he was killed not by an arrow to the eye (that was Leofwyn), but by Norman cavalry.

The forest sniper scene was a little...still for my liking, too.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jun, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Watched 1066:Battle for Middle Earth today and must say that while I generally liked the film, it sure had some rather obvious anachronisms (most of which M. Eversberg II already menthioned), also the weird "armour" the vikingar captain was wearing that consisted of small rectangles joined by what seemed to be wire, also the constantly untied helmet cheek guards, shields that were obviously NOT made of planks (as not once in entire movie you see a shield beeing split in any way), also some of the womans clothing was rather weird, which is, adly, rather common occureance in otherwise nice movies.
K J Seago

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

most of the cast are members of my group, Regia Anglorum,and some of them can actually act surprisingly! Big Grin
just another student of an interesting subject, Happy
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul, 2009 3:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

K J Seago wrote:
most of the cast are members of my group, Regia Anglorum,and some of them can actually act surprisingly! Big Grin

Thought I'd seen them somewhere before! You guys did a good job with that, I think.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Larry Kiernan

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looking forward to this one, at least it didn't go the way of "Freedom Within the Heart," the proposed Brian Boru/Battle of Clontarf film that Leonardo Di Caprio had supposedly signed on for. That one looks permanently shelved in the current climate...anyway, I think only Liam Neeson could do justice to "the Other Big Fella" of Irish history.
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to manoeuvre. Situation excellent. I attack."

Ferdinand Foch's communique before stopping the German advance prior to the First Battle of the Marne.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Film 1066
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: