A tale of two war swords
Hey folks,
I've been the proud owner of a Del Tin warsword (DT2142/DT2146) for several years now. I love that sword. It was originally a 2146, but I had Art Elwell change the blade to the more correct 2142. It has proudly been the "big boy" of my collection for much of the time I've been collecting. Well, it's off to a new home with forumite Steve Fabert to make way for an Albion Baron.

These two swords are visually similar and have some similar measurements. But I was checking the numbers, and the stats show some minor differences.

Del Tin:
Overall length: 47.75"
Weight: 3 lbs, 10 oz
Width of guard: 9"
Blade: 38.75" long; 1.875" wide tapering to 1.2"
Grip and pommel: 8.75"
Point of Balance (PoB): 6.75" from guard
Center of Percussion (CoP): ~26" from guard

Baron:
Overall length: 47.375" (120 cm)
Blade length: 37.25" (95 cm)
Blade width at base: 2.3125" (5.8 cm)
CoG: 5.25" (13.2 cm)
CoP: 22.125" (56 cm)
Weight: 3 lbs 11 oz (1.67 kilos)

I've always liked the handling of the Del Tin. The handling on the Albion felt completely different (in a good way). They're both good swords, but feel completely different. This is the first time I've been able to compare 2 "similar" swords like this. I guess it shows how similar lengths and weights do not make similar swords.

Just for fun, here are some pics:
[ Linked Image ]

Attachment: 45.06 KB
2142hilt.jpg

Hi Chad,

I had the 2142 also but it went off to a new home to make way for my Baron.

Sounds like simalar stories :D

Yes, these two swords have some things in common but in my honest opinion the Baron is much more lively in handling. Then again your talking about a major difference in price. The research involved to create this weapon really paid off.
Gary,
I'm really looking forward to having the Baron in my mitts. The Next Gen's are a whole different game than the stuff I've owned before.
I have a Baron on the way as well. It was great to be able to handle one at the Blade show. I was extremely pleased with its handling characteristics....very responsive!

James
Chad Arnow wrote:
Gary,
I'm really looking forward to having the Baron in my mitts. The Next Gen's are a whole different game than the stuff I've owned before.

Agreed, these swords are a real treat. Historical accuracy and performance certainly go hand in hand.

Quick note:

It's amazing how the shape of the grip makes such a huge difference. The Baron's grip is much more comfortable since it's more oval and tapers towards the pommel and guard. The pommel is also thinner and tapers towards the rivet block making it more comfortable to hold when you need that extra leverage.

Good stuff :D

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: